HOK Set

JDavis225
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anybody else get pain or fatigue in their forearms and hands after working HOK set for a while? I worked about 27 innings this weekend and now my hands are forearms are fatigued. On both the dish and bases I work HOK as advised by my assigner. It doesn't help that now I'm back at my regular job and have valves to turn and ladders to climb. 

I've found that if I use more of a sit position, placing the weight on my feet, helps. Opposed to putting all the weight on my hands/arms, which causes them to slip and, as you say, wears them out. This way I use my legs for support, rather than my arms. 

• Like 2

On the bases I tend to go hands on thighs lightly grabbing the fabric of my pants. I try and relax as much as possible between pitches as PU or BU. In A I walk into the pitch and rest my hands on my thighs. Working 5 or 6 games a day on the weekends is routine for us here in AZ. It can be a grind but having a strong core helps. Usually it's feet and legs that fatigue for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

On the bases I tend to go hands on thighs lightly grabbing the fabric of my pants. I try and relax as much as possible between pitches as PU or BU. In A I walk into the pitch and rest my hands on my thighs. Working 5 or 6 games a day on the weekends is routine for us here in AZ. It can be a grind but having a strong core helps. Usually it's feet and legs that fatigue for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with feet and legs. I'm in pretty good shape otherwise so I don't understand how this is happening. 

I didn't work a true HOK behind the dish when I used to do that. I would step in and out just like I would for heel-instep. So I wouldn't freeze myself into HOK. I have bad knees and would never be able to stand back straight if I just stayed like that.