NCAA Test - Coach Interference Question

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2594 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok, so this one is messed up.  Here is the question:

R1 and R2, one out. B3 gets a base hit to the outfield. R2 is held up late by the third base coach as he rounds third trying to score. He slips as he tries to stop, contacts the third base coach, then gets up and scrambles back to third, where R1 is already standing. B3 is standing on second base after the play. What is the correct ruling?

A.  This is coach interference. It is a delayed dead ball. After the play, R2 is declared out and the other runners remain at the bases they obtained during the play.
B.  This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately, R2 is declared out, and other runners are awarded the base they would have obtained had interference not occurred.
C.  Coach interference can only occur when the coach contacts the runner, not when the runner contacts the coach. The ball is alive and in play.
D.  This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately and R2 is declared out. All other runners return to the last legally touched base at the time of the interference.

I believe the correct answer is C, but the bulletin handed out in the NCAA meetings had this exact play in it (question 9 on page 9 of the bulletin) and it stated that the correct answer was B (the answer in the bulletin was letter C, but is, word for word, the text from B above).  3-3e Note states that "Other runner may make outs or advance on the bases" so we know it's not an immediate dead ball.

@spiffdawg7 sent me his test and he got 3 wrong.  There were 3 questions that I answered different from him (besides the one above based on the bulletin) and I am 99.9% sure that I answered those 3 correctly.  He answered C to the above question so I think C is correct.

Thoughts?

Here's my problem with C:  What do you have if the coach, in an effort to stop the runner, that stands right on the foul line half-way between 3rd and home and puts his hand up to make the runner stop?  Or even more egregious, the runner runs right into him, and because of the contact, makes it safely back to 3rd? 

And what I don't like about A is that R2 is not declared out after -- we point, verbalize "that's coach's interference" and call him out immediately.

B & D are out because, as @grayhawk pointed out, the ball is not immediately dead.

So I guess it comes down to, which one is the least wrong????

Ok, so this one is messed up.  Here is the question:

R1 and R2, one out. B3 gets a base hit to the outfield. R2 is held up late by the third base coach as he rounds third trying to score. He slips as he tries to stop, contacts the third base coach, then gets up and scrambles back to third, where R1 is already standing. B3 is standing on second base after the play. What is the correct ruling?

A.  This is coach interference. It is a delayed dead ball. After the play, R2 is declared out and the other runners remain at the bases they obtained during the play.

B.  This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately, R2 is declared out, and other runners are awarded the base they would have obtained had interference not occurred.

C.  Coach interference can only occur when the coach contacts the runner, not when the runner contacts the coach. The ball is alive and in play.

D.  This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately and R2 is declared out. All other runners return to the last legally touched base at the time of the interference.

I believe the correct answer is C, but the bulletin handed out in the NCAA meetings had this exact play in it (question 9 on page 9 of the bulletin) and it stated that the correct answer was B (the answer in the bulletin was letter C, but is, word for word, the text from B above).  3-3e Note states that "Other runner may make outs or advance on the bases" so we know it's not an immediate dead ball.

@spiffdawg7 sent me his test and he got 3 wrong.  There were 3 questions that I answered different from him (besides the one above based on the bulletin) and I am 99.9% sure that I answered those 3 correctly.  He answered C to the above question so I think C is correct.

Thoughts?

I had this question as well.

Answered C. But don't like it.

27 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

So I guess it comes down to, which one is the least wrong????

I saw it this way as well and selected 'A', but @Matt may have it correct??? 

How long do we have to wait to get our results? 

44 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

Here's my problem with C:  What do you have if the coach, in an effort to stop the runner, that stands right on the foul line half-way between 3rd and home and puts his hand up to make the runner stop?  Or even more egregious, the runner runs right into him, and because of the contact, makes it safely back to 3rd? 

There is some decision to be made by the umpire as to whether the coach put himself in the runner's path to force a top (so CI, if there's contact), or if the runner just took a weird path and ran into the coach (play on). You usually see that with a slip / stumble / trip and the runner's path is no more toward the fence than toward home.  I think that's what they are trying to describe in the test question.

In your description, call the CI.

14 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

How long do we have to wait to get our results? 

Once the test closes.

Again, A, B and D have obvious errors.  Given that the runner slipped and THEN contacted the coach, I'd go with "play on" -- answer C.

• Like 1

Thanks to Mr. Matt’s rule citation (and grammar lesson), I went to the source. Here’s the actual rule in its entirety and it leads us to further information:

8-5f. A coach, by touching or holding a runner, physically assists the runner in returning to or leaving a base (see 3-3-e);

3-3e. A base coach may not physically assist a runner in returning to or leaving the base. 

A.R. Other runners may make outs or advance on the bases.

PENALTY for e. and f.—A delayed dead ball shall be called. At the conclusion of the play, the assisted runner shall be declared out.

• Like 1

More food for thought—an official interpretation that can be found in the 2016 BRD (p. 208):

“Same as FED…no infraction when a runner accidentally collides with a coach outside the coaching box.” Fetchiet: (Website 4/18/01, 8-5f)

And this note from Mr. Childress that appears on page 209: “BRD urges: At all levels, define ‘physically assist’ as any deliberate touching of a runner during a live ball that is intended to communicate instructions such as ‘Get back!’ or ‘Go now!’”

What if a runner takes a really, really wide turn and runs into the coach? Do you call Interference? sorry Coaches Assist?... no..

At our meeting they told us that it was wrong in the preseason guide. You answered correct.. the runner running into the coach is not interference..and BTW it is not a immediate dead ball. So you can scratch  that one off the list.

• Like 1

I'm agreeing with the A answer. The coach touched the player (even if the player ran into the coach) and this assisted in getting him back to the bag sooner.

Also, "the ball is alive and in play" doesn't sound like NCAA wording.  Would expect something along the lines of "the ball remains live."

You can check answers on Feb 15th.

This answer is easy.  It is "D".  This exact test question is right out of the Baseball 2017 guide that they give out at the clinics. It is number "9", answer "C" in the back of the handout.  The answer right from their booklet is...

"This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately and R2 is declared out.  All other runners return to the last legally touched base at the time of the interference".

Rules cited... 2-51, 3-3-e, 8-5-f

1 hour ago, celt62 said:

This answer is easy.  It is "D".  This exact test question is right out of the Baseball 2017 guide that they give out at the clinics. It is number "9", answer "C" in the back of the handout.  The answer right from their booklet is...

"This is coach interference. The ball is dead immediately and R2 is declared out.  All other runners return to the last legally touched base at the time of the interference".

No, it's not. The ball is not dead immediately, as shown above.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:24 AM, celt62 said:

well that answer is not correct.. It is never an immediate dead ball.

• Like 1

I missed three.  I don't know if that one was one of them or not until next week.  If it is wrong it boggles my mind as to why they would give wrong information without some kind of email telling you the correct one or that they screwed it up in the handout.  I know I got an email about the catch and carry mistake with a link to the proper answer from NASO the other day regarding their study guide.  I think that since it was in the quiz section of the NCAA handout they should give a flyer to everyone if that answer was indeed wrong.

2 hours ago, celt62 said:

I missed three.  I don't know if that one was one of them or not until next week.  If it is wrong it boggles my mind as to why they would give wrong information without some kind of email telling you the correct one or that they screwed it up in the handout.  I know I got an email about the catch and carry mistake with a link to the proper answer from NASO the other day regarding their study guide.  I think that since it was in the quiz section of the NCAA handout they should give a flyer to everyone if that answer was indeed wrong.

There are some of us that would not trust baseball info put out by Referee/NASO. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, celt62 said:

That was one of the ones you missed. I missed two. Went back and did it again and got 100%. In that question, the emphasis is on runner placement.