Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JimKirk

Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

177 posts in this topic

Just now, umpstu said:

What does passable for HS mean?  I mean, I'm using them for college ball.  I love them so far.

I'm just thinking that most HS assigners won't have a stroke over them, if the partner is wearing p/w.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
19 hours ago, Stk004 said:

The pants seem darker than most others, but I think some on here will disagree with me. They can also look kind of shiny in the right lighting out on the field. Really comfortable though. I have about 12 innings in (rain) using these pants and so far no complaints. 

They are darker. Haven't noticed the shiny issue yet.  Just hope I don't become self conscious and keep string at my pants all game looking for shiny. Thanks, Stk004.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, umpstu said:

They are darker. Haven't noticed the shiny issue yet.  Just hope I don't become self conscious and keep string at my pants all game looking for shiny. Thanks, Stk004.

I'm convinced it has to be just the right shade of overcast with pending rain to make them shine. If anyone else notices, let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mbkcoach said:

How do these fit compared to the othe smitty pants?

There's no expanding waist band. Much lighter, darker color, waist in the plate pants seem to be roomier than the base pants. That said, a 32 in both works fine for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

There's no expanding waist band. Much lighter, darker color, waist in the plate pants seem to be roomier than the base pants. That said, a 32 in both works fine for me. 

It's an elastic waist band. It does expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kylejt said:

I lent my plate pants to my long time partner this afternoon, and got another glowing endorsement. And, an order from Ump-Attire. 75+ degrees on the field, and the warmer it is, they more these pants make total sense.

I'd expect another manufacturer to jump on this bandwagon, and soon. The reviews are almost all positive, and you can see by the retailers selling out, the writing is on the wall.  I think we're done with wool pants, my friends.

The color is close enough for rec ball, for sure. Probably passable for HS. They're much closer to polywool color that the original GD pants, that's for sure.

I'm also positive that some organizations, run by gezzers, will not except them. I feel for you folks stuck in those situations, 'cause you don't know what you're missing.

I think this time next year we'll be deciding on which "golf pants" are best. We'll be done with wool, and wondering what we were thinking, and why we didn't get these a dozen years ago.

 

 

You can bet that Honig's will try to make their version of it. The same way they made their version of the basketball pants.

http://honigs.com/sport/basketball/honig-s-4-way-stretch-premium-basketball-slack.html

http://honigs.com/sport/basketball/honig-s-4-way-stretch-premium-basketball-slack-pleated.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to pull the trigger on the Davis Charcoal Plate Umpire pants until I chanced upon this thread. How does this new Smitty pants compare to that of the Davis Charcoal Pants? Both seems to be also made with "stretch" fabric and a darker hue of gray. The price is lower on the Davis @ $49.90...and the Smittys @ $59.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, the Smitty poly stretch "golf" pants do NOT have and elastic expander waistband. They do, however, because of the material, give a bit in the waist.

They are a bit shiny. I'm wearing a pair in the office right now, and do have a bit of a sheen to them. But to me that's a good thing.

I have never cared for the original Davis polyester pants, and only kept a set to match other partners, or, work from a knee in a little kids game. They are completely different color. I do know that some folks and organizations love them. They are quite durable, and easy to care for.

The golf pants are indeed darker than the benchmark Honig's polywools. But if we're going to advance in our technology, we're going to have a make a change. Are these new golf pants the new benchmark? Time will tell. But I'd like to think so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more golf pants observation.

 

I've washed and dried mine several times now, and I've found if I take them right out of the medium heat dryer, and hang the up by the bottoms, I don't need to iron them.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wear 38 in the smittys with expander. Do y'all think I would be 38 in golf pants or 40? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kylejt said:

First, the Smitty poly stretch "golf" pants do NOT have and elastic expander waistband. They do, however, because of the material, give a bit in the waist.

They are a bit shiny. I'm wearing a pair in the office right now, and do have a bit of a sheen to them. But to me that's a good thing.

I have never cared for the original Davis polyester pants, and only kept a set to match other partners, or, work from a knee in a little kids game. They are completely different color. I do know that some folks and organizations love them. They are quite durable, and easy to care for.

The golf pants are indeed darker than the benchmark Honig's polywools. But if we're going to advance in our technology, we're going to have a make a change. Are these new golf pants the new benchmark? Time will tell. But I'd like to think so.

 

All kinds of elastic in that waist and they do stretch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kylejt said:

First, the Smitty poly stretch "golf" pants do NOT have and elastic expander waistband. They do, however, because of the material, give a bit in the waist.

They are a bit shiny. I'm wearing a pair in the office right now, and do have a bit of a sheen to them. But to me that's a good thing.

I have never cared for the original Davis polyester pants, and only kept a set to match other partners, or, work from a knee in a little kids game. They are completely different color. I do know that some folks and organizations love them. They are quite durable, and easy to care for.

The golf pants are indeed darker than the benchmark Honig's polywools. But if we're going to advance in our technology, we're going to have a make a change. Are these new golf pants the new benchmark? Time will tell. But I'd like to think so.

 

I like them but not enough to hope that the new Smitty Poly Wools that @JimKirk teased about arent  on the same level as Honigs PW from three years ago.  IF they are, they will be the pants worn IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

I like them but not enough to hope that the new Smitty Poly Wools that @JimKirk teased about arent  on the same level as Honigs PW from three years ago.  IF they are, they will be the pants worn IMO

And you just might be right. Folks may not be ready to dump their wool pants, just yet.

 

Also, I live in San Diego, where wool make even less sense. So I might be a bit biased

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kylejt said:

One more golf pants observation.

 

I've washed and dried mine several times now, and I've found if I take them right out of the medium heat dryer, and hang the up by the bottoms, I don't need to iron them.

That's what I do. I'll throw them in for about 15 minutes on the "tumble press" and then hang them up. Good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mbkcoach said:

If I wear 38 in the smittys with expander. Do y'all think I would be 38 in golf pants or 40? 

I don't think anyone has answered your question. I wear a 36 in Honigs poly-wools 2015 model.  I ordered 36 in these Smitty golf pants. Base and plate. They swallowed me. I reordered in 34. Fit nicely. Selling both 36 to my buddy Mike. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kylejt said:

And you just might be right. Folks may not be ready to dump their wool pants, just yet.

 

Also, I live in San Diego, where wool make even less sense. So I might be a bit biased

.

Yep. I'm in the Coachella Valley and it's only 98 right now, so those new Smitty's hit the spot.  

 

2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

That's what I do. I'll throw them in for about 15 minutes on the "tumble press" and then hang them up. Good to go. 

No touch up at all with the iron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the package try on felt awesome. Can't wait to get them to the tailor tomorrow. Going to clean up the legs on the field pants to get a nicer cut. These will be awesome. 

Picked up a pair of these on a whim:

Smitty XL ball bags

these will also be awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taa71458 said:

 Going to clean up the legs on the field pants to get a nicer cut.

The legs are a bit wide on the base pants. So I'm thinking about doing the same. Something to think about, when you're heading to get your pants hemmed. In fact, my tailor, in her halting English, was trying to ask me about that. Shoulda used Google Translator.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok....so I normally wear the GD Fetcheimer Poly Wools base and plate. I just bought the new Smitty Combos (I normally don't wear combos) off a buddy who had the wrong size sent to him. Although my first game for tomorrow was snowed out (LOL) I am thinking after reading this thread I will order another pair of Poly Wool Fetcheimer and a pair of base and plate Smitty's. Why you might ask? Well, I love the Fetcheimers (comfort, fit, feel) and just in case they get phased out, I am set plus I am in Chicago where it don't get warm until May 15th. I will have then 3 pair of Smitty's (darker color) for the hot days (sun fade/cooler) and warm nights in my summer college leagues. This way by this time next year all reviews will be in and we will all know which direction our pants are going. Either way I will have the best of both worlds.At least this is my plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seem like a great plan, Mr. UMP. CYA on both sides.

And seeing that my base golf pants are so wide that I can nearly get my shin guards on, let us know how those combos fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kylejt said:

That seem like a great plan, Mr. UMP. CYA on both sides.

And seeing that my base golf pants are so wide that I can nearly get my shin guards on, let us know how those combos fit.

I have not tried them on with my Force 3 shins yet (because I have not hemmed them) but just visually looking at them the leg area from knee to ankle looks slim. Since the Force 3's are slim I don't anticipate an issue. Originally I was just gonna wear the combos on the bases in the summer so I did not really worry about the shim fit but upon further review I will use them for their intended purpose - DH's....lol. As soon as I hem them I will report back on the fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my plate pants in the poly spandex.  Love the texture and feel.  I have identical colored golf pants that I might sneak into the high school season on the bases when things get busy.  I'm a 38 in almost all my pants.  Without the expander waist they were true to size, though I might bump up to a 40 if the base pants run snug as posted in this thread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else not a huge fan of the poly spandex pants? I thought stretchy would be a good idea, but my first few games this year behind the plate have been awkward with the pants. It just doesn't feel right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, umpire20 said:

Is anyone else not a huge fan of the poly spandex pants? I thought stretchy would be a good idea, but my first few games this year behind the plate have been awkward with the pants. It just doesn't feel right.

I love mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Matt702
      Smitty heather grey combo pants for sale. $30. Worn for 1 game. Waist is a 38. I am 5'8", so the pants are hemmed accordingly.
    • By Umpire in Chief
      Its lightweight-athletic performance of Smitty's unique 92/8 poly-spandex 4-way stretch blend not only moves with you but also breathes and cools you in warm weather by wicking moisture away from your skin (no more pants soaked in sweat). The highly-polished professional look and rich charcoal grey will make you the envy of your crew. Not to mention, its durable-construction will withstand many seasons of wear without the extra dry cleaning expense.
      These pants are available in Plate, Base & Combo cuts.
      BASE PANT FEATURES
      92% polyester and 8% spandex for an innovative 4-way stretch fabric that moves with you Fabric spreads and lifts moisture from the skin for a cooler and lighter fabric feel Athletic cut for comfort and durability Pleated-front with standard slash pockets Wrinkle-resistant fabric Color: Charcoal grey For baseball and softball PLATE PANT FEATURES
      Sewn-in saddle seat for added strength to meet the demands of plate work Silky smooth fabric slides easily over your shin guards when you get in your stance (fabric won't get caught) Adequate room in knee to fit all shin guard brands and styles (approximately 12.5" diameter as measured off size 38 waist) COMBO PANT FEATURES
      Can be worn behind the plate and on the bases Sewn-in saddle seat for added strength to meet the demands of plate work Silky smooth fabric slides easily over your shin guards when you get in your stance (fabric won't get caught) Adequate room in knee to fit most low profile shin guard brands and styles (approximately 11.75" diameter as measured off size 38 waist) CONSTRUCTION
      Reinforced-stitching throughout Premium quality double clasp combined with inside support button Upgraded brass zipper will hold up better than plastic zippers Detailed matching grey pocket lining and grey back button with loop on left pocket (say "no" to tan buttons) Wide-reinforced belt loops fit all style and size umpire belts and provide the right amount of spacing, especially in the back - with one in the middle and adjacent ones evenly spaced (no more large gaps or un-professional triple side-by-side belt loops found in other brands) Pressed crease Snug-fit, non-roll, gripper waistband helps keep your shirt tucked These pants are available form Ump-Attire.com.