Up or down?

Guest dylnnnnn
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2670 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest dylnnnnn

Balls and strikes, I was always taught that you call a ball while down and stand up to call and signal strike.  I have read where Peter Osborne and Carl Childress advocate

that you call both while down.  Would like the group's input on this.  Thanks.

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest dylnnnnn said:

Balls and strikes, I was always taught that you call a ball while down and stand up to call and signal strike.  I have read where Peter Osborne and Carl Childress advocate

Consider the source, and compare to the others from whom you have heard.

• Like 1

In a way, we "call" both while down. Before I move, signal, or verbalize anything, I determine the call, ball or strike, mentally.

Then we use our mechanics:

• For 'ball': we don't signal anything, but only verbalize, medium volume, "Ball." No need to stand for that (Evans teaches that we stay down partly to be in F2's ear, as he's the first one we have to convince of the call!)
  • For 'strike': we stand, signal, and (for called strikes) verbalize the call. Standing confers power and authority on the call.

I don't know why CC recommends staying down, unless it's to help umpires with bad timing who stand up quickly and then call 'ball'. If we just want consistency, why not stand up for every call? Or maybe it's to ease the stress on the back? Or just being contrary? I dunno.

I think the important part is the "read". Take your time. The more I learn and work, the more I'm amazed at how quickly some guys make a call. Sometimes it feels like they are anticipating the call and are already in the motion before the play actually occurs. 

Perhaps the motion of standing reinforces that, it gives you time to think about the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Mister B said:

I think the important part is the "read". Take your time. The more I learn and work, the more I'm amazed at how quickly some guys make a call. Sometimes it feels like they are anticipating the call and are already in the motion before the play actually occurs. 

Perhaps the motion of standing reinforces that, it gives you time to think about the pitch. 

This is generally an issue with tracking and/or proper use of eyes. At least when it has to do with balls and strikes.

As for CC, who the heck knows. Could be he is still teaching the old way?

Here’s why Carl Childress stays down to call any pitch (quoted from his website):

I changed from “come up on a strike” right after my first game back in 1954. During that game this sequence occurred: Pitch, pop, come up, “Ball!” Yuk! I had changed my mind on the way up. I call that jerking. After she saw my game, my mother said that only jerks do it. So, from then on I simply stayed down on both balls and strikes, coming up after the call to signal the strike. It’s certainly dealer’s choice. But if there’s the slightest chance you will “come up” and call “Ball ” a la the young Carl, please bifurcate. I won’t tell.

On 11/25/2016 at 9:39 AM, Guest dylnnnnn said:

Every college camp I've been to is crystal clear:

Stay down for ball.   Stand and use mechanic for strike.

My ball call is immediate - in the catcher's ear.  My strike call is significantly slower.

By about the third batter, he gets my timing, and I don't need to put up with him "holding" a framed pitch for 3 futile seconds.

• Like 1