Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JimKirk

Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

On 5/14/2017 at 8:19 PM, kylejt said:

What will be interesting to see is who will be the next manufacturer to make something like this. We've got a new standard, so will someone try to match, or improve it.

I'm betting on Under Armour. I'll bet they may want to reinvent the whole umpire uniform, head to toe. MLB umpires are on TV for three hours a game. Now you may differ on using them as marketing tools, but they have a large (some larger that others) presence on the television.

And with the ties that Under Armour has to All Star, you might see a gear change, too. (Sorry, Joe).

Late to this party, but Under Armour doesn't have ties to All Star .... they just allow UA to rebadge their catchers gear ....     There's a contractual agreement for sure, but ...not sure I'd call it "ties" ....   but of course, I could be wrong ;) 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Guys ..

I haven't browsed every single post in this thread, however ..........  has anyone noticed the little white (looks like chalk) marks you get on the pants?  I'm noticing them more on the plate pants?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys ..

I haven't browsed every single post in this thread, however ..........  has anyone noticed the little white (looks like chalk) marks you get on the pants?  I'm noticing them more on the plate pants?

No, but now I'll go nuts looking for them.  Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 2:19 PM, Haid D' Salaami said:

I heard from a great source that Smitty is gonna fix the plate pants as they are a little too narrow in the legs, the honigs pants width are fantastic. 

I've had no issues with the pants legs being too narrow.

15 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys ..

I have those on my Honig's original poly wool plate pants.  I think they occur when a ball strikes the legs.  Are yours showing up below the knees on the new Smitty pants?  It's almost like a burn mark?

9 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

I have those on my Honig's original poly wool plate pants.  I think they occur when a ball strikes the legs.  Are yours showing up below the knees on the new Smitty pants?  It's almost like a burn mark?

like little chalk marks .....  haven't been hit that much! ;) 

9 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

No Jeff......you shouldn't have said that!

1 minute ago, Kevin_K said:

No Jeff......you shouldn't have said that!

DOAH!!!!!!!!!! :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

My theory is that these marks are where the polyester is actually "burned" .

I have a habit of sometimes picking up a bat and then smacking myself in the shin with it.  I think that may be where some of my "chalk marks" come from.

Anyone else have these?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

I have a habit of sometimes picking up a bat and then smacking myself in the shin with it.  I think that may be where some of my "chalk marks" come from.

Anyone else have these?

I don't do that.  thinking maybe that it's caused by small stones from the dirt when they get kicked up?

10 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Anyone else have these?

That makes total sense. Always thought they might have been from the dry cleaners. But this makes way more sense.

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

That makes total sense. Always thought they might have been from the dry cleaners. But this makes way more sense.

Mine have seen the dry cleaners only once, way back when I first bought them.  

I haven't seen any marks. I do put them in the dryer inside out, a habit I started with my polywools years ago.

I do think the legs are pretty wide on base pants, but haven't had an issue with the plates.

I'm going to divest in my polywools this Fall, and get another set of the golf pants.

Just got my first pair delivered today. Had to go with combos for now, but only going to use them on the plate, then order more in plate and base when they get restock. 

After trying them on, I only have two words to describe them:

GAME CHANGER

Looking forward to stocking my up on these. Wow. Just wow.

Two more observations.

The base pants have either a high waist, or a long crotch. And the legs are a bit too wide.

Think the belt loops need to rotate a bit more toward the front, at least on the 36".

Little stuff, to be sure, as I still think these are the new benchmark. It will be interesting to see how Honig's and Gerry Davis respond to this.

Pants.thumb.jpg.f533d4231467f6b34f4837fd7e0fb3c7.jpg

Worn my plate version of these three games now and base version at least 4. I think I need to pull out a thesaurus to make sure I cover all the superlative adjectives I'd like to use. Game changers! Amazing fit and feel and look. I'm a huge fan now. Really nice pants for hot weather. Probably will go to these for all conditions if they hold up.  I'd still like to take a look at the new Smitty Poly-wools in person before I buy more of these golf pants but so far I think these are definitely worth the money. 

• Like 4

Stock arrived today - a week earlier than expected - and all sizes are back in stock of plate and base...for now.

• Like 2

Stock arrived today - a week earlier than expected - and all sizes are back in stock of plate and base...for now.

Dumb question but any chance we can see a picture of a real gal in these (maybe even a short gal)? The regular Smitty's have such a huge crotch and Id like to see how these would fit us that don't need the extra room.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

Dumb question but any chance we can see a picture of a real gal in these (maybe even a short gal)? The regular Smitty's have such a huge crotch and Id like to see how these would fit us that don't need the extra room.

Not a dumb question, but could be a dumb answer depending on your interest in colors. Today, we just added heather grey poly spandex and that same heather grey will be available in a women's cut in about a month. So for those, we would have a photo of those....maybe you can be the model.

• Like 1

Not a dumb question, but could be a dumb answer depending on your interest in colors. Today, we just added heather grey poly spandex and that same heather grey will be available in a women's cut in about a month. So for those, we would have a photo of those....maybe you can be the model.

We don't wear Heather! Does anybody anymore? My thing with Smitty's is that their old woman's cut isn't really cut for women. They are men's with an extra seam sewn up the back, imo, it's lazy design work on their part and they have no interest in hearing our opinions. I'll send you a pic of my old Smitty's, they look like clown pants. Right now, I'm wearing 10 year old scratchy dalco's (don't laugh!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

We don't wear Heather! Does anybody anymore? My thing with Smitty's is that their old woman's cut isn't really cut for women. They are men's with an extra seam sewn up the back, imo, it's lazy design work on their part and they have no interest in hearing our opinions. I'll send you a pic of my old Smitty's, they look like clown pants. Right now, I'm wearing 10 year old scratchy dalco's (don't laugh!)

I've recently learned via ump-attire's advertising that softball umpires wear heather. Hence the introduction of heather gray polyspandex. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

38 waist plate pants already out of stock!!! @JimKirk any idea when you'll have more?

Time to go on a diet...they had 36 available this afternoon....lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mom-jeans/3505924?snl=1

Don't know if this will post, but your post reminds me of SNL Mom Jeans commercial.  You've really got me wondering if there are any women's umpire slacks?

• Like 2

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mom-jeans/3505924?snl=1
Don't know if this will post, but your post reminds me of SNL Mom Jeans commercial.  You've really got me wondering if there are any women's umpire slacks?

Honigs had some, but they were all mis-sized. I got a pair two sizes up from mine and they still would not have fit a 10 year old. Gerry Davis used to have some but I haven't seen any in a few years.