Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Thunderheads

Force3 Defender doesn't help here....

22 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

understood.... but 8 stitches isn't a 'cut' ....  I agree it's better than a concussion no doubt, but ...why the gash?

That is rather curious....the ball obviously didn't cause it, since it clearly didn't get under the mask. Did the springs bottom out or the frame somehow hit his chin? That would be concerning. Was it a rock or some other debris? Doesn't seem likely but I guess it's possible. Or is it that the covering is so abrasive to him that the movement caused it? Perhaps the most likely scenario - but man, weird...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scrounge said:

That is rather curious....the ball obviously didn't cause it, since it clearly didn't get under the mask. Did the springs bottom out or the frame somehow hit his chin? That would be concerning. Was it a rock or some other debris? Doesn't seem likely but I guess it's possible. Or is it that the covering is so abrasive to him that the movement caused it? Perhaps the most likely scenario - but man, weird...

Honestly ...that's why I posted it ...I thought it was curious as well

rock or debris COULD be a source but ...not twice in 2 months ......

Boxers and MMA fighters get "compression ruptures" often, primarily above the eyes, at the cheekbones (used by Hollywood quite often, see Raging Bull, Rocky or Warrior) and on occasion on the chin when the skin there is taut. The force rebounds off the underlying bone and the skin splits, "blowing" outward. Usually, it looks like a slash wound, caused by a blade, but furls a bit, indicative of a rift (where there is an upheaval force from beneath). 

The foul-off that cut Kurt impacted right at the "wicket" (the upside-down U covering the mouth). I will not speak ill of the Defender V2, but the spring assembly is located, centerline, just below the wicket. Maybe the mask bottomed-out and Kurt had his jaw set and jutted out at the time of impact – who knows? I leave the injury repair and guesswork to my surgeon brother. But, if they're claiming it to be a gash, I'd be looking at the backside of that spring assembly.

On that note, the number of stitches doesn't necessarily imply cut or wound length. A few years ago, I got slashed on the knee by a razor-sharp snowboard edge, and while the wound length was minimal, because it was on the knee, the wound required 14 stitches to hold it closed.

@scrounge and @gnhbua93 are right, though... a shot like that on a standard mask is a home-stand / road-trip ender. I'm not claiming the speeds are the same (maybe they were, it was an MSBL game), but that sort of "pitch redirect" foul-off is what ended my Nike Steel. Caved in the primary horizontal bar and cracked the weld at the wicket. Oh, and can someone please educate Rhett Bollinger on what a "foul tip" is not???!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scrounge said:

The commentators mentioned he has Moleskin padding on the inside of his mask, and that's almost suede-like in its abrasion capability. I could easily see that just being a giant "Moleskin burn."

Sorry this is an old thread...but I think I have something I can add to the conversation. I have a Force3 mask (v1) and sometimes I get the spring at the bottom (or the spring support structure) impacting my lower chin. I think I may not be wearing the mask low enough on my face. If you look carefully at the padding down near the bottom, it is very thin just below the main chin pad, and it is only that thin part that protects your lower chin if you don't pull the mask down so your chin rests in the thick pad. I know, I think when I get hurt I am not wearing it correctly. But pulling the mask down that far seems to limit my vision through the eye opening (the upper range is my vision is partially blocked by the horizontal bar at the top of the eye opening).

Anyone else with Force3 mask notice this?

13 hours ago, JHSump said:

Sorry this is an old thread...but I think I have something I can add to the conversation. I have a Force3 mask (v1) and sometimes I get the spring at the bottom (or the spring support structure) impacting my lower chin. I think I may not be wearing the mask low enough on my face. If you look carefully at the padding down near the bottom, it is very thin just below the main chin pad, and it is only that thin part that protects your lower chin if you don't pull the mask down so your chin rests in the thick pad. I know, I think when I get hurt I am not wearing it correctly. But pulling the mask down that far seems to limit my vision through the eye opening (the upper range is my vision is partially blocked by the horizontal bar at the top of the eye opening).

Anyone else with Force3 mask notice this?

There is a video on YouTube by a guy named Scooter Morrison about adjusting the top pad, which would open the viewing area of the F3 (both versions).

Sorry to keep this alive, but just wanted to mention that number of stitches doesn't mean much. More stitches leaves less of a scar. I had a 7" cut after surgery on my achilles and only 8 stitches holding it closed. The doctor said I was too old to worry about glamorous ankles. 

Having the springs is a good concept, I just don’t think the construction is well thought out with being held into place with screws and brackets like that. God forbid a screw or spring pops out and heads straight for an eye.

Like a lot of things in the quest for better technology, you may solve one problem, but it could create a new one. Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Having the springs is a good concept, I just don’t think the construction is well thought out with being held into place with screws and brackets like that. God forbid a screw or spring pops out and heads straight for an eye.
Like a lot of things in the quest for better technology, you may solve one problem, but it could create a new one. Just my 2 cents, anyway.
Pretty sure they would have thought of that. I don't think they would release a product that had safety issues like that. If there were those issues, we would have had heard by now. I know they put Loctite on the screws because I asked them about that before I bought my mask from them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think they're getting closer with the v2. I like the concept, but, like the v1, I think there's still room from improvement.