Dropped 3rd

DadCoach12u
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2637 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

My son's head coach tells the catcher to step on the plate after a dropped 3rd with bases loaded.  If I understand the rule correctly, this only comes into play with 2 outs.  Is it a force? At every base? I guess I've always heard that the batter may run after a dropped 3rd with two out or with no one one 1st.  If it creates a force play with a man on 1st and two outs, it seems the batter MUST run.  His forced teammates have to run, right?

4 answers to this question

18 hours ago, DadCoach12u said:

My son's head coach tells the catcher to step on the plate after a dropped 3rd with bases loaded.  If I understand the rule correctly, this only comes into play with 2 outs.  Is it a force? At every base? I guess I've always heard that the batter may run after a dropped 3rd with two out or with no one one 1st.  If it creates a force play with a man on 1st and two outs, it seems the batter MUST run.  His forced teammates have to run, right?

This is where understanding why the `first base occupied`rule exists helps in understanding when it does and doesn`t apply.   I have found with coaching my players if they understand why a rule exists they have an easier time remembering it.  This rule, like the infield fly rule, was made to protect the base runners from cheap double and triple plays.

Otherwise, with one out and a runner on first base, a catcher could drop the third strike, and have a good shot at getting a double play - throw to two, throw to one - even easier with bases loaded.

This advantage doesn`t exist when there is two out.

• Like 3

Right, with less than 2 outs and (at least) first base occupied, the batter is out even if the third strike is uncaught.

Yes, it's a force.

Yes, at every base.

Yes, the batter becomes a runner and the other runners are forced.

TLDR; You've got it.

• Like 1