Sun Shade Visor in Mask

Umpire_ar
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2485 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As a rule I don't wear shades behind the plate. I've seen the piece that goes in the mask, the visor. What are your thoughts on that piece of equipment? 

Specifically - Is it worth trying out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Brent 
CAUA Umpire 
Arkansas

Its sole purpose is to keep the sun off the brim of your hat. I've swapped out masks on sunny days, and have felt the difference, so I do believe they work.

The down side might be decreased air circulation, but in my brief on-field experiments, the shade did keep things cooler.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Umpire_ar said:

As a rule I don't wear shades behind the plate. I've seen the piece that goes in the mask, the visor. What are your thoughts on that piece of equipment? 

Specifically - Is it worth trying out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Brent 
CAUA Umpire 
Arkansas

Why don't you wear sunglasses when working the plate.  Why wouldn't you protect your most valued tool?  Make sense? :) 

Anyhow ... I like them for the purposes @kylejt mentioned, and I agree with them.   It his however personal preference so whichever version you like, go with.  Keep in mind what Kyle said, ...the sun shield on a mask keeps sun off of the brim of your hat, thus keeping it cooler.  Your brim shades your eyes somewhat, but to protect yourself, you should wear sunglasses on  bright days

2 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Can I ask the same question in regards of you shoving down the throat about Little League umpires and new products catered to them? Are you looking for a commission doing that?
I think the answer is no. Same here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

different because he talks about that where the situation suits the explanation.  Like I said ... the OP is looking for opinions on a visor, not WHICH VISOR to buy ....big difference

• Like 1

Just now, BT_Blue said:

Also... no one has mentioned that it looks cool too.

MAJOR reason!

BTW ...at camp last weekend Nic Lentz (MLB call up, #59) walked up to me after a drill and said "do you do a lot of day games"?  LOL .... I knew what he was saying, so I told him what I've said here, and then I said ....plus ....it's looks sweet! :D 

• Like 1

There are three things I have resolved, equipped and conditioned myself to never use as a PU: 1) use an indicator... I do not own one, 2) wear a jacket... if the temperature drops, it's a long sleeve shirt, plate coat, or bust, 3) wear sunglasses.

On each of these, I'll qualify it for colleagues: 1) if you need or want an indicator, by all means use one... just don't let it consume your attention when there is baseball going on, 2) if you need to stay warm, by all means go ahead... just don't look like a slob while wearing one, 3) if you need sunglasses, you need sunglasses, no biggie.

Each and every mask I own and use, save one (the FM4000... curses Jeff @Thunderheads and your grinding skills), has a visor. Back in Wisconsin, it not only provides shade but keeps rain from soaking my hat bill and dripping through my field of vision at the worst time (during a pitch, for example). Here in Arizona, it keeps those 30 cu. inches of space below your cap bill cool and a bit darker – when I throw my mask on, I no longer have to squint. And, I'm one who is taking my mask off and on alot... do I really want to be jarring or fumbling around with glasses? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Why don't you wear sunglasses when working the plate.  Why wouldn't you protect your most valued tool?  Make sense? :) 

Anyhow ... I like them for the purposes @kylejt mentioned, and I agree with them.   It his however personal preference so whichever version you like, go with.  Keep in mind what Kyle said, ...the sun shield on a mask keeps sun off of the brim of your hat, thus keeping it cooler.  Your brim shades your eyes somewhat, but to protect yourself, you should wear sunglasses on  bright days

It is how I was trained. I only have one field that I work where the sun is a problem for most HS games. I have a couple weekend tournaments that are during the day, so I was checking on the validity of using one or not. Thanks for the input!

Sunshade on all frames, I can tell a difference in full sun with regards to the amount of shade it provides. Suns out, sunglasses on, period...end of story. I hate to squint to see better. Glasses help me relax my face behind the plate which helps with neck muscle tension during a game. With glasses on and relaxed eyes I feel I can see the ball better plus it helps protect my eyes from dirt or mud getting into my eyes. I am even considering putting clear lenses into my ESS frames for night games when I need protection from dirt and dust. It's amazing how much crap gets pushed into your face while working the plate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWA_UMP said:

It's amazing how much crap gets pushed into your face while working the plate.

... including butt-hurt coaches and their "issues". :cool:

You bring up an almost sickening note... I'm sure this happens to you, too, for when a catcher jams his glove into the dirt / dust / mud of the plate area, and then immediately sets up to receive the next pitch... I'm already bracing myself for a high one and the forthcoming shower of crap in my face from it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MadMax said:

There are three things I have resolved, equipped and conditioned myself to never use as a PU: 1) use an indicator... I do not own one, 2) wear a jacket... if the temperature drops, it's a long sleeve shirt, plate coat, or bust, 3) wear sunglasses.

On each of these, I'll qualify it for colleagues: 1) if you need or want an indicator, by all means use one... just don't let it consume your attention when there is baseball going on, 2) if you need to stay warm, by all means go ahead... just don't look like a slob while wearing one, 3) if you need sunglasses, you need sunglasses, no biggie.

Each and every mask I own and use, save one (the FM4000... curses Jeff @Thunderheads and your grinding skills), has a visor. Back in Wisconsin, it not only provides shade but keeps rain from soaking my hat bill and dripping through my field of vision at the worst time (during a pitch, for example). Here in Arizona, it keeps those 30 cu. inches of space below your cap bill cool and a bit darker  when I throw my mask on, I no longer have to squint. And, I'm one who is taking my mask off and on alot... do I really want to be jarring or fumbling around with glasses? 

You don't want to know how I did that ...but it worked!  I dremel would be best.

Not true ........ a sunshield on a mask doesn't prevent you from squinting, the bill of your hat does.  And ...I've ALWAYS worn sunglasses while working the plate when needed ...and never ever had any issues with jarring or fumbling around with sunglasses ;) 

14 minutes ago, MadMax said:

... including butt-hurt coaches and their "issues". :cool:

You bring up an almost sickening note... I'm sure this happens to you, too, for when a catcher jams his glove into the dirt / dust / mud of the plate area, and then immediately sets up to receive the next pitch... I'm already bracing myself for a high one and the forthcoming shower of crap in my face from it.

I never think about that, but I will now... THANKS.

That being said. I need to look into lighter shade lenses for my Oakleys so that I can wear them on the plate and in low light games. Right now I have either "smoke" lenses or the Baseball Prizm lenses. Neither of them are truly good for that situation.