Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Thunderheads

amateur umpires

31 posts in this topic

..... guys quickly....about how many amateur umpires are there in the country???

quick .....need to pass along

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Without being able to find any definitive source, let's do some Fermi estimating:

A quick Google search says that there are about 26,400 public high schools and 10,700 private high schools in the US. Let's guess that 90% of the public high schools and 60% of the private high schools have baseball teams. That gives a little over 30,000 schools with teams. On a given gameday, nearly all of them will have a game, and at 2 umpires per game, that means 1 umpire per school, so around 30,000 varsity-level umpires working on a given night. For every varsity level umpire, there are probably 2-3 others that are not at that level (working JV or youth on the lower end, or college on the upper end), so 60,000 - 90,000. If you want to add in the local rec-ball-only guys (typically teenagers that don't even own their own equipment), I'd guesstimate the total to be around 100,000 (rough order of magnitude).

thanks Kyle ....remember Little League also!!!

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I'm going with my standard answer................. A  $#!TLOAD

And that is the scientific definition of the number of amateur umpires. 

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

thanks Kyle ....remember Little League also!!!

I mentioned "youth" - meaning USSSA, Little League, NBC, etc.

Ahhh ok!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NFHS unofficially estimates that approximately 100,000 to 120,000 individuals umpired a high school game in 2015.

1 person likes this

What's the definition of an amateur umpire?  Someone who works as an umpire as a hobby ... regardless if they actually accept money for it?

39 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

What's the definition of an amateur umpire?  Someone who works as an umpire as a hobby ... regardless if they actually accept money for it?

An umpire who works amateur (as opposed to professional) baseball games.  

2 people like this

14 hours ago, lawump said:

NFHS unofficially estimates that approximately 100,000 to 120,000 individuals umpired a high school game in 2015.

wow ...and that's just high school!   Thanks!!

And what you consider umpires that went to umpire school weren't selected for PBUC and ended up working Independent Professional Baseball? Amateur or Professional?

5 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

And what you consider umpires that went to umpire school weren't selected for PBUC and ended up working Independent Professional Baseball? Amateur or Professional?

It doesn't matter.   My intention was this:

I had a nice chat with a Nike baseball representative about Nike base shoes for umpires or, shoes we could utilize (you know the drill).  He acknowledged that they do get inquiries from other umpires about shoes, and I got into how much of a market Nike is missing which intrigued him.  At that point I wanted to give him numbers to show him it wasn't small potatoes.

1 hour ago, gnhbua93 said:

Professional players == professional umpires (for this thread)

Just now, noumpere said:

Professional players == professional umpires (for this thread)

moreso ..........  anyone who's allowed to wear whatever shoe they want :nod: 

Go deeper in the philosophy and thought process. Is an argument that is eternal with a buddy of mine and I would like others input.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Go deeper in the philosophy and thought process. Is an argument that is eternal with a buddy of mine and I would like others input.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

.......but doesn't relate to the reasons I asked ;) 

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

It doesn't matter.   My intention was this:

I had a nice chat with a Nike baseball representative about Nike base shoes for umpires or, shoes we could utilize (you know the drill).  He acknowledged that they do get inquiries from other umpires about shoes, and I got into how much of a market Nike is missing which intrigued him.  At that point I wanted to give him numbers to show him it wasn't small potatoes.

Don`t be surprised if he`s underwhelmed with that number, if we`re talking purely about market opportunities.  Even if you came in at 500,000 umpires for amateur baseball, slowpitch and fastpitch, which I suspect is too high.   There`s almost 3 million kids playing just Little League...and they wear out, and grow out of, their shoes every season....oftentimes twice per season.

Just now, beerguy55 said:

Don`t be surprised if he`s underwhelmed with that number, if we`re talking purely about market opportunities.  Even if you came in at 500,000 umpires for amateur baseball, slowpitch and fastpitch, which I suspect is too high.   There`s almost 3 million kids playing just Little League...and they wear out, and grow out of, their shoes every season....oftentimes twice per season.

quite the opposite .....my initial estimate of more than 100k SHOCKED him ......he had NO idea!

Seem like an easy decision for them as they already have a variety of turf shoes-they would just need to manufacture them in umpire desired colors.

Ummm I've worn the diamond trainers as my base shoes almost my entire career 

Ummm I've worn the diamond trainers as my base shoes almost my entire career 

Old.....

7 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Old.....

I'm only 35. Haha I will be changing over to the New Balance this year 

11 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I'm only 35. Haha I will be changing over to the New Balance this year 

LOL! SORRY!   What I mean is, ....the Diamond trainers are old shoes, they've been around a long time and never been updated and quite frankly, they're ugly, sorry ...but .... that's what I referring to! :D