Low-Budget gear

lkasnu
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2648 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would have any insight into any particular brand or store that sells reasonably priced gear.  I know I can look to these forums as well, but would like to explore my options.

Im planning on using my earnings as a return investment so getting a full set of gear to call my own will take some time.  Depending on the age group I officiate I make between $30-$45 per game, typically do two games per night twice a week.

My biggest need right now is clothing and a chest plate.  The ones at my league don't cover the shoulders and I took a couple nasty shots last year.  As far as clothing goes what I have doesn't fit me well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Ikasnu, please post the following:

- Sport-coat size and Shirt size desired

- Height and approximate weight

- Level of ball primarily working (age level), and the maximum level of ball you realistically see yourself doing in the next 2-3 years.

- Where you are located (geographically).

Please take this as encouragement: do not get gear from "big box" sporting good stores, unless it's, like, undershirts, socks, personal protectors or base shoes. You will not find good gear or deals with locals either. If you happen to live near a local outfitter (like I used to with Gerry Davis Sports, or the guys in Michigan do with Honig's, or the guys in Kentucky do with Ump-Attire), then by all means, utilize that channel. 

The internet is going to be your best friend. eBay (with guidance from us) will be the best route, as well as such Outfitter sites as Ump-Attire and others. There can be awesome deals found, though, if you have your heart set on a piece of gear, and then search in-depth for a retailer of it online.

There are a thousand different opinions on CPs (I know... I wrote a few of 'em). Let's hear what your specs are to best suggest some candidates for you...

So too, there are all sorts of shirt options; let's hear where you are and who you're working for before rattling off ideas...

• Like 2

You can find inexpensive stuff online. Just have to search for it. An example is Officials Choice for shirts.

As for a chest protector. Look at places online. But make sure to get one that is a hard shell (one with plastic plates). Examples would be a Champion or Champro protector. 

Also check ebay.

@Ikasnu - 

Listen to @MadMax, he'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

Also, have you asked any of the guys in your association if they have any extra equipment that they want to get rid of? Sometimes fellow officials wouldn't mind donating equipment to someone who's just getting started.

Good luck!

• Like 1