Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Sure it does!

I see both heather and charcoal shades in there. Heck... there might be what ever color the Davis pants are in there.

@LRZ @BT_Blue  Guys, the secret is, if the colors don't match well enough, then don't stand together.  Ancient umpire secret. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianC14 said:

Hmmmm.... pretty sure Chuck Daly passed about about 8 or 9 years ago.    Unless you mean this guy:

john-daly-net-worth3.jpg

That's the John Daly I'm talking about. He's got the best pants game in the PGA.

15 hours ago, AtlUmp said:

That's the John Daly I'm talking about. He's got the best pants game in the PGA.

Hey... someone had to after Payne Stewart passed away.

Don't forget dude can still hit the golf ball a country mile.

2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Hey... someone had to after Payne Stewart passed away.

Don't forget dude can still hit the golf ball a country mile.

Yes, but Stewart (RIP) could wear the plus-fours with class and dignity.   

Daly.... a bit clownish, IMO.  

• Like 1

So I had two games on Monday night, made the mistake and reached in the truck and pulled out the honigs polywools.  After wearing  the new smitty for last two to three weeks straight, by the top of the first inning behind the plate, I found myself wishing I had the smitty on. I think I will put the polywools up until fall baseball starts. They just feel better

I like both the Fetchheimer Poly Wools and the Smitty's. Just depends on the situation. Normally I go with the Fetch's but today in the Regional finals (75 degrees today) both my partners wear Davis so I will attempt to match with the Smitty's which are much darker than the Fetch's. The comfort factor between the two is minor to me. I do like the feel of the Smitty on my body and also like their interaction with my Force3 shins. I say have both and then you have options. 

On 5/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, kylejt said:

Every time I wear these pants, especially in the heat, I wonder why we didn't complain about wearing wool a long time ago. My polywools have stayed in my closet all year, except for one game.

The one thing about the Honig's/Hardwicks pants is their durability. The damn things are bullet proof, and I've got several pair that are a dozen years old. We just don't know how long these new drawers will last over the years. But I'm now of the thinking that I don't really care. They're that superior on the field.

The next piece of gear we need to work on is the hat. No need for a wool lid any more, folks. I did 5 hours of traffic control in the direct sun in a modern ball cap, and two hours in a wool  hat behind the plate, yesterday. Big difference. My plate hat, and my head, was a sweaty mess. No reason for wool there,either.

I have a hat coming in the mail that is said to be made of the same material as the Smitty pants. This should be interesting. I will report back.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 2:47 AM, Mr Ump said:

I like both the Fetchheimer Poly Wools and the Smitty's. Just depends on the situation. Normally I go with the Fetch's but today in the Regional finals (75 degrees today) both my partners wear Davis so I will attempt to match with the Smitty's which are much darker than the Fetch's. The comfort factor between the two is minor to me. I do like the feel of the Smitty on my body and also like their interaction with my Force3 shins. I say have both and then you have options. 

My only complaint with the Davis pants (the Fechhiemer included) is that I don't like where the ball bags sit. They feel like they are further back than where they were on the Honigs pants. Wonder if the Smitty pants are different?

Just now, BT_Blue said:

My only complaint with the Davis pants (the Fechhiemer included) is that I don't like where the ball bags sit. They feel like they are further back than where they were on the Honigs pants. Wonder if the Smitty pants are different?

I can't speak to the other brands but with my Smitty pants, the ball bag is centered on my hip. There's only 5 (I'm pretty sure) belt loops on the polyspandex pants. 

Just now, Stk004 said:

I can't speak to the other brands but with my Smitty pants, the ball bag is centered on my hip. There's only 5 (I'm pretty sure) belt loops on the polyspandex pants. 

Nice. The Davis pants sit slightly back of middle. Feels like I should be able to just go straight down to the opening in the bags. But I need to reach back a little to go into them.

The new Smitty golf pants have 6 belt loops, and the ones at 3 and 9 o'clock are just a hair behind the side seam, and that seem just about perfect for me. My Honig's bags sit right, and have a natural reach down for balls.

13 hours ago, kylejt said:

The new Smitty golf pants have 6 belt loops, and the ones at 3 and 9 o'clock are just a hair behind the side seam, and that seem just about perfect for me. My Honig's bags sit right, and have a natural reach down for balls.

ummmmmm.....ok

• Like 6