Register or Sign In to remove these ads
sd181612

Player arguing play

Here is a situation that I know you all will be able to help me with: 1 out runner on second. Batter hits a ball towards first base foul territory, ball is caught. Runner from second takes off without tagging, wild throw towards the SS covering 2B. Runner goes back, slides, base flies a few feet; runner is safe. There's this player on the defense who had already expressed discontent on a bang-bang play; he argues on this one as well. Question is, should I have ejected him. This is triple-AAA little league, about 9-11 years old.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

This depends (imo) on how he argued. If he said "I thought I got him!" on both, letting it slide.

If he says stuff like "cmon man, you're killin me smalls!" Well ,that's different.

Depends on how responsive they are to you at that age. If you can turn it into a teaching moment about not arguing with umpires I'm sure your fellow umpires will thank you down the road. I don't see much here for an ejection especially since the kid is somewhere between 9 and 11. Unless he argues vociferous or continuously I'm probably going to ignore it. 

• Like 1

A kid that young arguing every time he doesn't like a call? He has a lesson to be learned, and you are the teacher. How you do it is for you to decide, in the context of the game: although an EJ might be too harsh, "son, that's all from you I going to take today" or "coach, if you want to keep that kid in the game, get him under control" or some such. 

That age is instructional, but I wouldn't rely on a daddy coach to instruct (if he does, I'd stay out of the way).

"Right or wrong, never argue with an umpire. Your coach can ask about a call if he wants to, but you'll play your best if you keep your head in the game."

Now, if he drops an F-bomb on me, that's another story....

9 hours ago, maven said:

That age is instructional, but I wouldn't rely on a daddy coach to instruct (if he does, I'd stay out of the way).

"Right or wrong, never argue with an umpire. Your coach can ask about a call if he wants to, but you'll play your best if you keep your head in the game."

Now, if he drops an F-bomb on me, that's another story....

Tanner Boyle syndrome...

At this age, you really don't want to eject. I would approach the coach and let him know that he needs to start coaching. Then give him a choice/warning, if it happens again, he's got 15 seconds to sit his player, or you'll sit him and he won't be playing the next game as well. 

Aside from a child arguing... what was he arguing about? Caught ball and a bad throw... was the slide back into first bang/bang? Per LL rules the base detaching is expected and the offense can either go to where the bag should be or where it currently lies and still be safe.

So why was he complaining? As for a 8-9 year old whining that is something to take up with the coach quickly or little Johnny will be seeing the remainder of the game from the dug-out. 

3 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Aside from a child arguing... what was he arguing about? Caught ball and a bad throw... was the slide back into first bang/bang? Per LL rules the base detaching is expected and the offense can either go to where the bag should be or where it currently lies and still be safe.

So why was he complaining? As for a 8-9 year old whining that is something to take up with the coach quickly or little Johnny will be seeing the remainder of the game from the dug-out. 

He was complaining about a banger at first, and then about the detached base issue.

If it's a nasty arguing ... regardless of whether you eject or not, go to the coach.  Every parent on that team will report child endangerment if you so much as raise your voice at him.  I know.  It even happens in High School.

If it's a question ... keep your distance ... smile ... and answer him.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:15 PM, sd181612 said:

Here is a situation that I know you all will be able to help me with: 1 out runner on second. Batter hits a ball towards first base foul territory, ball is caught. Runner from second takes off without tagging, wild throw towards the SS covering 2B. Runner goes back, slides, base flies a few feet; runner is safe. There's this player on the defense who had already expressed discontent on a bang-bang play; he argues on this one as well. Question is, should I have ejected him. This is triple-AAA little league, about 9-11 years old.

I had a SS doing that in a u10 tournament I was helping out with. After a walk with the bases clean, as I'm running from A to B I could see him throwing his arms up and loudly questioning how that pitch was also a ball. I told him very sternly that if he wants to continue to play baseball that day that he needed to find a way to get his attitude in check.

Didnt hear from him the rest of the game.

On 10/29/2016 at 11:15 PM, sd181612 said:

Question is, should I have ejected him. This is triple-AAA little league, about 9-11 years old.

No. 

Talk to the coach first. 

On 10/30/2016 at 10:55 AM, LRZ said:

coach, if you want to keep that kid in the game, get him under control" or some such. 

THIS

5 hours ago, Thomas Mullaney said:

After a walk with the bases clean, as I'm running from A to B I could see him throwing his arms up and loudly questioning how that pitch was also a ball.

Pujols was ejected for precisely the same thing 6-7 years ago before he even left the box. He ran all the way to 1B when his 1BC had to break the news.

• Like 1

I removed the offending post.

And the topic is Player Arguing...let's get back to that or move on. Nothing to see here.

Talk to the coach.  My usual routine with kids this age is something like this:  "Skip, this kid's pushing the limit with his arguments/comments/attitude.  Why don't you put him on the bench for a couple innings (and let him know why) so I don't have to eject him."  Sometimes coaches will comply, others won't.  Those who don't get this next statement "Skip, you're the adult in the room.  I consider you responsible for the behavior of your players and coaches.  If I have any further problem with him, I'm going to have a problem with you as well."