Jump to content

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JimKirk

Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

Recommended Posts


Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I was not a fan of the Smitty pants I purchased some years back. Construction was top notch but the fit was terrible. No room in the thigh and seat...even the plate pants were tight and i couldn't even use them on the pads they were so narrow in seat and thighs. BUT, with free returns...as a more athletic fit...I need pants this year and was going to pull the lever on Gerry Davis PW's...this might be worth a look...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I got a similar email from another provider.  I'm not in the market, so I didn't compare prices (or service) but for some others it might be worth a look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

FWIW I got a similar email from another provider.  I'm not in the market, so I didn't compare prices (or service) but for some others it might be worth a look.

close, but not as good of a price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taa71458 said:

Congratulations, you just got more of my money!

Thank you! Spending it wisely...on more pants! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NWA_UMP said:

I was not a fan of the Smitty pants I purchased some years back. Construction was top notch but the fit was terrible. No room in the thigh and seat...even the plate pants were tight and i couldn't even use them on the pads they were so narrow in seat and thighs. BUT, with free returns...as a more athletic fit...I need pants this year and was going to pull the lever on Gerry Davis PW's...this might be worth a look...

We feel your pain @NWA_UMP, and you illustrate the perfect reason of why we are offering free returns on these.

Glad you mentioned that. Thank you and hope they work out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

We feel your pain @NWA_UMP, and you illustrate the perfect reason of why we are offering free returns on these.

Glad you mentioned that. Thank you and hope they work out for you.

Has Scott tried them on over his shin guards?  If so, which shin gaurds?  The platinum and F3 would fit over the Smitty Poly Wools but not the golds due to the triple knee.  Also, regarding the material...is it safe to assume the material is close if not exact to the NBA style Smitty basketball pants @JimKirk ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Has Scott tried them on over his shin guards?  If so, which shin gaurds?  The platinum and F3 would fit over the Smitty Poly Wools but not the golds due to the triple knee.  Also, regarding the material...is it safe to assume the material is close if not exact to the NBA style Smitty basketball pants @JimKirk ?

He has a video on the site showing us that he is wearing the force and platinums. It honestly didn't look like he had on anything on his legs! I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tampump said:

He has a video on the site showing us that he is wearing the force and platinums. It honestly didn't look like he had on anything on his legs! I

Thanks.  I haven't watched the video.  Maybe I should. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

@JimKirk give me credit for being first to call them "Poly Spans"

I tried to call the Splacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim,

 

I've been clambering for pants like Adidas Climacool golf pants here for some time. "Smarter" pants, if you will.

I'll push the button on some plate pants in a few minutes.

Thank you for listening.

 

(Now you need to get with Little League, and capture that market. No reason that H$@^#'s is still their sponsor, as they have no presence).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Yes @celt62. Scott says he will have his on.

@JimKirk, just be sure to warn Scott he will likely be accosted by a large man who will want to caress his leg!

... 

... or maybe don't, and instead watch hijinks ensue.

Anyway, Jim, I need to ask for a professional insight – there are guys saying they run "true to size". Well, I wear a 34 in most slacks, but my DbF base pants are 36, as were those Boombahs I had when you noticed them in C-town (since retired). So with this new material (I think PolyDex is the word, @acpar72), should I stick with 36 or "go slim" with 34?

My plate pants are, too, 36, but I'm on the fence on ordering a set of plate pants, given I just ordered in another pair of DbF plates. :/... 

Oh! What's the word on Care & Maintenance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with MadMax on the name - PolyDex sounds better.  One of the first thoughts when these came out was why they'd keep spandex as part of the name. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@JimKirk, just be sure to warn Scott he will likely be accosted by a large man who will want to caress his leg!

... 

... or maybe don't, and instead watch hijinks ensue.

Anyway, Jim, I need to ask for a professional insight – there are guys saying they run "true to size". Well, I wear a 34 in most slacks, but my DbF base pants are 36, as were those Boombahs I had when you noticed them in C-town (since retired). So with this new material (I think PolyDex is the word, @acpar72), should I stick with 36 or "go slim" with 34?

My plate pants are, too, 36, but I'm on the fence on ordering a set of plate pants, given I just ordered in another pair of DbF plates. :/... 

Oh! What's the word on Care & Maintenance?

I'm at 38 dress pamts and jeans so I'm wearing a 38. Up to you on what you want to do @MadMax

Section on care on page has wash in cold and tumble dry low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been discussing pants from a more modern material for a while. I've seen but not purchased the underarmour golf pants (since I don't play golf) but liked them and believed that material may make good umpire pants. I wish they'd left pleats out of them. Just make fat guys look fatter and thin guys look fat. (In my opinion). 

@JimKirk I'm a little peeved you didn't try to clue me in when we were taking in Chicago a couple weekends ago about this very subject. But I'll forgive you if these pants turn out to be the thing we've all been seeking and discussing.  Haha  

So, I too pulled the trigger on a pair of each (along with another six things) and anxiously await their arrival. Question for you Jim. Did you have anything to do with this product being developed or does the credit go elsewhere?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Majordave said:

So, I too pulled the trigger on a pair of each (along with another six things) 

UA is a dangerous place. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

UA is a dangerous place. 

NO JOKE! I thought I was going to get out "cheap" just ordering shoes.

:no:NOPE!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Varsity07
      Gentlemen I have a brand new never opened Gerry Davis Fechheimer Poly Wools. The are Plate Pants size 36. I'll ship them to you $55 Pay Pal friends and family.
    • By FireEye
      Brand new with tags, size 36 waist and unfinished bottoms.  I paid $69 for these and Davis won't let me exchange them because they were purchased more than 30 days ago.
      Open to offers or trades of comparable value.

    • By Kevin_K
      Please indulge me....

      It happened yesterday. I knew it as soon as he stepped out of his vehicle wearing his Walmart greys and grease smeared umpire shirt, No sooner were his feet on the ground and I said hello then the war stories of the old days started.
      I made the mistake of joking that I presumed we would be wearing blue since he was already wearing his newly approved, but widely stained blue NJSIAA umpire shirt. "Of course!" he replied. "We've been called blue forever, why wouldn't we?" Alrighty then.....
      That was the high water mark of the day. 
      Our pregame consists of him telling me that we are going to do things the old way. He had the plate, so I figure that I should acquiesce. He's going to take all fly balls.
      "Even when I am in the middle?"
      "Why wouldn't I?" he replies. Perhaps because I am 80-100 feet closer?
      "How about if I take trouble balls?" I ask.
      "Well I guess that would be OK."
      He proceeds to go on about how his partners have not been great, that we need to be a team, and that he will keep the game moving along because his strike zone is generous. The plate meeting was a Shakespearean quality soliloquy about everything except the menu of the hot dog place down the road. And so it continued. Now to the game.......
       The first pitch of the game was called before it crossed home plate and I knew this guy was so full of crap that the game was going to have the potential of heading south in about three batters. Quite frankly, I am really surprised at how quietly the game went despite his antics, It is a testament to how disciplined the teams were and how the coaches had resigned themselves to my partners unique (dis)abilities as an umpire.
      The highlights:
      The strike zone. Two times F2 was set up with the point of the plate centered on his body with 2 strikes on the batter. Two times F2's glove was in the middle of his body, F1 hit his spot, the glove never moved and F2 fired the ball to F5 on the backwards K. Except two times those beautiful pitches were balls. Remember I mentioned trouble balls in the vee? F8 on a full run nabs a knee high sinking line drive while I am in B. I start to come up with "Catch" when I hear from behind me "Catch"; F8 on a sprint to the fence behind him reaches up over his left shoulder without breaking stride and guess what happened? That's right boys and girls, a call of "Catch" emanates from behind me. F9 and F8 converging on a sinking line drive...... well you get the idea. No one on, ball is hit to F8's right and is sinking quickly. I button hook and watch BR touch 1B. As he hits the bag I look to pick up the ball and see F8 fumbling on the ground momentarily and I then hear "Catch!" and the entire OT bench erupts because they believed it was a trap. Considering that F8 seemed to be scrambling for the ball, I kind of believe OT likely had a good case, but since I did not follow the ball to the catch, I had no additional information to offer. Did I mention the strike zone? Or perhaps I should call it the strike stamp. Or, depending on the pitch, strike ZIP code? Pitchers, batters, coaches, and i were all regaled with a continuously evolving interpretation of balls and strikes. Not one time during the entire game was the ball put back in play after a foul ball. Every time the plate was cleaned off though, the ball was put in play even though time was never called. Not one time during the entire game was a ball thrown to the pitcher or handed to F2 on a foul ball that stayed within the confines of the field.  In the 3rd inning he took a ball out of his black ball bag walked in front of HP, licked his hand, grabbed some dirt and rubbed up the ball before "throwing" it to F1 on a foul ball that left the yard. I chose not to engage him in a post game as I knew it would simply be time that I would never get back. A college scout I have known for years saw me at my car after my partner left and we spoke for quite some time. After a while he mentioned a few of the things I have captured above. I looked at him and just smiled. He smiled back and said, "'Nuff said."
      I am awaiting a call back from our assignor to find out how this guy not only was assigned a varsity level game, but how I ended up on the bases while this stooge did everything umpires should not while behind the plate.

      Thank you for indulging me. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    • By Matt702
      Smitty heather grey combo pants for sale. $30. Worn for 1 game. Waist is a 38. I am 5'8", so the pants are hemmed accordingly.
×