Best Indicator on the market?

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2621 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looking for a new indicator for the 2017 season and beyond. Time to upgrade. Wanted to hear from you guys on what is the most popular (and best quality) indicator's available. I understand "best" is personal preference, just looking for something high quality, durable, and that offers best performance over taking a beating for a few seasons. Thanks for any insight gentleman.

I really like the Mizuno indicator. It's so small, thin and light, unlike anything else out there. Easy to handle, and fairly easy to see the big numbers at arms length.

The down sides are: Cost, about $18. Location, across the Pacific, so they take awhile to show up. 4 balls/3 strikes, It'd rather have 3/2. The screened on graphics are starting to wear off.

Yeah, that sounds like more bad than good. But I still think it's the best for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-2ZA218-Umpire-Gear-Indicator-Counter-Baseball-Black-/201708691159?hash=item2ef6c65ed7:g:LjMAAOSwcUBYHAgD

mizuno.jpg

• Like 1

"Best" is personal opinion.  It depends on what you like.  Do you want an indicator that includes innings?  Do you want the strike wheel on your thumb or on your index finger?  4 balls and 3 strikes or 3 balls and 2 strikes?  Plastic is lighter and cheaper.  Metal is heavier and more durable.  Do you want it notched?  And then there's the Japanese indicators which are completely different.  My personal favorite is the All Star die cast metal indicator that is pre-notched at every number with only 3 balls and 2 strikes:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators/UC5-BC_All-Star-4-Dial-Die-Cast-Metal-Umpire-Indicator-322-Count

• Like 5

Our site at Ump-Attire.com has NOW added a feature of the indicators to show how big/small the indicators look in my hand. I'm 6'3" - I prefer the over-sized, black plastic style, by Markwort - that have the 3/2/2 on the dials.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators/?page=1&perpage=24&cat=46&orderby=price desc&brand=&search=

I'm finding out that a lot of the minor league guys like the metal ALL-STAR 4-dial indicator with 3/2/2 on the dials. It's a heavier indicator - but, again, very popular with the MiLB that come in the store during their travels.

• Like 2

Uh oh... Now its ALL ON!

First @UADirOps and the @JimKirk. Now THE @Scott Kennedy is on here too!?! Do I see a possible product review for indicators in the near future? Let's hope so.

As for me. I am in complete agreement with Scott. I like the oversized three wheel indicators with the 3/2/2. But I prefer to have the "ball" number on top. It just seems more natural to me and makes for a quick read. I also notch my own wheels at zero. Will have to take a look at the 4 wheel indicator as well.

Edited by BT_Blue
Realized they still make indicators with the "strike" number at the top... For some reason.
  • Like 1

One thing that college evaluators hate is an umpire that is constantly looking at his indicator.  The notches on the All Star allow me to just squeeze it to know the count and I almost never have to look at it.

While it took some getting used to, the notches on every number really help me besides not having to look at the indicator to know the count.  My strike two call is "Two!" and I find myself squeezing the indicator to verify that there is one strike right before saying "Two!".  I do the same with outs before calling IFF.

Is it a bit of a crutch for me?  Perhaps.  But I feel that it frees me to think about more important things on the field.

• Like 1

@BT_Blue If I can offer some insight on some gear and apparel, I'm more than happy to help.

As you can see, I like the indicator that also happens to be less cost to the umpire. However, my "insight" tells you that a lot of MiLB guys that come into the store like the indicator that is higher priced. I'm here to help.....not sell. 

Thanks for allowing me to join the group.

• Like 4

I used a plastic 4-3 indicator for my first 3 years umpiring. I got so used to it that switching to a metal indicator (I think the champro with green dials) that went 3-2 was weird. There's no right or wrong here, just preference. I had a plastic indicator break on me my 2nd or 3rd year, not sure if the metal indicators have a habit of that or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Good to see @Scott Kennedy my instructor at WUS in 2005. Good memories. Also Sam Holbrook a top notch individual as well

Thanks for being a part of the greatest memories at umpire school. Blessed to have that opportunity & it play a major role in my life.

"We all can't be Major League umpires, but we can all be Major League people........"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Kennedy said:

@BT_Blue If I can offer some insight on some gear and apparel, I'm more than happy to help.

As you can see, I like the indicator that also happens to be less cost to the umpire. However, my "insight" tells you that a lot of MiLB guys that come into the store like the indicator that is higher priced. I'm here to help.....not sell. 

Thanks for allowing me to join the group.

Trust me. We are in constant contact on Facebook.

Sadly, you guys at UA might be the only ones that could give a real world-ish opinion on a chest protector that I had been asking about.  Was a competitor's CP. But you guys carried it for a short time.

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php?/topic/66407-looking-for-cp-opinion/

It seems like no one... Anywhere... Has ever actual seen this CP. Let alone used one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

@Scott Kennedy, have the MiLB guys said if they use the innings wheel at all? I would think they would not need to because of the semi-reliable professional scoreboards.

They have not indicated that & I assume the same thought. MiLB and D1 are pretty freaking good about keeping up with the innings b/c most are synced with online stats as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I've always wondered why indicators that show strike-ball, rather than the more logical ball-strike, are still manufactured.

I like my thumb to click strikes and my index finger to click ball. Just what I'm used to.

I like one that has the innings on it - I don't use the innings part, but it fits really well in my hand. Plastic is better for me, as it gets pretty cold in some of our season - better to prevent frostbite :) 

I do use it for college, as they still mess up the scoreboard. I only glance at it, when I don't remember the count - I usually do it when "adjusting my mask".

• Like 1

I love the All Star model mention above. Love the heavy weight, notches, 3-2-2 configuration with innings. As durable as they come. I think I've had mine 3 years now and it's as good now as it was day one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

I love the All Star model mention above. Love the heavy weight, notches, 3-2-2 configuration with innings. As durable as they come. I think I've had mine 3 years now and it's as good now as it was day one.

Why do we need innings when they are on the scoreboard in upper level games and what's on your indicator doesn't mean squat in a lower level game. I just ask the HT SC for score and inning after what I think is 3. If you are in one of those tournaments where you fill in the card the innings take care of themselves unless you fell asleep after 2 123 innings.

9 hours ago, Scott Kennedy said:

They have not indicated that & I assume the same thought. MiLB and D1 are pretty freaking good about keeping up with the innings b/c most are synced with online stats as well.

Next time they come in. It would be an interesting bit of information to have.

21 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Why do we need innings when they are on the scoreboard in upper level games and what's on your indicator doesn't mean squat in a lower level game. I just ask the HT SC for score and inning after what I think is 3. If you are in one of those tournaments where you fill in the card the innings take care of themselves unless you fell asleep after 2 123 innings.

Don't look at me. I always thought the inning wheel was a silly idea.