Who makes the call

jjskitours
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2621 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

47 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I agree one should be chosen before the umpires walk to the field (preferably the assigner does it or it is automatically the senior umpire.) As for notifying who it is to the coaches. Should be pretty darn obvious since he is the one that should be doing the talking at the plate meeting on stuff that doesn't involve game management (line ups and the such.)

Not necessarily. We typically have the PU do the talking regardless.  If I'm the PU and not the UIC, I introduce my partners to the coaches and identify the UIC.  At least around here, that's considered proper. 

8 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Very well said. And these are educators … kinda pitiful. 

We shouldn't be too hard on them. We all have limited perspectives with our own priorities, and when we get an opportunity to spearhead a rule change, it's all too easy for what we write to inherit our individual limitations. That's why the text needs to pass in front of many eyeballs before being incorporated into the book.

18 hours ago, VolUmp said:

If you are running any more than 2-man, you need to determine a crew chief, and let the coaches know who is serving as crew chief at the plate meeting.

I can't say it any louder — sorry.

I don't see a volume button in the toolbar.

Yes, someone should be the UIC.  But, the plate umpire should still talk at the meeting, and you don't need to notify the coaches who is the UIC.

Unless, of course, you have some local variation on that.