Clueless Anouncers? Check this out...

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2668 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Two Words: Tim MçCarver.

A few years before he retired, he didn't know that if a pitch hits the ground before it hits the batter, the batter is still awarded 1B and the ball is still dead.  He argued this point with Joe Buck ... who is equally ignorant, but never played.

So ... I guess that's four words.  Long time FOX World Series duo:  Tim MçCarver, Joe Buck.

"Foul tip back to the screen!"  ~~ Joe Buck (43,842 times)

22 minutes ago, WildFlyer said:

A few years before he retired, he didn't know that if a pitch hits the ground before it hits the batter, the batter is still awarded 1B and the ball is still dead.  He argued this point with Joe Buck ... who is equally ignorant, but never played.

So ... I guess that's four words.  Long time Word Series due:  Tim MçCarver, Joe Buck.

I've known umpires who didn't know the rule about a pitch hitting the ground. Collge umpires.  

13 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I've known umpires who didn't know the rule about a pitch hitting the ground. College umpires.  

Yeah ... and that's sad.  But I would have thought MçCarver ... as a catcher ... announcer ... and long time Major Leaguer would have known that rule.

I never understood why announcers, especially local MLB broadcasters, where 9 times out of 10 this is their only sport, don't use the proper terminology and rules during a game.  Most color guys have one job, and that is to be the "Expert".  They have a copy of OBR in their booth,  OPEN IT!  As someone who worked in radio and did play by play for multiple sports, I felt like a moron if I used incorrect terminology on a play/ruling.  If I was corrected, I made sure on my next broadcast it wouldn't happen again.  The only thing I can think of is that the producers feel that certain situations a lay fan would either say or think in the same way. So they want the audience to be on the same level as the announcers?

Another great example of a great thing that producers nixed.....the Pirates local broadcast had an MLB umpire(don't remember who it was) come in and do pre-recorded segments about certain "common misconceptions about the game" and to discuss rules and things that everyone sees in a game to better explain it to the fan.  The first and ONLY segment I saw was the rule interpretation of a "Check swing"  He went over the rule and explained about "judgement of making an attempt at the pitch" Of course, that flew right in the face of all the replays of where the bat went and how far across the plate it went for the color commentators to second guess the umpires.

5 hours ago, WildFlyer said:

So ... I guess that's four words.  Long time FOX World Series duo:  Tim MçCarver, Joe Buck.

In defense of Joe Buck (he is from St Louis after all :D) and other announcers who describe a foul ball in that manner.  I think in that situation they are trying to paint a picture for the radio audience and "Foul tip back to the screen!" paints a picture of it going hard and straight back as opposed to a lazy pop up going back to the screen.  Not technically accurate but it does give a pretty good description for the "non educated".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stl_ump said:

In defense of Joe Buck (he is from St Louis after all :D) and other announcers who describe a foul ball in that manner.  I think in that situation they are trying to paint a picture for the radio audience and "Foul tip back to the screen!" paints a picture of it going hard and straight back as opposed to a lazy pop up going back to the screen.  Not technically accurate but it does give a pretty good description for the "non educated".

When was the last time Joe Buck was on the radio???? I think the television audience can SEE how the foul ball happened.

3 hours ago, GPblue said:

When was the last time Joe Buck was on the radio???? I think the television audience can SEE how the foul ball happened.

Reminds me of thinking during amateur games whether the announcer realized he was announcing to everyone in the stands who could see what was happening and there was a scoreboard and he was not broadcasting to a radio audience. Instead of announcing a batter with his position and at bat results they would just name him and then reiterate every ball and strike that the PU would call. Plus reiterate what everyone could see.

Speaking of amateur games, it goes the other way, too.

A few years ago, I was listening to a radio broadcast of a local high school football game, as I was driving to the game. Here was the play call I remember: "Handoff up the middle. WHOA! Did you see that? That was amazing!"

No. No, I couldn't see that, because it's radio. I wasn't sure if he scored or was tackled for a loss or ...?

5 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Speaking of amateur games, it goes the other way, too.

A few years ago, I was listening to a radio broadcast of a local high school football game, as I was driving to the game. Here was the play call I remember: "Handoff up the middle. WHOA! Did you see that? That was amazing!"

No. No, I couldn't see that, because it's radio. I wasn't sure if he scored or was tackled for a loss or ...?

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have had to endure John Sterling on the radio tell me"You'll never see a better catch than that".

Sunday night Aaron Boone told the world a runner can't leave a base to tag up until the fielder has secure possession of the ball. His colleagues agreed whole hardheartedly. Someone got to them in between innings, and Boone corrected himself and said runners can leave as soon as the ball touches the fielder's glove. His colleagues agree and say "of course they can" :bang:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Sunday night Aaron Boone told the world a runner can't leave a base to tag up until the fielder has secure possession of the ball. His colleagues agreed whole hardheartedly. Someone got to them in between innings, and Boone corrected himself and said runners can leave as soon as the ball touches the fielder's glove. His colleagues agree and say "of course they can" :bang:

Same play that the Astros appealed twice on?

The Astros-Cubs game on Fox was worse. They said "Cybermetrics" and said the Cubs are only 26-22 vs winning teams and that finishing with the best record doesn't always work out and cited several teams that did and didn't win the WS.

:blink:

Last night, I watched the game without sound and it was so much better. I hate nationally televised games.

21 minutes ago, Richvee said:

yep. That's the play.  I missed what Shullman was saying about the proper way to appeal, but I imagine he had that wrong too.

He was saying you had to get on the rubber, come set, and step off. :bang:

They did this for both appeals.

52 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

He was saying you had to get on the rubber, come set, and step off. :bang:

They did this for both appeals.

You do have step off after you come set if MLB never put the word out that you don't. They watched Cliff Lee get balked for not doing that a year or two ago. If MLB never acknowledged that Davidson, I think, kicked it that would be the safest way to do it if you take the rubber and come set.

18 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

You do have step off after you come set if MLB never put the word out that you don't. They watched Cliff Lee get balked for not doing that a year or two ago. If MLB never acknowledged that Davidson, I think, kicked it that would be the safest way to do it if you take the rubber and come set.

You can step and throw to a base to make an appeal. Or, as soon as the ball is put back in play, step off. No need to come set at all.