Jim Joyce (reportedly) retires

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

48 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

I may be naive or ignorant, but why could his call in the "imperfect" game not have been corrected? I know, that was before replay. But, he knew immediately he was wrong, as did everyone else.

That is just it. He didn't at the time.

You can go back and listen to the interviews he gave after it happened. He thought he nailed a close play. It wasn't until in the video room after the game that he found out he kicked it.

I would imagine Jim Joyce, from the articles we have all read, would try and retire as quietly as possible, not that anyone who actually announces it publicly is trying to make the announcement to bring undue attention to that fact (the old look at me, look at me syndrome).

There was probably a lot of scuttlebutt about umpires at the Winter Meetings December 4-8, 2016 at the Gaylord National Resort in Oxon Hill, MD.

I would imagine all the MiLB League Presidents would like to hear, so they could be looking in the mail for a check from MLB that accompanies each new hire as a thank you to each League the new hire umpired for, in the development of that umpire. At least that use to be the situation from that guy I met who asked questions privately at the umpire school that you do not ask if you really want a "job" in MiLB. Next year, the MiLB meetings will be Dec. 14-17, at the Disney Resorts in Orlando. Go down and hear whatever scuttlebutt is going on, unless it is by invitation only.

Although they had the confirm from 'reliable sources' on the 7 hires in 2014 by January 14, 2014, MLB does not usually give the 'official press release' until sometime in February.

I would imagine they are giving final physicals, etc. to the new hires who have been privately confirmed, and just like players, their full time employment is contingent on passing that physical. Probably those physicals leave time for a quick simple (not major) scope job on a knee if discovered, and the needed surgery can be performed and have the umpire on the field by opening day.

This physical would come from the umpires meeting in Phoenix, whenever that is scheduled each year. There have been articles on Mark Letendre? and others who are in charge of those examinations.

So, that 'official' MLBU announcement, which will probably announce what has been officially confirmed through 'reliable sources only' will show up in the news at that time (usually February in the past), whenever that time is.

Good luck to all involved, both the retirees and the new hires.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, dumbdumb said:

I would imagine Jim Joyce, from the articles we have all read, would try and retire as quietly as possible, not that anyone who actually announces it publicly is trying to make the announcement to bring undue attention to that fact (the old look at me, look at me syndrome).

There was probably a lot of scuttlebutt about umpires at the Winter Meetings December 4-8, 2016 at the Gaylord National Resort in Oxon Hill, MD.

I would imagine all the MiLB League Presidents would like to hear, so they could be looking in the mail for a check from MLB that accompanies each new hire as a thank you to each League the new hire umpired for, in the development of that umpire. At least that use to be the situation from that guy I met who asked questions privately at the umpire school that you do not ask if you really want a "job" in MiLB. Next year, the MiLB meetings will be Dec. 14-17, at the Disney Resorts in Orlando. Go down and hear whatever scuttlebutt is going on, unless it is by invitation only.

Although they had the confirm from 'reliable sources' on the 7 hires in 2014 by January 14, 2014, MLB does not usually give the 'official press release' until sometime in February.

I would imagine they are giving final physicals, etc. to the new hires who have been privately confirmed, and just like players, their full time employment is contingent on passing that physical. Probably those physicals leave time for a quick simple (not major) scope job on a knee if discovered, and the needed surgery can be performed and have the umpire on the field by opening day.

This physical would come from the umpires meeting in Phoenix, whenever that is scheduled each year. There have been articles on Mark Letendre? and others who are in charge of those examinations.

So, that 'official' MLBU announcement, which will probably announce what has been officially confirmed through 'reliable sources only' will show up in the news at that time (usually February in the past), whenever that time is.

Good luck to all involved, both the retirees and the new hires.

Elaborate on these questions you don't ask if you actually want a job in MiLB....

19 hours ago, JDavis225 said:

Elaborate on these questions you don't ask if you actually want a job in MiLB....

Well, the old guy I met used that term and I did not ask him to explain further. I guess I figured if he wanted to elaborate on the subject, he would have, but I just listened and let him talk.

Not being in the know, I would just try and guess it would be like the regular world of work and what questions to ask or not ask in an interview.

I would also assume asking some type of question that puts the instructor in a 'show me up type' situation question would not be good either. Maybe one of those dream play questions with 10-20 coulda woulda shouldas added into the question, that some smart aleck might try to ask would qualify.

I am sure, since I see the SCUA listed as an association in your area, that Clint Fagan who works some clinics for the SCUA, could inform you exactly concerning what that terminology the old guy used would  mean, at least in his mind and be glad to elaborate on that question. Also, a former MLBU from Louisiana that injured out with a concussion could probably elaborate a good deal on the subject if you were to run into him.

I am sure others on here could give several examples that they have heard of, that are right in the wheel house of the question you posed to me, If?????, they decide to answer.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, Mussgrass said:

I may be naive or ignorant, but why could his call in the "imperfect" game not have been corrected? I know, that was before replay. But, he knew immediately he was wrong, as did everyone else.

Marvin Hudson was the PU. He told me that he thought the call was correct. It was only after reviewing the video that they saw he missed it. He said Jim was so depressed that he would not leave the umpire room. One of the coaching staff came in and finally convinced him that he was human. Marvin said when they came out of the tunnel the next night they formed a shield around him so nothing would happen, but nothing bad did... Until he got to the plate and something good did, when the pitcher of the almost PERFECT GAME handed him the lineup. That was pure class.