Who is allowed in dugout

jjskitours
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2643 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

13 answers to this question

Good question! The only mention of authorized personnel allowed in the dugout I can find is rule 3-3-1:

“A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not…”

The corresponding case book play is 3.3.1 Situation W (2015 edition).

According to the 2016 edition of the BRD in a note found on page 94, since Fed does not define “bench personnel” it is anyone the head coach wants on the bench.

It could have many people, I have seen the JV team in the Varsity dugout before. In Maine it is regulated to a number of players and 'staff' during the playoffs.

I think common sense goes a long way on the umpire's part for this. However you handle it, it is the head coach's responsibility to maintain control, not ours. Basically the rule says, "anyone" who is in there, must abide by the rules. We just enforce the rules of the dugout, as if the offender is a player or coach, no matter who it is.

I've seen tourneys and leagues regulate by requiring a roster beforehand, with players/coaches/managers/batboys listed on the roster - if not on the roster, not on the bench.

Softball Alberta only allows four "non-players"  on the bench during Provincial tournaments, not including batboys/girls, and they must be on the team roster submitted at the coach's meeting at the beginning of the tournament.

There has to be some level of judgment - eg. medical personnel/parents attending to an injury.

I'm pretty sure Jesus is always allowed on the bench. :)

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

I've seen tourneys and leagues regulate by requiring a roster beforehand, with players/coaches/managers/batboys listed on the roster - if not on the roster, not on the bench.

Softball Alberta only allows four "non-players"  on the bench during Provincial tournaments, not including batboys/girls, and they must be on the team roster submitted at the coach's meeting at the beginning of the tournament.

There has to be some level of judgment - eg. medical personnel/parents attending to an injury.

I'm pretty sure Jesus is always allowed on the bench. :)

But he can't hit a curve ball...

• Like 4

I've mentioned many times that I've ejected an embarrassingly few players & coaches over 13 years, but this reminds me that I've kicked several people out of dugouts.

1) A non-player who decided since he's just "hangin out" with the team, he doesn't have to stay in the dugout.

2) A scorekeeper (non-coach, no uniform) who felt entitled to gripe about my strike zone.

3) An 8-year-old bat boy who ran out of the dugout twice with no helmet (later found out it was the Head Coach's son).

4) A girlfriend of a player who repeatedly would step out of the dugout by 3 or 4 steps, turn her back, and talk to her mom or some female adult through the fence during a live ball. (She was supposedly getting school credit for being a dugout attendant).

5) And ... ya can't make this up ... a dog. (Yes, I ejected a canine) I asked the coach why it was in the dugout and he said, "He's kinda like our team mascot ... if he's bothering you, he can go." Yapped constantly throughout the game. I can get that at home .....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VolUmp said:

I've mentioned many times that I've ejected an embarrassingly few players & coaches over 13 years, but this reminds me that I've kicked several people out of dugouts.

1) A non-player who decided since he's just "hangin out" with the team, he doesn't have to stay in the dugout.

2) A scorekeeper (non-coach, no uniform) who felt entitled to gripe about my strike zone.

3) An 8-year-old bat boy who ran out of the dugout twice with no helmet (later found out it was the Head Coach's son).

4) A girlfriend of a player who repeatedly would step out of the dugout by 3 or 4 steps, turn her back, and talk to her mom or some female adult through the fence during a live ball. (She was supposedly getting school credit for being a dugout attendant).

5) And ... ya can't make this up ... a dog. (Yes, I ejected a canine) I asked the coach why it was in the dugout and he said, "He's kinda like our team mascot ... if he's bothering you, he can go." Yapped constantly throughout the game. I can get that at home .....

Yep. Tennis shoes and clip boards get short leashes!

• Like 3

VolUmp brings up the "in uniform" part, which hadn't been touched on before.  So the caveat that if the AD or parent is allowed by the HC to be in the dugout, they better be in uniform or we'll be quick to notice anything they do that we don't like.