Test Question - Pitching Conferences

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2592 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Head coach goes to the mound to talk to his starting pitcher, the first charged conference used during the game.  After the starter gives up a hit to the next batter, the coach replaces the pitcher.  After the reliever has finished his warmup pitches, the pinch hitter is announced.  The pitching coach now wants to take a timeout to talk to the relief pitcher.  

a.  the mound conference is legal...

b.  The umpire will deny the request.

c.  The coach may visit the pitcher but must remove him after the first batter.

d.  The visit is considered the second trip of that inning. 

Fairly sure it's A but just wanted to see if I could be missing something.  9-4c would be the rule, I believe.  Says you cannot make 2 trips during the same batter, but I don't think that would be this case. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the applicable rule but I think the correct answer to the question would be “c.”

NCAA 9-4-c. A coach may not make a second trip to the mound in the same inning with the same batter at bat. However, if a pinch hitter is substituted, the coach may make a second trip but must remove the pitcher;

1) In this pinch-hitter situation, a relief pitcher, having just been brought in to pitch, may not be removed from the game before pitching completely to one batter or the side has been retired (see 5-5-b).

4 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

I agree with the applicable rule but I think the correct answer to the question would be “c.”

NCAA 9-4-c. A coach may not make a second trip to the mound in the same inning with the same batter at bat. However, if a pinch hitter is substituted, the coach may make a second trip but must remove the pitcher;

1) In this pinch-hitter situation, a relief pitcher, having just been brought in to pitch, may not be removed from the game before pitching completely to one batter or the side has been retired (see 5-5-b).

I'm trying to wrap my head around some of these pitcher visits questions.  But let me discuss this one first.

I agree the answer is A as well because the coach comes out and REPLACES pitcher (not a visit).  Warm up pitches are completed now a pitch hitter is announced so the visit if they still have them (3) available in the game will be granted since this is the first visit during this batters at bat after he was announced.

And since your rule you said  "NCAA 9-4-c. A coach may not make a second trip to the mound in the same inning with the same batter at bat. However, if a pinch hitter is substituted, the coach may make a second trip but must remove the pitcher;"  

With that said that would be his first trip with new relief pitcher, now if he comes out a batter later for a new pitch hitter that would be a different story because that would be the second visit that inning to that pitcher.

Not wanting to brag, but I got 98 the first time through and I think this is the question I missed (maybe), if the Senor is correct.   But as Mr. M says I do not understand how this could be made out to be the 2nd trip for that pitcher, since he just came in the game, and PH has been announced. It almost makes me want to buy the 2017 BRD (RIP Carl :().

The answer is definitively A. It's a quasi-trick question and, in my opinion a poorly worded rule. The key to this question/rule combo are the words "may not" in 9-4-c-1. By rule, the pitcher can't be changed even if the defensive team wanted to.

Rule 9-4

c. A coach may not make a second trip to the mound in the same inning with the same batter at bat. However, if a pinch hitter is substituted, the coach may make a second trip but must remove the pitcher;

1. In this pinch-hitter situation, a relief pitcher, having just been brought in to pitch, may not be removed from the game before pitching completely to one batter or the side has been retired (see 5-5-b).

I had trouble with all of the conference questions, miss this one along with the others. Trying to now wrap my head around it and understand  

Is is this a legal conference because the new RP had started his warmups in anticipation of facing Batter "A".  Since PH "B" was announced after the warmups then its not the same batter.   Apply the rule to the "person" as opposed to the "batting position"?

If PH was announced before the Relief Pitcher then it wouldn't be legal?  

Timing of what happened first matters then.   

On 2/15/2017 at 8:57 AM, eagle_12 said:

I had trouble with all of the conference questions, miss this one along with the others. Trying to now wrap my head around it and understand  

Is is this a legal conference because the new RP had started his warmups in anticipation of facing Batter "A".  Since PH "B" was announced after the warmups then its not the same batter.   Apply the rule to the "person" as opposed to the "batting position"?

If PH was announced before the Relief Pitcher then it wouldn't be legal?  

Timing of what happened first matters then.   

Maybe you're overthinking it, not sure.

A batter gets a hit,

a reliever is brought in,

a pinch hitter is announced, and now the coach wants to talk to that pitcher.

That is the first conference for that pitcher for that batter, so it's legal (assuming he has conferences left)

And because he's a reliever, he must face this batter, but that's kind of trivial to the question