Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JaxRolo

Opinions

Should an umpire who has heat exhaustion , dizzy, lightheaded, throwing up on the field be allowed to stay on the field?

This is a situation I had this weekend.

Partner had heat exhaustion. Throwing up on the field and getting ready to pass out.

I called the Site director over and told him he needed to replace my partner.

He starts telling me that I'm not in charge and berating me in front of the coaches. I told him if he's going to talk to me like that I was leaving.

I was trying to protect my partner.

They told him he had to finish the game.

Then after the game they kicked me out of the league. They don't care or respect umpires.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
2 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Should an umpire who has hear exhaustion , dizzy, lightheaded, throwing up on the field be allowed to stay on the field?

Partner had heat exhaustion. Throwing up on the field and getting ready to pass out.

He starts telling me that I'm not in charge and berating me in front of the coaches. I told him if he's going to talk to me like that I was leaving.

Then after the game they kicked me out of the league. They don't care or respect umpires.

any league, or tournament company that allows that crap to go on, you don't need to work for....period.  Nice job Rolando!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

While I disagree with this particular statement, I agree that your partner should have left the game.

17 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Where in the heck is common sense here?!?!  SO, worse case scenario this umpire dies,  who's liable?  seems to me that a certain site director would be in this case.

I had a similar situation with a partner who had just worked a double shift in a steel mill. He was behind the plate because we had a double header.  At one point he literally didn't say anything on a pitch down the middle until the catcher looked back and said "was that a ball or strike?"

The head coach for the one team was a former major leaguer(made a slide in '92 that broke every Pittsburgh Pirates fans hearts), and was smart enough to allow me to stop the game and get a cold towel on his neck, let him sit down for a minute and get water in him to get his body temp down.

After that he was fine and we made it through the game.

That is sick that a tournament would allow an official that is visually ill to remain on the field. What was their justification?

2 hours ago, GPblue said:

What was their justification?

They didn't have a replacement

47 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

They didn't have a replacement

And now next time they will be even more short because you (and, I hope, your partner) are not working for them anymore.

• Like 1

Same group I had problems with about 3 years ago when they were USSSA. They had no respect for Umpires. All about the money. Now they changed to PG Youth.

It's no better now. Sadly. Same people same habits.

Should they be allowed to stay on the field? No, it is a detriment to their health and as others have said the liability would likely rest on the site director if he refused to let the umpire off of the field. Of course I was of the problem a few weeks back. Here in NJ it was sweltering maybe a month ago and I had a 9 inning game that I was no well prepared for (hydration wise). Well around the 4th inning I started to feel the effects of the 98 degree/110 heat index weather. I was losing it fast. Headache, dizziness, felt like throwing up (I did after the game). My partner asked a few times if I wanted to come out and I maintained that it was a playoff game and I didn't need to come out (though I definitely did). Well I managed to get home and that's where I passed out. I went to the hospital and they got me right but they said I should have stopped when I felt dizzy and felt like throwing up. So my case is different than yours in that I needed someone to stop me from myself but there has to be more awareness of the dangers of heat exhaustion/heat stroke. I'll tell you what though if I felt that I physically could not continue because if I did my health would be in danger and the site director told me I had to stay I'd tell him what he could do and then never work in that league again. The clearly do not have your best interests in mind. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

Should an umpire who has heat exhaustion , dizzy, lightheaded, throwing up on the field be allowed to stay on the field?

Here's a lesson to learn: You aren't in charge in this particular situation. For you to issue directives to the site director is inappropriate and created an adversarial situation. They generally don't end well. If you had asked for him to come over, told him what you saw, and then stayed out of what is his authority, he may have been more receptive, and if not, it's entirely on him.

Here's a lesson to learn: You aren't in charge in this particular situation. For you to issue directives to the site director is inappropriate and created an adversarial situation. They generally don't end well. If you had asked for him to come over, told him what you saw, and then stayed out of what is his authority, he may have been more receptive, and if not, it's entirely on him.

I was not directing him in any way. But instead of thinking about the umpire first he starts on me. Idiot.

• Like 2

Just now, JaxRolo said:

I was not directing him in any way. But instead of thinking about the umpire first he starts on me. Idiot.

Yes, you were. Stop talking for once and start listening.

Another factor in this is that the same umpire had the same issues the day before.

So he was already weak and dehydrated from the day before.

29 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Another factor in this is that the same umpire had the same issues the day before.

So he was already weak and dehydrated from the day before.

Ok....you need to add to the situation, because it seems like there is a little loss in translation(since Matt said you were telling the site director what to do).  Did ANYONE else(Coaches, players, parents, scorekeepers, other umpires) at the game see what you saw?  And if they did, what was their reaction of him?

If this was a Perfect Game organized event, did you speak with their national coordinators about the situation?  It may for future events create a protocol for such circumstances.

And to Matt.  If we as umpires see a player in the same situation, and a coach refuses to take his player out, wouldn't the language be very similar as an umpire to the site director?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

I think Matt is reacting to this comment:

"I called the Site director over and told him he needed to replace my partner. "

The same way I did.

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

"I called the Site director over and told him he needed to replace my partner. "

The same way I did.

I am on the same page with you on this.  BUT! Medical situation, why didn't the site director slow down and address the situation instead of getting on the defense?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, you were. Stop talking for once and start listening.

Maybe Jaxrolo might have been more diplomatic. But we can't necessarily read into what was said ("I called the Site director over and told him he needed to replace my partner") a command or confrontational tone, rather than an blank statement of fact. Nonetheless, adversarial or not, if the umpire is in such obvious distress, the site director has to recognize that first, deal with it appropriately, and later address any perceived improprieties, not get his back up and order umpires around. By insisting on his authority, the SD put the health of Jaxrolo's partner at risk--and that is what is really unacceptable.

Since it was the same group you had troubles with before, Jaxrolo, maybe you should not have gone to that league and expose yourself to more of the same treatment.

The same way I did.

What you guys are missing is the tone I used. I was demanding or pushy.

It wasn't like YOU NEED TO TAKE HIM OUT NOW!

U1: I told him he needed to replace my partner.

SD: Why?

U1: He's suffering heat exhaustion, vomiting and is about to pass out.

SD, scenario #1: Don't tell me what to do! I'm in charge here, not you!

SD, scenario #2: OK, I'll take care of it. 

Why put the blame on Jaxrolo, rather than the SD?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Exactly.

And if I was demanding so what???? I was looking out for the health of my partner.

If any of you was the one having health issues I would hope that you would want someone helping you out.

Jaxrolo, maybe you should not have gone to that league and expose yourself to more of the same treatment.

Like I said it was like 3 years ago.

But you are right.

Same people same problems.

10 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Exactly.

And if I was demanding so what???? I was looking out for the health of my partner.

If any of you was the one having health issues I would hope that you would want someone helping you out.

You don't get to tell people what to do. That's what you're not getting. Tell them what you're seeing, but you don't get to demand things, even if they are the right thing.

19 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I didn't. I told him he could have approached it better.

• Like 1

You don't get to tell people what to do. That's what you're not getting. Tell them what you're seeing, but you don't get to demand things, even if they are the right thing.

I have a partner that could possibly die. That's not what you are seeing!

You bet your ass I will be demanding.

Just now, JaxRolo said:

I have a partner that could possibly die. That's not what you are seeing!

You bet your ass I will be demanding.

Really? Then why was your ass still on the field instead of calling 911?

Again, not your role to tell your boss what to do.