Fun end to championship game

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2695 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10u tournament at a very popular tournament sight in north jersey (most tri state guys know where I'm talking about, pretty sure its in my bio too). championship game. this facility has a baseball program with teams at every age group as well, their coaches/parents are notorious for expecting special treatment. they are the HT. the VT is a team that made the trip from Quebec, not one of the kids spoke anything but french and only one the manager spoke conversational english (he probably wasn't the manager but he came out for ground rules and was the only one we could understand so by default he became VTHC). Bot 6 HT down 7-6 w/ R2 R3 and 2 outs. Batter hits a pop up about halfway up 1bl. F1 drifts over is just about settled under it and BR absolutely drills him going up the 1bl. Im BU and Im in C (on the outside cause small field). PU doesn't call anything ball hits F1 in fair territory and rolls away. R3 and R2 score. HT is piling out on the field thinking they won the tournment. VT are screaming and going bananas (all in french, i have no idea what they were saying (probably a good thing cause they seemed pissed)). VTHC comes out and in broken english requests that we get together. PU comes to me and says "i think that was INT, is that what you saw too?" i respond "100%". he goes ok. we both turn and point at the BR and signal the out. The french candian team is going bonkers having won the tournment. The host team is losing their SH*# on us. The coaches are screaming to the effects of "thats F*#King bullSH*#. you took the F*#King tourney away from the kids." We left to many similar comments from the HT fans "thats F*#King horrible. you guys need to go back to F*#King school." very strange ending.

A few quick things. This is obviously a HTBT situation but as you describe it I would have been inside, small field or not. If they can lead off use regular 2-man mechanics. I or my partner or hopefully both of us would have called and signaled big that we had interference right away if F1 was the fielder we were protecting. Lastly, if you had to get together and change your ruling, HPU who should have the call, would have to go to the OTHC and let him know what you were going to do. This seems like something that demanded an emfatic call right away, "that's nothing!" or, "that's interference, he's out!".

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

A few quick things. This is obviously a HTBT situation but as you describe it I would have been inside, small field or not. If they can lead off use regular 2-man mechanics. I or my partner or hopefully both of us would have called and signaled big that we had interference right away if F1 was the fielder we were protecting. Lastly, if you had to get together and change your ruling, HPU who should have the call, would have to go to the OTHC and let him know what you were going to do. This seems like something that demanded an emfatic call right away, "that's nothing!" or, "that's interference, he's out!".

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

there was no leading so thats why i was on the outside

I agree with Ken.  Even from C on the outside, you should be coming up BIG and killing the play and calling the interference.  Doing so would have gone a long way to preventing the home team's coaches and fans from feeling they had something taken away from them.  I'm sure the fans were yelling that the runner owns the baseline or some other crap.

I also agree that when you are changing a call in this situation, the best way to handle it would have been to approach the HC to give him an explanation before making the call.  Granted, most coaches will know the call is being changed when you walk over to him, but it gives you a chance to give the explanation before all hell breaks loose.  I think you know better than to have both of you giving the out mechanic in any case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I agree with Ken.  Even from C on the outside, you should be coming up BIG and killing the play and calling the interference.  Doing so would have gone a long way to preventing the home team's coaches and fans from feeling they had something taken away from them.  I'm sure the fans were yelling that the runner owns the baseline or some other crap.

I also agree that when you are changing a call in this situation, the best way to handle it would have been to approach the HC to give him an explanation before making the call.  Granted, most coaches will know the call is being changed when you walk over to him, but it gives you a chance to give the explanation before all hell breaks loose.  I think you know better than to have both of you giving the out mechanic in any case.

I agree with the above. I probably should have killed it right away but i assumed (ASS U ME) my partner would get it...as for both of us calling the out i agree we could've handled it cleaner.

• Like 2

In the case of both coming up with a mechanic, When I get with my partner I try and say "ok I am going to give the interference and out mechanic" That was one thing I was taught early on is that if you get together you both confirm who is making the mechanic before breaking up your conversation.  

Had my first Rules Interpreter in high school tell me a story that he got together with his partner in a college game and he swore that he they got together to get something right to safe a runner, and when they broke apart the partner called the runner out and all hell broke loose.  

Might seem basic, but communicate your actions with your partner before you make them so you are on the same page.