Does the run score?

Ricci67
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2630 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

FED test question. I'm 99% sure I'm just overthinking it but can't find an example. 

With the bases loaded and 1 out, B5 hits a line drive to the right field fence. R3 and R2 both score, but R1 is thrown out at home. B5 safely arrives at 3rd, but missed 1st base. The defense properly appeals B5 missing first.

i want to say no runs because the third out was made by BR at first. But the 2 runs scored before the second out was recorded so I'm lost.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

FED test question. I'm 99% sure I'm just overthinking it but can't find an example. 

With the bases loaded and 1 out, B5 hits a line drive to the right field fence. R3 and R2 both score, but R1 is thrown out at home. B5 safely arrives at 3rd, but missed 1st base. The defense properly appeals B5 missing first.

i want to say no runs because the third out was made by BR at first. But the 2 runs scored before the second out was recorded so I'm lost.

"no runs because the third out was made by BR at first". Period. Stop thinking after this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Could this be a case for the 4th out? R1 thrown out at HP, BR thrown out at 3B, but then the appeal at 1B, even though BR was already out, would wipe the runs off. Correct?

Yes. As in all apparent 4th outs, an advantageous 4th out supersedes the 3rd out (becomes the 3rd out). So in your play, the BR has made the 3rd out before touching 1B. No runs.

2 hours ago, Mister B said:

I'm thinking the appeal would need to happen pretty quickly. When would the time for the appeal lapse? The defense can't leave the field and come back, can they? I would guess that if F3 is yelling to F5 to throw him the ball while the rest of the team is running off the field. And F5 tosses it over, the appeal would count. What if F5 flips the ball to the mound and leaves the field, F4 or F3 run over, pick up the ball and make the appeal at 1B? I would think that the appeal would still stand, but I've been wrong many times in the past. 

This is FED. If the ball is dead, rule on the dead-ball verbal appeal. Ball not required.

I'm thinking the appeal would need to happen pretty quickly. When would the time for the appeal lapse? The defense can't leave the field and come back, can they? I would guess that if F3 is yelling to F5 to throw him the ball while the rest of the team is running off the field. And F5 tosses it over, the appeal would count. What if F5 flips the ball to the mound and leaves the field, F4 or F3 run over, pick up the ball and make the appeal at 1B? I would think that the appeal would still stand, but I've been wrong many times in the past. 

Until all infielders leave the infield...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On Tue Jan 31 2017 at 10:07 AM, Mister B said:

Could this be a case for the 4th out? R1 thrown out at HP, BR thrown out at 3B, but then the appeal at 1B, even though BR was already out, would wipe the runs off. Correct?

I think we actually had a conversation on this a few weeks back where I screwed up the ruling.

I don't believe it would have fallen under "4th out appeal" because the BR's out at 3rd in your example, would turn into the 3rd out at first on appeal.

Only reason I remember this is because I got multiple "-" votes on here. As well as having a friend mercilessly ridicule me about the brain fart.