Pull overs and Chest Protectors

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2632 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just purchased an All Star System 7 (CPU-4000) CP in Baltimore. So far, I think I like it. I also own a Schutt XV, and a Champion, and I can't get a properly fitted pull over jacket over ANY of them without some serious help. Am I alone? If not, what do you guys do? 

13 minutes ago, tpatience said:

I've never worn a jacket behind the plate. Always a long sleeve shirt

that's really a profound statement from someone in Newport Beach, CA! LOL ....

In 'some' states, when you're doing games in March, in 40+ degrees w/ 20+mph winds, ...you'll wear a jacket ;) 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

In 'some' states, when you're doing games in March, in 40+ degrees w/ 20+mph winds, ...you'll wear a jacket ;) 

I know. Anything below 70 is time for a long sleeve shirt

• Like 1

On this subject, I feel like (and I bet I am) Peter Pan, at the lead of "the kids" ( @tpatience, @Stk004, others...) in our resolve to never wear jackets on the plate.

Long sleeve shirt (a true one, not a long-sleeve under a short-sleeve), a Plate Coat, or bust.

That being said, in my early days, I did purchase a pullover jacket (Smitty 1/2 zip) in a generous size (XL), and with my Schutt XV, it does fit on with some ... errrr... effort. Now with my XV trimmed and dialed in with a contoured and custom fit, it goes on much easier (I just tried it for the heck of it), but taking it off is frustrating. It is an elastic-bottomed jacket, if that matters at all. I wouldn't hold it against you if you wanted to wear a jacket on plate... just don't be "that guy" who wears a XXXL on a bodyframe that should be in the L range.

Besides, if you're feeling cold behind the plate, call more strikes and outs. Move a bit more. A strike mechanic alone should generate about 5 BTU's of heat. An emphatic ejection? Around 150 BTU's. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Oh come on, Jeff... I was "next door" in Wisconsin (come to think of it, the foul weather that hits you hits us first), and I opened the first game of the Spring Season, March 31st... First pitch was 45º, getting down to 37º at the bottom of the 3rd (halfway)... in short sleeves. Not the wisest of decisions, but by gum, it was time for baseball!

... and I wanted to debut my new umpire shirt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MadMax said:

On this subject, I feel like (and I bet I am) Peter Pan, at the lead of "the kids" ( @tpatience, @Stk004, others...) in our resolve to never wear jackets on the plate.

Long sleeve shirt (a true one, not a long-sleeve under a short-sleeve), a Plate Coat, or bust.

That being said, in my early days, I did purchase a pullover jacket (Smitty 1/2 zip) in a generous size (XL), and with my Schutt XV, it does fit on with some ... errrr... effort. Now with my XV trimmed and dialed in with a contoured and custom fit, it goes on much easier (I just tried it for the heck of it), but taking it off is frustrating. It is an elastic-bottomed jacket, if that matters at all. I wouldn't hold it against you if you wanted to wear a jacket on plate... just don't be "that guy" who wears a XXXL on a bodyframe that should be in the L range.

Besides, if you're feeling cold behind the plate, call more strikes and outs. Move a bit more. A strike mechanic alone should generate about 5 BTU's of heat. An emphatic ejection? Around 150 BTU's. ;)

I think it just looks the most professional. Short sleeve, long sleeve or plate coat on the plate. Short sleeve or jacket on the bases. No long sleeve shirts on the bases 

• Like 1

Oh come on, Jeff... I was "next door" in Wisconsin (come to think of it, the foul weather that hits you hits us first), and I opened the first game of the Spring Season, March 31st... First pitch was 45º, getting down to 37º at the bottom of the 3rd (halfway)... in short sleeves. Not the wisest of decisions, but by gum, it was time for baseball!

... and I wanted to debut my new umpire shirt.

That's just silly talk ....but you're not old enough to know better yet! Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a fan of the jacket on the dish unless it is raining (something that NEVER happens here I'm the Pacific Northwest :rolleyes:). I am a fan of a long sleeve shirt. Or even better... the 3/4 sleeve jackets are a dream when it is in the 50 and 60s.

14 minutes ago, MPLSUMP said:

I won't wear a jacket on the plate. Long sleeved shirt works with a good base layer. 30's, wind and snow...bring it!

I was waiting for you to show up, @MPLSUMP ! I laud over Jeff that anything Michigan gets, Wisconsin had a crack at first, but with you here, I have to concede that you take the brunt of it even before us!

Miiiiiiiiinnnnnnesota where the wind comes whipping off the plains... (ala Garrison Keillor).

• Like 2

If you wear big enough pants, that +POS jacket works great. One downside is if it is raining, the water gets funneled into your pants. I'm not a fan of the look, but functionally it is far better than any jacket with an elastic waistband. Plus, that charcoal stripe looks far better than plain white or goofy light blue.

What I don't get is the bias of wearing a long sleeved jersey on the bases. And don't bother with any MLB reference. It's a good look, and functional.

12 minutes ago, kylejt said:

What I don't get is the bias of wearing a long sleeved jersey on the bases. And don't bother with any MLB reference. It's a good look, and functional.

I don't agree with that at all. A jacket on the bases looks much more professional. IMO, wearing a long sleeve shirt on the bases is like wearing a jacket behind the plate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

I was waiting for you to show up, @MPLSUMP ! I laud over Jeff that anything Michigan gets, Wisconsin had a crack at first, but with you here, I have to concede that you take the brunt of it even before us!

Miiiiiiiiinnnnnnesota where the wind comes whipping off the plains... (ala Garrison Keillor).

I'm wearing that thermal jacket out on the bases during that bitter cold though! US Bank Stadium baseball starts Feb 24 this season. Very jealous of you guys in Arizona! Enjoy it!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MPLSUMP said:

I'm wearing that thermal jacket out on the bases during that bitter cold though! US Bank Stadium baseball starts Feb 24 this season. Very jealous of you guys in Arizona! Enjoy it!

The main thing I miss about living in LA. Year round ball.