Anyone have obstruction on F1 here?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2717 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

52 minutes ago, stkjock said:

only one foot hits the base... :D 

He was clearly out as the replay showed.  2 issues happened here on the mis-call.  1. no 'noise factor' (bang-bang) 2. 3 bodies converged at the same time.  AH's position (correctly) was marred by bodies, no doubt

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

He was clearly out as the replay showed.  2 issues happened here on the mis-call.  1. no 'noise factor' (bang-bang) 2. 3 bodies converged at the same time.  AH's position (correctly) was marred by bodies, no doubt

No doubt he was out, very clear, I was poking fun at Rich since the BR dove head first, only F3's foot contacted the base.

39 minutes ago, noumpere said:

No.

Nor NCAA (because it's the code that hasn't been asked about).

IF you think the BR slid / dove because of F1's position, then you could have OBS.  I don't see it that way.

I was thinking the same thing and agree that his slide was not because of where F1 was.  BR gave no indication at all that he was hindered by F1.

4 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Not sure AH knew which "foot" had the ball. 

Agreed.  I think that's why he missed it.  As easy as the call looked on replay, it's a very tough call since you have:

- 2 fielders in close proximity to each other, with a possible handoff of the ball
- The potential handoff happening very close to the base
- A BR doing a head-first slide into the base
- 2 fielders that are very close to stepping on the base at the same time, but only one touching before the BR

So with all this happening at once, what do you look at?  The ball?  The feet?  Add in that with 2 fielders near a runner, you have to be on the lookout for possible obstruction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

So with all this happening at once, what do you look at?  The ball?  The feet?  Add in that with 2 fielders near a runner, you have to be on the lookout for possible obstruction.

From a mechanics standpoint, this is a great question. Here's my answer. Obviously, all these steps happen in a fraction of a second and are broken out only for discussion.

1. We need a wide-ish view: if we're 6 feet from the base, we're not going to see everything in one image. The recommended 15–18 feet is essential to seeing everything here.
  2. Watch the base: the issue is what touches first.
  3. When we know what touches first — hand, foot, beard — we can look at that person and identify him as the BR, F1, F3.
  4. At that point, we can worry about the ball. Obviously, if the BR touches first, then we're done. If it's F1 or F3, we want to see the ball. We don't really care how he got it, nor do we need to see how he got it; the only concern is that he got it at or before the moment he touched the base.
  5. If there's OBS/INT near the moment of the touch/tag, we might need help! This is a corollary of having only 2 eyes, both focused on the same spot.
  • Like 2