Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Umpire in Chief

Pro School

Every year we have a handful of members who go to one of the 2 pro schools. Some are looking for jobs and the chance to enter Baseballs Narrowest Door others are just looking for the learning opportunity. Either way, I for one am envious. So if you feel comfortable doing so please let us know if you're going to be attending pro school.

• Like 2

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I will be attending MiLB in January this year, with  aspirations of being one of the few attending the advanced course.  I'm looking forward to the education/training.  Hope to see some of you there!  

• Like 4

I'm going to the MiLB school in January as well - well aware of the narrow path but am going to give it a shot. 

Will come out of it a much better umpire regardless.

• Like 5

I am going to the Wendelstedt umpire school in January.  My aim is to make it to the advanced course and get a job but like Steven said the learning/experience will be worth it regardless. 

There are 3 of us going for sure in my area/association - maybe 4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskerUmp22 said:

I am going to the Wendelstedt umpire school in January.  My aim is to make it to the advanced course and get a job but like Steven said the learning/experience will be worth it regardless. 

There are 3 of us going for sure in my area/association - maybe 4. 

Why go to wendlestedt when the guys who hire you are at the MILB school? 4 weeks of exposure for the guys who go to the MILB school is a huge head start over the guys from the wendlestedt school.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tpatience said:

Why go to wendlestedt when the guys who hire you are at the MILB school? 4 weeks of exposure for the guys who go to the MILB school is a huge head start over the guys from the wendlestedt school.

My thoughts exactly.  That and staying on site is another plus for me.

• Like 1

Those questioning the Wendlestedt school... There is a long history of respect for that program, they still listen and send guys.  It doesn't hurt that have a massive amount of guys in the system and MLB umpires on staff...  Don't underestimate how much clout the Wendlestedt school has.  Doesn't hurt to go to the MiLB school either and I get it, but they will hire the best at the evaluation regardless of where you are from.  You also have more time and exposure to be written off at the PBUC camp as well, same with Wendlestedt.

If you can work, they will find you.  I promise, no matter which.

• Like 5

I was planning to go to umpire school this year, was about to register but my father had a heart attack so couldnt go,im 19 and still live at home so im helping out with the bills, but i am going to be going in 2018 for sure to MiLB school even tho everyone i know went to wendelstedt. If anyone going to MiLB please tell Andy Sholtz that "Sean Barbers buddy, Leo, said Hi". I want to go to hopefully get a job like some of the people i know. Although i know its a narrow path i will enjoy it either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gclg2000 said:

Those questioning the Wendlestedt school... There is a long history of respect for that program, they still listen and send guys.  It doesn't hurt that have a massive amount of guys in the system and MLB umpires on staff...  Don't underestimate how much clout the Wendlestedt school has.  Doesn't hurt to go to the MiLB school either and I get it, but they will hire the best at the evaluation regardless of where you are from.  You also have more time and exposure to be written off at the PBUC camp as well, same with Wendlestedt.

I'm not saying anything bad against wendlestedt. But it gives you a significant advantage if you go to the MILB school. Only reason people think Wendlestedt is better is because it has been around longer and has more professional graduates.

10 hours ago, tpatience said:

2 hours ago, gclg2000 said:

I actually met with Dusty Dellinger 2 weeks ago and while not discussing one school over the other - the topic was actually about a new area of cooperation between MiLBUA & Wendelstedt School. But one of his points was it's his job to put the best people he can on the field for his League Presidents regardless of where they come from.

I honestly don't think there is going to be any bias for/against graduates of either program.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I actually met with Dusty Dellinger 2 weeks ago and while not discussing one school over the other - the topic was actually about a new area of cooperation between MiLBUA & Wendelstedt School. But one of his points was it's his job to put the best people he can on the field for his League Presidents regardless of where they come from.

I honestly don't think there is going to be any bias for/against graduates of either program.

I'm not saying they are biased. But at MILB, they already spent 4 weeks observing the best at the school. They don't know anyone from wendlestedt. Not saying either school is better, just saying one has a distinct advantage.

5 hours ago, gclg2000 said:

Yes... we just had a 3 day clinic in my area and got to meet the owner of the school (Hunter) and two of the main instructors at the pro school. I am going to Wendlestedt because that's where all of my contacts are. They said to us all weekend, "You can't hide a good umpire and you can't hide a bad one." 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HuskerUmp22 said:

Yes... we just had a 3 day clinic in my area and got to meet the owner of the school (Hunter) and two of the main instructors at the pro school. I am going to Wendlestedt because that's where all of my contacts are. They said to us all weekend, "You can't hide a good umpire and you can't hide a bad one." 

Going to attend the WUS weekend clinic out here in Portland in February. Fewer things I am looking forward to that getting to do this.

• Like 1

This is kinda like the harvard/yale, babe ruth/hank aaron etc etc. that make for some good old competitive conversations.

But remember "one" thing

You cannot 'win' (get a job in MiLB if that is what you are after) if you do not 'enter' (go to one of the two schools).

Period.

Have not heard one person, going for a job or not going for a job, that is just interested in being the best umpire they can be, regret the opportunity to attend and learn as much as they can from either school.

Nuff said.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tpatience said:

I'm not saying anything bad against wendlestedt. But it gives you a significant advantage if you go to the MILB school. Only reason people think Wendlestedt is better is because it has been around longer and has more professional graduates.

Not true at all.. I know guys from MLB to AA... once your in the game it doesnt matter where you went... Now.. having a MLB Umpire ( which MiLB school doesnt) will help you, you have to have a sponsor in your corner. I just talked to a AAA guy who has been out for 1 yr.. he said He would go tot Harry's if he could do it all over again.

10 hours ago, tpatience said:

I'm not saying they are biased. But at MILB, they already spent 4 weeks observing the best at the school. They don't know anyone from wendlestedt. Not saying either school is better, just saying one has a distinct advantage.

What is the advantage?  What if you were good at MiLB and maybe you messed up a play a couple of times.. they will remember when it comes times for PBUC eval course.. But going to Harry's you come in with a clean slate and no one knows you.

But what do I know?

4 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

This is kinda like the harvard/yale, babe ruth/hank aaron etc etc. that make for some good old competitive conversations.

But remember "one" thing

You cannot 'win' (get a job in MiLB if that is what you are after) if you do not 'enter' (go to one of the two schools).

Period.

Have not heard one person, going for a job or not going for a job, that is just interested in being the best umpire they can be, regret the opportunity to attend and learn as much as they can from either school.

Nuff said.

Boom.. Mic drop.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

What is the advantage?  What if you were good at MiLB and maybe you messed up a play a couple of times.. they will remember when it comes times for PBUC eval course.. But going to Harry's you come in with a clean slate and no one knows you.

But what do I know?

The advantage is that you spend 4 weeks with the guys who are ultimately going to be your bosses in the minor leagues, if you get hired. I've heard all the sides, but when I go to pro school, it's not a difficult choice on which school to go to.

oh.. so you havent been to Pro school.... It just seemed like the way your talking that you have..

Ok.. I have.. at the end you do waht you want.. But i will tell you.. many of my class mates from Harry's are still in the game.. AAA, AA.. IT DOESNT MATTER ONCE YOUR IN THE GAME WHERE YOU WENT...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

oh.. so you havent been to Pro school.... It just seemed like the way your talking that you have..

Ok.. I have.. at the end you do waht you want.. But i will tell you.. many of my class mates from Harry's are still in the game.. AAA, AA.. IT DOESNT MATTER ONCE YOUR IN THE GAME WHERE YOU WENT...

I'm not disagreeing with you about if you are in the game already. Harry's was pretty much the school everyone went to. But now, the obvious school to go to, in my opinion, is the MILB school. If the Wendlestedt school was created at the same time the MILB school was created, people wouldn't go to Wendlestedt to try to get a job. They would go to MILB because they are the people that will hire you. 

3 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

AMEN!!!

On a different note, Just for SH*#s and giggles, a kid who is 18 and umpires travel ball, although im only a year older than him, ive done some high level ball so some of my friends who are in the game and I tried to help him and when we did he says "I already know my stuff im a Perfect Game Umpire" we all died laughing and then left haha. From what ive been told he has also told a coach in a 10U game that haha.

58 minutes ago, tpatience said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about if you are in the game already. Harry's was pretty much the school everyone went to. But now, the obvious school to go to, in my opinion, is the MILB school. If the Wendlestedt school was created at the same time the MILB school was created, people wouldn't go to Wendlestedt to try to get a job. They would go to MILB because they are the people that will hire you. 

I truly think your missing my points here..

I just had MLB guy call a umpire school guy who wanted to go to MiLB school..well now he is changing his mind and going to Harry's// IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO THE MLB, YOU NEED A SPONSOR..Harrys has MLB guys the other school doesn't. I know and like the instructors at the other school.. they do a really great job, but someone has to help you, why not have a big league do it.

I won't be attending Pro School, as I'm too damn old. But I'll offer my advice. 

First, like many things in life, success is less about where you did something, and more about what you did when you were there. 

Go to the school that is most comfortable for you. If you aren't relaxed, it's not going to be a good experience. If you are close to WUS, it may make more sense than paying the extra $$ to travel down to FL and stay there. 

If you stand out at either school, as an outstanding umpire, you'll get noticed. MLB wants outstanding umpires. Everybody talks, both schools do well when the up-comers are great. It's not a popularity contest, they'll take the top guy at WUS over the top guy at TUS, if he's better. 

Just like Harvard law school will take the driven, straight A student from State College over the lazy, A student from Dartmouth. 

I would suggest that attending 1 or a couple of weekend camps will help more than anything. You'll know what to expect and you'll get some reps at the higher level. Paying $200 to have somebody tell you that you need to work on your mechanics makes more sense than finding that out at the Pro School that your mechanics need work. If you're looking to make it through that narrow door, you're going to be the guy at Pro School, who is polishing his skills, not re-working them. 

And this is the Wendlestedt School, it's synonymous with umpire. It's not the Jim Bob Cooter School for Baseball Umpires and Auto Shop Mechanics.  I would think that if somebody from WUS recommended you, you're gonna get noticed. 

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Haid D' Salaami said:

I truly think your missing my points here..

I just had MLB guy call a umpire school guy who wanted to go to MiLB school..well now he is changing his mind and going to Harry's// IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO THE MLB, YOU NEED A SPONSOR..Harrys has MLB guys the other school doesn't. I know and like the instructors at the other school.. they do a really great job, but someone has to help you, why not have a big league do it.

Haid, can you explain the "sponsor" part of this while conversation? I always thought you just go. If you are good enough, you are in. If not, then you are not (with some exceptions of guus that get placed in Indy leagues I believe.)

What does having a sponsor do for you?