Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Mister B

NASO or ABUA

19 posts in this topic

So, I only do rec youth ball, so my risk is low, but my current HC has a fairly high deductible which will be going up next year. (40% increase, yea! ACA) But I do get worried that I may get hurt. Had a catcher take a thrown bat to the leg in a game, and I don't need that. Plus the $75-120 is much more palatable over the $5K deductible I currently have. 

So I was thinking that I should take advantage of the insurance thru NASO or ABUA. I just don't know, which one. Any thoughts/suggestions? 

I don't do any other sports. 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I use NASO - thankfully I have never needed the insurance. You get other perks from them as well (hotels, rental cars, magazine etc).

29 minutes ago, maineump said:

I use NASO - thankfully I have never needed the insurance. You get other perks from them as well (hotels, rental cars, magazine etc).

I too use NASO (which is what I assume you meant with NOSA). Also have never used the insurance, thankfully. But the added perks Maineump listed are definitely nice.

On 11/15/2016 at 2:17 PM, Mister B said:

So, I only do rec youth ball, so my risk is low, but my current HC has a fairly high deductible which will be going up next year. (40% increase, yea! ACA) But I do get worried that I may get hurt. Had a catcher take a thrown bat to the leg in a game, and I don't need that. Plus the $75-120 is much more palatable over the $5K deductible I currently have. 

So I was thinking that I should take advantage of the insurance thru NASO or ABUA. I just don't know, which one. Any thoughts/suggestions? 

I have both. You stated that you only do baseball. Do to this, my suggestion is go with ABUA 

I am insured through my state association for all sports that I work for that year, plus assigner coverage.  I don't see the need for more insurance.

Some people like NASO for the "free" Referee subscription.

Good luck w/ your decison.

On 11/15/2016 at 1:17 PM, Mister B said:

You should check to see if either really covers the injuries you might sustain and what is required to make a claim.  I think they are more for liability and perhaps optional lost-game fees, etc.

I suspect that there are very few people who actually file a claim.  The fine print is the key with this stuff.  They will always take your money.

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

I am insured through my state association for all sports that I work for that year, plus assigner coverage.  I don't see the need for more insurance.

Some people like NASO for the "free" Referee subscription.

Good luck w/ your decison.

I don't think most umpires realize that if you call HS Baseball that insurance covers you all year long. No matter where you work games.

3 people like this

On 12/20/2016 at 9:27 AM, JaxRolo said:

I don't think most umpires realize that if you call HS Baseball that insurance covers you all year long. No matter where you work games.

Agree.  I see no need to have more than one policy.  I don't have double car insurance, home owners, etc...why would I have or need double officiating coverage?

To each his own, but to me, it's a waste of money.

1 person likes this

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:27 AM, JaxRolo said:

Are you sure it covers if you do non-high school games? Why would the Federation cover you for a Little League, College or American Legion game? They don't even play under the same rule set.

When I was a hockey referee, USA hockey insurance only covered USA sanctioned games.

1 hour ago, maineump said:

Are you sure it covers if you do non-high school games? Why would the Federation cover you for a Little League, College or American Legion game? They don't even play under the same rule set.

When I was a hockey referee, USA hockey insurance only covered USA sanctioned games.

I know with my new group I'm covered all year long. 

2 hours ago, maineump said:

44 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I know with my new group I'm covered all year long. 

We are the same. WOA covers us for anything that I work through the unit in Vancouver. But if I go outside the Vancouver unit, I am on my own.

13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

We are the same. WOA covers us for anything that I work through the unit in Vancouver. But if I go outside the Vancouver unit, I am on my own.

So your group covers you - I work for 4 different groups, and we are not covered. I am on my own insurance and NASO as my back-up.

Our HS group only has liability insurance for the facilities we hold meetings etc. Pretty sure our college group has nothing, as we are independent contractors, same as Legion. Little League is the only games I think that have coverage.

1 hour ago, maineump said:

So your group covers you - I work for 4 different groups, and we are not covered. I am on my own insurance and NASO as my back-up.

Our HS group only has liability insurance for the facilities we hold meetings etc. Pretty sure our college group has nothing, as we are independent contractors, same as Legion. Little League is the only games I think that have coverage.

I would have to check. But I believe we have liability and some disability insurance worked out through the state. However, if I work any where else or for anyone else, I need my own insurance. So I have it.

1 person likes this

When you work High School, NFHS have an insurance option. The H.S. group that I belong to cover the members with that insurance. Also there is an option for AAU sanctioned events through AAU.

In Texas, TASO (our state umpire asso.) used to cover us for any sports officiating done. That changed a few years ago and is now limited to games assigned by a TASO member. If you aren't sure about the coverage in your location and this is an issue for you, check with a knowledgeable representative in your area.

1 person likes this