Going to Partner

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2637 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

From the 2017 rulebook: (POEs)

Asking assistance from a partner is not mandatory. It is the discretion of the plate umpire if he feels that his view was obstructed or that his partner had a better angle on the play. If he does feel that his partner's perspective will provide additional input to his final decision, then he has the flexibility to request his partner's help. Once the opinion is shared, it is the plate umpire who will make the final determination on the call or play.

This POE came up in another thread, but I don't think my question was answered.  In the reverse case where P1 asks for help from PU, wouldn't P1 be the umpire "who will make the final determination on the call or play."???

I feel certain that the given example designated the PU because, in said example, PU was the one going for help.

If FED expects the PU to explain all calls where umpires get together, it goes against the idea of "owning your own call" and the idea that one umpire can never overrule another.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

lawump

• lawump
  • Members
  • 489 posts
  • Location South Carolina
  • Your Association Name :Carolina Baseball Umpires Association; NCAA
On 11/14/2016 at 1:00 PM, Jimurray said:

This is a little confusing in the POEs:

"UMPIRE ASKING ASSISTANCE FROM HIS PARTNER

Often during contests, a coach will request that an umpire seek assistance from his partner for a particular call or play situation. Asking assistance from a partner is not mandatory. It is the discretion of the plate umpire if he feels that his view was obstructed or that his partner had a better angle on the play. If he does feel that his partner’s perspective will provide additional input to his final decision, then he has the flexibility to request his partner’s help. Once the opinion is shared, it is the plate umpire who will make the final determination on the call or play. This entire exchange will be quick and intentional using umpire signals that are relayed to players, coaches and spectators."

I was copied on an email earlier this month from NFHS that was sent to all state directors that clarified this POE. 

Either umpire may ask for assistance from their partner.  The umpire who has primary responsibility (not always the plate umpire) shall indicate the final determination.  The "plate umpire" does not always "make the final determination on the call or play".  It should read,  "the umpire who has primary responsibility for the particular call," will make the final determination on the call or play.

Again, this should be made clear in your state meetings...if your state director read the email sent from Elliot Hopkins at NFHS earlier this month.

• Like 1