Batter Steps on Plate

Mike Pesson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2610 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

24 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Mike Pesson said:

Batter stepping on plate blocking umpire view when ball hits batter. Rule.  

It doesn't matter that he's on the plate, if that's what you're looking for. If the umpire felt he tried to avoid the ball and it wasn't on the strike zone, HBP. If he intentionally moved into it and it wasn't in the strike zone, ball. If it was in the strike zone, strike. Dead ball in all 3 situations. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mike Pesson said:

Batter stepping on plate blocking umpire view when ball hits batter. Rule.  

Dead ball ball or dead ball strike.  I think you're looking for an out and the only out that could occur here would be if the batter was hit by a pitched ball that was in the strike zone on strike three. Home plate is only relevant here as a guide to determine a strike.  

That's it.

5 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Dead ball ball or dead ball strike.  I think you're looking for an out and the only out that could occur here would be if the batter was hit by a pitched ball that was in the strike zone on strike three. Home plate is only relevant here as a guide to determine a strike.  

That's it.

And the pitch was strike 3.  Just to head off the next question -- no, the batter cannot try for first under the "dropped third strike" rule.

Guest Mike Pesson

Good observation on third strike rule. Question: If the behind plate official was obscured by the batter standing on home plate (on strike / ball call), can the field official be called into question on the play?

1 hour ago, Guest Mike Pesson said:

Good observation on third strike rule. Question: If the behind plate official was obscured by the batter standing on home plate (on strike / ball call), can the field official be called into question on the play?

If I'm blocked out because the batter moves onto the plate and is hit by the pitch, I'm pretty certain that the pitch was in the zone.

9 minutes ago, noumpere said:

If the batter moves onto the plate and is hit by the pitch, I'm pretty certain that the pitch was in the zone.

Not if it hit him on the ankle.

But your general point is taken--I'm imagining it likely would be in the zone. Call the zone the best you can in the circumstances and allow no argument about it.

But your general point is taken--I'm imagining it likely would be in the zone. Call the zone the best you can in the circumstances and allow no argument about it.

And if it had a chance at being a strike, we definitely aren't going to penalize the pitcher in that situation. The lean is towards 'strike' if there is any doubt on the pitch call with a batter that does that.

27 minutes ago, stevis said:

See my edit.  I was assuming I was blocked out so I wouldn't know the pitch hit the batter on the ankle. Also, it wasn't meant to be taken quite literally.

15 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Just curious - how often do you umpires see dead ball strike three?

I think I've seen it once in 35 years of playing and coaching.  

In the last 4 years since I've moved up beyond rec ball, I've seen it once - at a college club-level game, where the batter swung at an inside pitch and it hit his hands.

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Just curious - how often do you umpires see dead ball strike three?

I think I've seen it once in 35 years of playing and coaching.  

It happens when the batter swings and it hits him on strike 3. I see it a few times a year - usually in HS.

15 hours ago, Guest Nick said:

Didn't watch the whole thing (honestly... who would want to!) But they probably ruled it as an attempted swing... which blows.

On 2/22/2017 at 3:10 PM, beerguy55 said:

Wow...didn't think that would be so common.

Thought it would be more common for a batter to be hit by a pitch while in the strike zone.

Rizzo did it like 5x a year 2-3 years ago.