Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Storm13

Titanium Mask

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
On 3/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, wolfe_man said:

I was thinking that too.   The Nike Ti and Zro-G's are like 12-13 oz WITHOUT pads and harness - and this is less than 1/2 of that really low number!   That has to be a false reading or misunderstanding of Justin's question by the representative.

I'm betting on misunderstanding.  Boombah also makes a "Defcon Titanium Fielder's Mask" which is advertised at 6.7 oz.

7 hours ago, CJK said:

I'm betting on misunderstanding.  Boombah also makes a "Defcon Titanium Fielder's Mask" which is advertised at 6.7 oz.

Now that makes sense. Boombah is primarily a softball company, despite making gear for both bat sports. Titanium would be an ideal employment as a fielder's mask, since it can be light, thin and still be strong enough for the infrequent impact.

That brings up a talking point – those cheek extensions on batting helmets. Why aren't more of those titanium? Why cheap(er) opaque ABS plastic? Giancarlo Stanton wore one (likely still does)... is it really a cost thing? That segues into throat guards... why are they predominantly ugly spades of plastic shaped like shoe horns?

Yeah, I have my doubts (still) that the catchers / umpires mask is truly titanium.