get out those calculators

dumbdumb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2684 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Alabama is instituting pitch count this upcoming season as well. Umpires have nothing to do with it. Host school is responsible for furnishing an individual to keep pitch counts (including both head coaches). They are supposed to get together between every inning to confirm count. Then all pitching data is put into an online portal after game. If a coach has any issues, he is told to report it to the state.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, udbrky said:

This is on the coach, right?

Let's let those in the know (I am not) help us more.

But, it says "head Coach", as opposed to assistant coach or pitching coach or hitting coach if there are schools that can afford an entourage.

It also says every half inning umpires and head coach will get together for the total. Imagine if the VC and HC numbers do not match and they get into a heated argument and start calling and slinging around those words that George Carlin use to say you could not say on TV. Good luck as the umpire ruling which coach has the correct count. Cripes, even trying our hardest, some umpires unintentionally lose the count. And umpires losing the count can happen even where the BU is keeping the count. Nothing says the backup guy (BU) is correct either and they could even both be wrong.

So, both coaches on a dispute about the pitch count could be unintentionally wrong, or intentionally (if they are a unsavory character) wrong as the case may be.

Good luck with this rule. And their could be major arguments over just 1 lousy pitch for the over under score and 1 day, 2 day, 3 day rest requirement.

Where are Andrews and Jobe with those pitch count indicators as an invention, since this will cut down on their Tommy John Surgery's (to be fair, one or the other recommended the LL pitch counts that are now enforced) and therefor cut their incomes.

Wow. I wonder how accurate that story is. Last thing we need to do is be worrying about pitch counts. That's on the coaches. The coaches are the one's who should be confirmingnumber of pitches after each inning.

I can see it now at the end of a half inning:

Coach:  Steve, we've got 17 pitches for Johnny last inning.

Me:  Got it Larry.

Coach:  Thanks, and can you work on that horseSH*# strike zone?

• Like 1

I can see it now at the end of a half inning:

Coach:  Steve, we've got 17 pitches for Johnny last inning.

Me:  Got it Larry.

Coach:  Thanks, and can you work on that horseSH*# strike zone?

Haha glad we are avoiding that in Bama. We were told not to worry about it as umpires... Seriously. The exact words from our head guy was "Nothing is changing for the umpires!"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, udbrky said:

This is on the coach, right?

The NFHS has mandated that each state come up with "pitch count" rules.  So, there will be (about -- some states don't use FED rules; some non-states might) 50 different versions of this rule and who counts / certifies / reports the numbers.  The umpire / coach *might* be involved in all those steps or in none

Colorado does this the best, IMHO.  They have had a pitching limit (based on pitches thrown rather than innings pitched) for a couple of years.  Each team is required to keep the pitch count on software (they have an I-pad or some similar device) in the dugout.  The software is like MLB's "gameday" at MLB.com.  (Meaning they enter more than just the pitch count and grandma and grandpa across the country can "tune-in" and follow along on their computer as their grandchild's high school game is being played.)

According to the company, the fact that grandma and grandpa across the country can "watch" the game on the company's website ensures that all schools willingly keep track of the game (including pitch count) during the game on a computer/I-pad.  Plus, it costs the schools nothing.  (The company makes their money from ads on the website.) 

Since both teams do it (so that their fans who can't make the game can "watch" it on the web), both teams end up keeping the pitch count for both teams.  The software company automatically collects the pitch count data, and the assistant commissioner for baseball gets a pitch count report every morning sent to him from the software company.  If their are any discrepancies between the two schools, they are rectified that day.  If there are any violations of the pitch count rule, the state is aware of it immediately (without some other team having to file a complaint) and the state can issue a rule to show cause to the violating school why penalties should not be immediately levied.

No system is perfect.  But, this is the best one I've heard.  I have strongly suggested it to my home state, but I don't know what they will do, yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lawump said:

Colorado does this the best, IMHO.  They have had a pitching limit (based on pitches thrown rather than innings pitched) for a couple of years.  Each team is required to keep the pitch count on software (they have an I-pad or some similar device) in the dugout.  The software is like MLB's "gameday" at MLB.com.  (Meaning they enter more than just the pitch count and grandma and grandpa across the country can "tune-in" and follow along on their computer as their grandchild's high school game is being played.)

According to the company, the fact that grandma and grandpa across the country can "watch" the game on the company's website ensures that all schools willingly keep track of the game (including pitch count) during the game on a computer/I-pad.  Plus, it costs the schools nothing.  (The company makes their money from ads on the website.) 

Since both teams do it (so that their fans who can't make the game can "watch" it on the web), both teams end up keeping the pitch count for both teams.  The software company automatically collects the pitch count data, and the assistant commissioner for baseball gets a pitch count report every morning sent to him from the software company.  If their are any discrepancies between the two schools, they are rectified that day.  If there are any violations of the pitch count rule, the state is aware of it immediately (without some other team having to file a complaint) and the state can issue a rule to show cause to the violating school why penalties should not be immediately levied.

No system is perfect.  But, this is the best one I've heard.  I have strongly suggested it to my home state, but I don't know what they will do, yet.

Do they use Game Changer?

GameChanger and iScore are the 2 big ones. GC makes their money charging fans to gain access. iScore does as well, but it's less money. iScore makes money by selling MLB lineups so you can keep score but not have to enter the lineups every time. IIRC, iScore is owned by SI.

• 2 weeks later...

As if a solo umpire working a JV or below games does not have enough other things to worry about... so now we get to meet with the offensive coach about his just off the field F1 to obtain a count in addition to the defensive coach trying to get me his changes all while making sure the F1 does not exceed his 5 prep pitches... oh yeah and the minute or two available for a quick drink and a moment to take a deep breath.

How many times does a JV team not have anyone but the coach and some kid in the dugout keeping score? So in reality the HC is reporting what a kid not playing in the game says is the pitch count for the past inning.

Ugg... 

29 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

As if a solo umpire working a JV or below games does not have enough other things to worry about... so now we get to meet with the offensive coach about his just off the field F1 to obtain a count in addition to the defensive coach trying to get me his changes all while making sure the F1 does not exceed his 5 prep pitches... oh yeah and the minute or two available for a quick drink and a moment to take a deep breath.

How many times does a JV team not have anyone but the coach and some kid in the dugout keeping score? So in reality the HC is reporting what a kid not playing in the game says is the pitch count for the past inning.

Ugg... 

Is it the requirement in CAL that the umpireget this information?  And that he do it right as the pitcher is leavign the game?

No idea as of yet. The story quoted at the beginning was form the LA Times and referenced CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) so I am guessing this will be pushed out to our groups this spring.

46 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

No idea as of yet. The story quoted at the beginning was form the LA Times and referenced CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) so I am guessing this will be pushed out to our groups this spring.

According to my sources, the article was accurate with respect to the proposed procedure for tracking pitch counts.  It doesn't mean that it will get approved as is, and I hope they figure out a way to keep us out of it.  I believe they will vote on it in October.

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2016 at 10:30 AM, grayhawk said:

According to my sources, the article was accurate with respect to the proposed procedure for tracking pitch counts.  It doesn't mean that it will get approved as is, and I hope they figure out a way to keep us out of it.  I believe they will vote on it in October.

@grayhawk do you know what the determination was for our merry little corner of the HS baseball world?

On 12/9/2016 at 8:37 PM, WildFlyer said:

Half of our Association (the better half) will quit if we are in any way responsible for keeping pitch counts.

I can't even imagine logging it.  As soon as the two sides don't agree, how do I log it?

They won't quit.

8 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

@grayhawk do you know what the determination was for our merry little corner of the HS baseball world?

The recommendation is that umpires won't be involved.  Each side is supposed to track the pitch counts.  Coaches and scorekeepers are supposed to get together each half inning to verify the count.  In the event of a discrepancy, the home book rules.  The Executive Council for CIF votes on it in January.