MLB Ejection 153 - Jim Joyce (1; AJ Hinch)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2757 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Jim Joyce ejected Astros Manager AJ Hinch for arguing a ball (foul no-call) and wild-pitch call in the bottom of the 3rd inning of the Astros-Indians game. With two out and the bases loaded, Indians batter Lonnie Chisenhall attempted to check his swing on a 2-2 curveball from Indians...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I don't understand why this isn't reviewable. Now, of course the standard should be high, but this one is pretty indisputable. If called foul, then absolutely shouldn't be reviewable - there's no way of knowing what would have happened and that would be a morass. But if not called foul and it clearly is? That's easy to fix.

2 hours ago, scrounge said:

I don't understand why this isn't reviewable. Now, of course the standard should be high, but this one is pretty indisputable. If called foul, then absolutely shouldn't be reviewable - there's no way of knowing what would have happened and that would be a morass. But if not called foul and it clearly is? That's easy to fix.

Totally agree! When it's obvious on replay and the four guys on the field can't see it, why not get help? Hopefully they add this to the list of reviewable plays.

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

The way Joyce handles the aftermath is amazing, really!  

There are, of course, rule-oriented lessons to be learned from these videos, but what I generally find most informative and helpful is how MLB and MiLB umpires deal so calmly with angry players, coaches and managers. Even when they don't or can't defuse the situation promptly, they never (or, rarely) contribute to its escalation.

18 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Seemed like Jim kept talking after manager was trying to leave. Let him go.

Ok fine, but look at the reaction of Hinch ... it was almost welcomed what Joyce had to say, because when he was done it was an "ok" ...and Hinch walked away.

Now, if Hinch had come unglued with what Joyce said....then I'd agree w/ you