Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

5 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

Honigs had some, but they were all mis-sized. I got a pair two sizes up from mine and they still would not have fit a 10 year old. Gerry Davis used to have some but I haven't seen any in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wonder if you could possibly dye the poly spandex.  I know I have dyed y poly wools and they looked great.  Sure wish you didn't have to resort to that though.  Like my friend who needs a size 11 eeeeee plate shoe.

Wonder if you could possibly dye the poly spandex.  I know I have dyed y poly wools and they looked great.  Sure wish you didn't have to resort to that though.  Like my friend who needs a size 11 eeeeee plate shoe.

I'll try it if they aren't just men's pants with an extra seam, poly (not wools) needs a special kind of dye and very very hot water, near boiling.

Has anyone purchased the combo and plate pants?  I'm curious as to the difference in leg width/opening.  I'm looking for something that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing such wide leg pants, especially since I invested in the force 3 guards.

47 minutes ago, indianaumpire15 said:

Has anyone purchased the combo and plate pants?  I'm curious as to the difference in leg width/opening.  I'm looking for something that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing such wide leg pants, especially since I invested in the force 3 guards.

I bought the combos strictly for the same reason. They work well with my force 3 shin guards. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 5:50 PM, indianaumpire15 said:

Thanks for the info.

The plate pants don't look nearly as billowy as the base pants do. Of course they're wider but they don't look foolish like the base pants do. Smitty long sleeve shirts also have surprisingly wide arm openings, so at least they're consistent. 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:42 PM, Tksjewelry said:

We don't wear Heather! Does anybody anymore? My thing with Smitty's is that their old woman's cut isn't really cut for women. They are men's with an extra seam sewn up the back, imo, it's lazy design work on their part and they have no interest in hearing our opinions. I'll send you a pic of my old Smitty's, they look like clown pants. Right now, I'm wearing 10 year old scratchy dalco's (don't laugh!)

Somewhere in the 30-40% of pants purchased by all umpires are heather grey.

I would encourage you to try a pair of the charcoal, if you want. We'd be happy to pay the returns shipping back if they don't work for you or aren't close enough to doing so.

If after looking at them (and the female heather grey when they come out next month if you want there as well), feel free to send me a PM with suggestions for any changes for a female fit, and I will share them personally with Joe DeRosa at Smitty.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Stk004 said:

The plate pants don't look nearly as billowy as the base pants do. Of course they're wider but they don't look foolish like the base pants do. Smitty long sleeve shirts also have surprisingly wide arm openings, so at least they're consistent. 

I just pay $8 at my alterations place and get the legs of all my base pants tapered. It's a much better look.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, indianaumpire15 said:

I just texted and received a response from SWMBO indicating (that I was worse that the kids at Christmas and) had all 3 delivered to my front door about an hour ago.  I'll update tomorrow after I try them on.  I wasn't sure how these would fit, as I have (what has been referred to as) tree stumps for legs.  With this awesomely Fantabullistic free returns policy that @JimKirk has, I ordered one of each.  This way, I feel sure that I'll get 1 plate & 1 base set out of it. 

(p.s. if SWMBO doesn't protest too vehemently, I may end up keeping the 3rd pr.)

• Like 1

I recently had the opportunity to wear both plate and base pants in 90+ temperatures and equal humidity. I noticed no appreciable difference in the amount I sweat when compared to the Davis or Honig polywools.

In the past, I would have a two tone whale tail and frequently the sweat line would extend from 10-12" from my belt line. I had similar results with the new pants. My belt often would be soaked as well while working the plate, and while wearing the poly-spandex the results were the same.

My experience may different from others, but it's just that - my experience.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Somewhere in the 30-40% of pants purchased by all umpires are heather grey.

I would encourage you to try a pair of the charcoal, if you want. We'd be happy to pay the returns shipping back if they don't work for you or aren't close enough to doing so.

If after looking at them (and the female heather grey when they come out next month if you want there as well), feel free to send me a PM with suggestions for any changes for a female fit, and I will share them personally with Joe DeRosa at Smitty.

You a good boy Jim Kirk.  Like what you're doing with your business.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, indianaumpire15 said:

The combos are true "in between" plate and base cut.  I'm not familiar with the size of force 3 guards, nor the difference in the size of our legs.  However, with free returns, you can't really go wrong.

(p.s.  SWMBO was of my train of thought on the 3rd pair.  Well, they're already paid for and already here......)

• Like 1

I just purchased 2 pair of plate and base and I cannot wait to use them.

They look and feel great. Even Mrs B said they were better fitting and looking..lol

On 6/22/2017 at 7:48 PM, JimKirk said:

Stock arrived today - a week earlier than expected - and all sizes are back in stock of plate and base...for now.

SWEET !   Will look forward to receiving the ones ordered.    Looking forward to seeing what the fuss has been all about.  (6/22/17)

UPDATE:  6/28/17:  Received a pair of plate pants today - thanks once again to the great folks at ump-attire.com - but now I must admit some worry.

These are quite a bit darker than I had anticipated, especially compared to the original Honigs Poly Wools that I am still wearing, as are most of the guys that I work with in my associations.   

Has anyone else noticed this?   I don't want to be the 'standout' umpire for this reason, for sure.   Comments, fellow umpire brethren?

11 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

SWEET !   Will look forward to receiving the ones ordered.    Looking forward to seeing what the fuss has been all about.  (6/22/17)

UPDATE:  6/28/17:  Received a pair of plate pants today - thanks once again to the great folks at ump-attire.com - but now I must admit some worry.

These are quite a bit darker than I had anticipated, especially compared to the original Honigs Poly Wools that I am still wearing, as are most of the guys that I work with in my associations.   

Has anyone else noticed this?   I don't want to be the 'standout' umpire for this reason, for sure.   Comments, fellow umpire brethren?

They are darker.  Scott Kennedy wore them throughout the post season.  Did you notice them?  I didn't. I had to message him to find out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Be an umpire fashion trendsetter.  Once your fellow local officials see them in real life (and how much quicker you move when on the bases) they will all be clamoring for a pair.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Thanks @BrianC14 for the kind words and the business. You are correct. The material is substantially different so not possible to match the color exactly to the poly-wools or polyester.

To ease your fears, I do know MANY college umpires went with the poly spandex this year knowing their crews may not match just so. I was at a regional game where everyone but 1 were wearing the PolySpandex. No one appeared to notice the one umpire in the lighter poly-wools.

For future sake, if could share the number of pants bought poly vs poly-wool vs poly-spandex this year, you would see that there is a BIG WAVE of umpires moving to the poly spandex. As @conbo61 alluded to, this shouldn't be that much of a concern...especially moving forward.

Enjoy the pants. Look forward to seeing more feedback on them here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

Thanks @BrianC14 for the kind words and the business. You are correct. The material is substantially different so not possible to match the color exactly to the poly-wools or polyester.

To ease your fears, I do know MANY college umpires went with the poly spandex this year knowing their crews may not match just so. I was at a regional game where everyone but 1 were wearing the PolySpandex. No one appeared to notice the one umpire in the lighter poly-wools.

For future sake, if could share the number of pants bought poly vs poly-wool vs poly-spandex this year, you would see that there is a BIG WAVE of umpires moving to the poly spandex. As @conbo61 alluded to, this shouldn't be that much of a concern...especially moving forward.

Enjoy the pants. Look forward to seeing more feedback on them here.

Jim, how is the color of the poly spandex compared to the Smitty poly wools.  Although I will probably use poly spandex exclusively as I live in the furnace known as the Coachella Valley.  Only 94 now.