Rules Experts in the booth

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2545 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I noticed in several of the College Football Bowl games they had a "rules expert" in the booth that they would go to if needed. I as someone who knows very little beyond the basics of college football rules found this helpful. 

Would the major networks even think about this? 

If so I'm available MLB Network ;) 

• Like 4

I agree it's odd we haven't seen this at least for post season. Even more so, I can't understand why MLB network doesn't have a go to guy during the season for MLB tonight. Instead they let Reynolds, Ripken or any of the other taking head ex jocks give us half truths about rules and what just happened in a given game. I also think maybe the time has come for crew chiefs to be miked to explain calls. But that sure wouldn't help pace of game so maybe not a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 2/4/2017 at 1:27 PM, Richvee said:

I agree it's odd we haven't seen this at least for post season. Even more so, I can't understand why MLB network doesn't have a go to guy during the season for MLB tonight. Instead they let Reynolds, Ripken or any of the other taking head ex jocks give us half truths about rules and what just happened in a given game. I also think maybe the time has come for crew chiefs to be miked to explain calls. But that sure wouldn't help pace of game so maybe not a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They end up having to discuss it with the coach anyway, so I think there'd be no net change in pace of play - tell everyone once, or tell the coach alone once.   Heck, sometimes we see the ump explain it to one coach, then go over and talk to the other coach.

I've been saying for years that national broadcasts should be putting a rules expert on staff - to get away from the nonsense you hear from these supposed expert players.

But, MLB (and NHL) still announce games like their audience is listening on a radio.  If they got away from the play-by-play, that would leave more room for color, and rules, commentary.  

With high-def and bigger screen television, camera zoom should be pulled back to give a fuller field view, again, reducing need for play-by-play discussion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fox Sports has considered this and might be moving in that direction for their national broadcasts. However, it is a tough challenge on a local or regional level because of the number of games being played at the same time and the different carriers; Fox Sports, ESPN, Turner, Comcast, Spectrum, MLB, etc. It's better to educate the announcers or provide them with a quick reference resource to decipher tough rules.

• 1 month later...

The Mike Perreia model would work best for baseball. The plays requiring explanation occur less frequently in baseball than in football. It's probably a tad tougher in baseball simply due to the schedule. They can hire Perreia essentially one day per week, vs. baseball it would probably have to be a small team of experts to fulfill this role.