WTB Extended Throat Protector

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2738 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 hours ago, Mister B said:

I just got that one. it's 6.25" top to tail. I'd prefer it to be 4" but we'll see how it works this weekend. 

not sure how an adult wears a 4" TG?  And yes, I know some pros wear one also but regardless, it's so short that it's typically in a position if hit to come back and have the end hit you in the throat ...meaning, it's too short.....it won't catch your CP when a ball hits it

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

not sure how an adult wears a 4" TG?  And yes, I know some pros wear one also but regardless, it's so short that it's typically in a position if hit to come back and have the end hit you in the throat ...meaning, it's too short.....it won't catch your CP when a ball hits it

I used to wear a 4" throat guard. the 6" was too long. The 4" would hit my chest protector, but not catch on it.

I think it all depends on where you attach it to the mask, how far the chest protector comes up and if you have a neck or not.

• Like 1

Just now, maineump said:

I used to wear a 4" throat guard. the 6" was too long. The 4" would hit my chest protector, but not catch on it.

I think it all depends on wear you attach it to the mask, and if you have a neck or not.

I guess so .....  it can depend

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I guess so .....  it can depend

I think It is personal preference just like all of the other pads we wear. As long as it protects I say wear what works for you. I currently only have one mask with an attached throat guard (mizuno), I found a mask that works very well without one (Rawlings).

• Like 1

Put on your chest protector and mask. Drop into your normal plate stance. Have someone take a picture of you from the side.

Now, if you see any gap, decide what, if any, throat protector would work best for you, and where to mount it.

I know plenty of no-neck guys who don't need one. There also some string beans, who lean far too forward, that even a three foot dangling protector wouldn't help.

Everybody's different. Some, more than others.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kylejt said:

Put on your chest protector and mask. Drop into your normal plate stance. Have someone take a picture of you from the side.

Now, if you see any gap, decide what, if any, throat protector would work best for you, and where to mount it.

I know plenty of no-neck guys who don't need one. There also some string beans, who lean far too forward, that even a three foot dangling protector wouldn't help.

Everybody's different. Some, more than others.

I've always loved the look of Jeff Nelson's custom rig. But always wondered if that would actually help.

My Honig's mask covers the gap when I'm in my stance, so any pitch or foul back is going to hit my gear before it hits me. The throat guard fits into the gap where the chin of the mask scoops forward. That way, hits off the plate won't fit under the mask. The only scenario that could cause an issue, is if I'm looking up. But that's fairly rare. If the ball's above my head, I'm usually watching F2 to stay out of his way and make sure he makes the catch. Or I'm watching a fielder make a catch. And if it's high and/or deep enough, I'm not wearing my mask anymore, and the throat guard isn't going to help. Unless somebody throws it at my left hip. 

I'm only 5'10", so I'm fairly upright in my stance. My CP is an old V-Sport (WV) and that, on top of my shoulders, rides pretty high. So my difficulty with a longer throat guard is that, if I turn my head, it gets tangled up in my CP.