Debut behind the plate

sd181612
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2738 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Gals and guys, I hope you all are doing well. This is going to be my first season umpiring behind the plate and I was hoping you all could give me some tips. I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach at the thought of getting back there, but I've loved it since I was young. Thank you all.

If you are doing little league, never turn your back to the field unless you call time first. Learn to trust your gear and keep your chest to the ball, your mask and CP provide no protection to your side. And you will get hit. Make sure you wear a cup. Again, you will get hit. LL catchers are awful. Finally, ignore 90% of what the coaches say. Many of them just make up crap to mess with you. 

• Like 1

I learned a lot in my first season which was this year. 

Have a generous strike zone.

Don't call a ball foul until it truly is foul. 

Don't call a fair ball, just signal.

Watch the ball all the way to the mitt, take a second to decide ball or strike, then make your call. Slowww dowwwn! (What does a yellow light mean?)

This site is a huge help for umpires of all experience levels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sd181612 said:

Also, if you guys have any gear that you are willing to part with, and not that exclusive and expensive, please let me know!

Don't suck.  Remember to breathe.  When you get the hang of it you should love working the dish.  Take your time and process every pitch.  Stay down on your balls, meaning, when it's a ball stay down for so it looks different than a strike.  Nothing worse than a steeball.  Looks indecisive and like you have no idea. It is not boring like the bases are at times.  Something happens each and every pitch.  Enjoy yourself.

23 hours ago, umpstu said:

Don't suck.  Remember to breathe.  When you get the hang of it you should love working the dish.  Take your time and process every pitch.  Stay down on your balls, meaning, when it's a ball stay down for so it looks different than a strike.  Nothing worse than a steeball.  Looks indecisive and like you have no idea. It is not boring like the bases are at times.  Something happens each and every pitch.  Enjoy yourself.

oh my...... :rollinglaugh:

• Like 2

Got to echo my brothers in Blue.  SLOW DOWN!! TIMING.  Remember, we make our calls in our head, and then our signals let everyone know what our calls are.   What I have done to slow myself down is on a strike or ball I will say in my head "That's a ball" or "That's a strike" and then make my call.  

A great one I use that I got from this site, is to slowly exhale on the pitch.  That way, your body is fully relaxed and your eyes will do the tracking.  it also is easier to handle getting hit when you are loose than when you are tense.

Pet peeve(getting into little s#$T now).  Left hand mask/indicator, Right hand calls.  If you haven't done it yet, get comfortable at home in front of a mirror with your indicator in hand taking your mask off and on.  Getting comfortable with your thumb, index, middle fingers grasping while you palm your indicator is key.  The last thing you want is your mask flying away and interfering with a play.

Speaking of mirrors, don't be afraid to practice making your calls in front of a mirror.  On an evaluation, I was told I was flying away on my safe calls.  Keep em shoulder height.  I didn't believe him till I took the time to get in front of a mirror and adjust myself(my wife still makes fun of me for selling invisible plays at the plate).

HUSTLE! since you are the UIC, the Catcher and Pitcher will dictate their pace of play based on you.

PUT THE BALL IN PLAY! If you have leading off in the level you are doing, the last thing you want is a pick off when you didn't put the ball in play, and your partner gives a nice "wacker" and the offensive coach comes out "the ball's not in play"

HAVE FUN! It's baseball for gosh sakes, not brain surgery.

25 minutes ago, sd181612 said:

Thank you all for the helpful tips and advice. First game is Saturday. I'll try to let you know how it all went. Thanks once again. Also, what do you guys do in a 1 umpire system when there's a runner stealing second?

Watch the pitch.

Move out from behind the batter -- usually to your let.  Be sure the batter's swing doesn't hit you.

Call the pitch as you are moving.

Stop.

Use your best judgment on the call at second.

Look -- even with two umpires, you will have an opinion on the call at second that matches your partner's call 99% of the time.  Just make that call.

• Like 1

As many have stated, slow down. Don't rush your call. Count to 2 or 3. Replay it in your mind. Live with your calls. Don't try to even out a bad call. We all make bad calls. Learn from them. Watch the ball all the way to catcher's mitt.

7 minutes ago, yoitsrc said:

There is no such thing as an one umpire system. You are a chicken running around like your head has been cut off. The best advice stay chest to ball and head on a swivel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When it's just you, make sure you're ready to call a potential play at the plate. Hustle and keep ahead of your runner if it's just him. You can't cover everything, but if you're hustling no one will argue with you.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2016 at 2:27 PM, sd181612 said:

Thank you all for the helpful tips and advice. First game is Saturday. I'll try to let you know how it all went. Thanks once again. Also, what do you guys do in a 1 umpire system when there's a runner stealing second?

well the weekend is over....how'd you do?

5 minutes ago, sd181612 said:

Well, I was supposed to have an assignment over the weekend but they told me when I got to the field I was notified that I had to be 18 to ump the plate, kind of killed my excitement but I love umpiring and hopefully I'll get to do the plate before I turn 18.

To quote my teenage daughter, "that's stupid."  

• Like 3

If you were here, we'd get you behind the plate. Check with any Little Leagues. I can't imagine they'd turn away Fall Ball umpires. 

We've got a couple 12 year olds that will work the bases for a couple games then they'll move behind the plate for a couple innings of minors games (10u) 

• Like 1