Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Storm13

Titanium Mask

28 posts in this topic

Website says it is 15oz with all components.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
On 3/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, wolfe_man said:

I was thinking that too.   The Nike Ti and Zro-G's are like 12-13 oz WITHOUT pads and harness - and this is less than 1/2 of that really low number!   That has to be a false reading or misunderstanding of Justin's question by the representative.

I'm betting on misunderstanding.  Boombah also makes a "Defcon Titanium Fielder's Mask" which is advertised at 6.7 oz.

7 hours ago, CJK said:

I'm betting on misunderstanding.  Boombah also makes a "Defcon Titanium Fielder's Mask" which is advertised at 6.7 oz.

Now that makes sense. Boombah is primarily a softball company, despite making gear for both bat sports. Titanium would be an ideal employment as a fielder's mask, since it can be light, thin and still be strong enough for the infrequent impact.

That brings up a talking point – those cheek extensions on batting helmets. Why aren't more of those titanium? Why cheap(er) opaque ABS plastic? Giancarlo Stanton wore one (likely still does)... is it really a cost thing? That segues into throat guards... why are they predominantly ugly spades of plastic shaped like shoe horns?

Yeah, I have my doubts (still) that the catchers / umpires mask is truly titanium.