Balk Question

MT73
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2607 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

20 minutes ago, MT73 said:

Question: Is the balk nullified because the batter and all runners advance?

Or do we enforce the balk?

Since you clearly understand the balk rule, you must be wondering whether the batter must advance because of a batted ball, or whether the HBP satisfies the "batter advances" provision.

The answer is that, with bases loaded, if the batter advances for any reason, then the balk will be nullified. HBP, BB, DSK without a play, all will count and nullify the balk. A batted ball is not required (or it would appear in the balk rule instead of "the batter advances").

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maven said:

Since you clearly understand the balk rule, you must be wondering whether the batter must advance because of a batted ball, or whether the HBP satisfies the "batter advances" provision.

The answer is that, with bases loaded, if the batter advances for any reason, then the balk will be nullified. HBP, BB, DSK without a play, all will count and nullify the balk. A batted ball is not required (or it would appear in the balk rule instead of "the batter advances").

I'm guessing this is the interp of OBR, since the ball isn't dead immediately.  How is this affected by the FED rule set since the ball would be dead upon the balk?

I'm guessing this is the interp of OBR, since the ball isn't dead immediately.  How is this affected by the FED rule set since the ball would be dead upon the balk?

Ball is dead immediately in FED... there was no HBP.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, maven said:

Thank you.

Yes, that was my mini confusion.

And yes, this was an OBR interpretation question.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:52 PM, Rich Ives said:

Doesn't this answer the question?

Why do you have to remind us weekly that you can be such an A$$?  He didn't ask a stupid question.  The rules book is full of vague and confusing language.  Nowhere does it specifically say, "Including reaching 1B on a HBP."  I can understand that a well-meaning official would question this.

On 2/26/2017 at 6:00 PM, maven said:

Thank you for being a true and classy Maven.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 6:27 PM, ALStripes17 said:

Ball is dead immediately in FED... there was no HBP.

Fed Justice:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the Grand Slam home run you thought you saw did not legally happen ... please strike what you thought you saw from your memories.  Let it bear no weight ... ZERO ... on the decision you have to make as to who is the better offensive team.  If the jury foreman/forewoman senses that you are placing any weight on the evident Grand Slam, which, as I clarified, did not legally happen, then you will be replaced and you will possibly face a charge of contempt."

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the Grand Slam home run you thought you saw did not legally happen ... please strike what you thought you saw from your memories...."

I've had the reverse happen as well (OBR): no stop balk (called), F1 pitches, batter hits a double down the line, but nobody moves because a balk was called! I think my partner might have said, sotto voce, "run, son!"

• Like 1