IFF who has the call

Guest Waldo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2703 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

9 answers to this question

9 hours ago, ElkOil said:

You can also pre-game it. Some guys I work with prefer that the plate guy verbalize it while the base guy points, since he may have a better view of the ball on a pop up..

This mechanic is so basic — and getting it wrong so costless — that I wouldn't think pre-gaming it would be a good use of time. I certainly don't pre-game every basic mechanic in the book (and I wouldn't sit around if a partner tried to do so).

And no mechanic manual I've heard of supports the "division of labor" mechanic you describe.

The PBUC "Manual for the Two-Umpire System" for MiLB reads, in part, "There is no restriction on which umpire should initiate the infield fly call other than the plate umpire should be the one to initiate the call if the fly ball is hit near either foul line." (page 58 of the edition I got 2-3 years ago)

The 2014 PBUC Umpire Manual reads, "the umpire is to rule," without specifying which umpire. It goes on to state, "When one umpire calls an infield fly, other umpires are instructed to follow the call immediately...." (page 101)

Has this been superseded? Is the catch/no catch principle a Fed mechanic?

14 hours ago, LRZ said:

The PBUC "Manual for the Two-Umpire System" for MiLB reads, in part, "There is no restriction on which umpire should initiate the infield fly call other than the plate umpire should be the one to initiate the call if the fly ball is hit near either foul line." (page 58 of the edition I got 2-3 years ago)

The 2014 PBUC Umpire Manual reads, "the umpire is to rule," without specifying which umpire. It goes on to state, "When one umpire calls an infield fly, other umpires are instructed to follow the call immediately...." (page 101)

Has this been superseded? Is the catch/no catch principle a Fed mechanic?

As a practical matter, there's no difference between what PBUC says and what Maven says.

On 11/20/2016 at 6:25 AM, maven said:

This mechanic is so basic — and getting it wrong so costless — that I wouldn't think pre-gaming it would be a good use of time. I certainly don't pre-game every basic mechanic in the book (and I wouldn't sit around if a partner tried to do so).

And no mechanic manual I've heard of supports the "division of labor" mechanic you describe.

I'm a rebel like that. Just turning the umpiring world on its ear. 

Now, I know what you're thinking, but really... there's no need to thank me.

• Like 2