I can't read this (redo)

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2639 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I apologize.  I messed something up and accidentally deleted the entire thread when I thought I was deleting a reply.

In summary, I find it becoming more difficult to read line up cards and was thinking of keeping a pair of "readers" with me.

I was asking for the experiences of others with this so I don't look like a fool fumbling with glasses when recording changes, CRs or warnings.

Where do you keep the glasses? Shirt or pants pocket? Brush pouch in a second ball bag?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Oo, now this is proper puzzle to solve. I myself have exceptional eyesight :blink:, and no need of glasses, but your posed question, @conbo61, gets my designer / engineer mind spinning up...

I would say get a "vault" case... a hard'ish case (Oakley calls them Vaults, hence why I'm using the term), and keep the readers in there along with the (stubby?) pen or pencil that you use, too. That way, the glasses aren't getting crushed or bent, don't have to be slipped back into a sleeve, aren't getting scratched to hell in the ball bag, and you've got the pen(cil) and your glasses out in one effort.

I myself am noticing that I'm making a hash of placing and locating my pen in my ball bags. The folders they have us use for 2 of our associations here do not allow a pen to be (easily) clipped to them, and the pen ends up being kept there... or there... or ends up over... wait... how did it end up in my right ball bag? 

4 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

I was thinking of getting soft case with a pocket clip and stuffing it into the brush pouch of a second ball bag.

Or perhaps get a set of specs that Teddy Roosevelt used to rock...

tr glasses.jpg

Bully!

Oo! Oo! A jaunty monocle might be the ticket!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

I myself am noticing that I'm making a hash of placing and locating my pen in my ball bags. The folders they have us use for 2 of our associations here do not allow a pen to be (easily) clipped to them, and the pen ends up being kept there... or there... or ends up over... wait... how did it end up in my right ball bag? 

Do your ball bags not have a "pen pocket" right between the two brush pockets?  My pen was always in the right pen pocket for umpteen years.  Never had to search for it.

Honestly, if they're reading glasses, I'd probably just put them in my chest pocket. The convenience of immediate access is worth the small risk of breakage. And as cheap as reading glasses are, if they break...they break. If you can get them out of a ball bag quickly, that's fine too.

8 hours ago, lawump said:

There was a well-known certain MLB umpire...now retired...who had the junior member of the crew keep the line-up cards for him towards the end of his career.

I see nothing wrong with that.  Practical solution to a real-world problem.

9 hours ago, lawump said:

There was a well-known certain MLB umpire...now retired...who had the junior member of the crew keep the line-up cards for him towards the end of his career.

I believe its the former owner of a now defunct umpire school?

If you're speaking of Jim Evans, his umpire school isn't defunct, it's just no longer recognized by MLB as an affiliate.  All over a silly Halloween Bowling party that got out of hand and involved some minor racism meant in good spirited fun.

7 hours ago, VolUmp said:

If you're speaking of Jim Evans, his umpire school isn't defunct, it's just no longer recognized by MLB as an affiliate.  All over a silly Halloween Bowling party that got out of hand and involved some minor racism meant in good spirited fun.

WTF? There's nothing minor or good spirited about that, not to the target at least. It may not have been with malice, but it was stupid as hell. And Evans lost his affiliation as much or more due to the clumsy, slow, and completely tone-deaf handling of this embarrassing incident.

https://www.amazon.com/Readers-Spring-American-Reading-Glasses/dp/B00OV6Q4OA/ref=pd_lpo_309_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=5N141SVKXT42GBHVYHVV&th=1

These fit nicely in a ball bag pocket for when needed

My problem is the opposite i can't read cards with glasses on paying extra $$ for bifocals where the bottom has no prescription in it seems silly but i may have to bite the bullet