"Over 60 Physical Signals"

Radie 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2714 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just now, kylehutson said:

I've seen both a swipe down the arm (elbow toward wrist) and a swipe down the belly (like you're wiping something off your shirt).

Thanks.  I'm not be facetious; I've never seen it or used it.

48 minutes ago, Forest Ump said:

It bothers me when I hear other umpires regard those who may use a certain signal as being inferior. Yes I agree, the wipe off is not needed once you have signaled your other intentions with two outs  However it is a useful signal and is just another form of communication that we as umpires use. I've seen all kinds of signals used by AAA guys all the way down that I thought were kind of odd but when it comes down to it, it's about communication on the field. Nothing wrong with the wipe of signal.

As a noob, I would agree. Communication is key. Some signals may seem superfluous, but if it helps prevent a screwup on the field, it's worth it.  

That there was an infield fly situation; now there isn't.  Ex.  Bases loaded, 1 out.  Give the "one out infield fly signal" (or multiple signals if you must to indicate 1 out; infield fly; I'm staying home)  Wild pitch.  Now R2, R3, 1 out.  You can either give the new "1 out, I'm staying home" signal(s), or just wipe the infield fly, or both (I guess).  Whatever is needed to communicate

And, on the signals, I do tend to see too many people giving too many signals -- "two outs, time play, I'm staying home" can all be given with one signal -- it doesn't need three separate movements.

9 hours ago, noumpere said:

And, on the signals, I do tend to see too many people giving too many signals -- "two outs, time play, I'm staying home" can all be given with one signal -- it doesn't need three separate movements.

I agree.  Same thing on regular rotation signals.  No need to flash the outs and then point down to third.  Just point to third while indicating the number of outs with your hand at the same time.

• Like 1

A new one my President of my summer chapter has been giving(not sure where he got it, and seems unnecessary), while in the field,  he will give the "Hang Ten" behind his head with runner on second less than two outs moving it from 2nd base to 3rd letting me know he has that runner to third.  Makes no sense to me why he does it when I am telling him I am staying home and he has the rest of the bases.

I have never used the wipe-off signal, because when the signal would be used, there would be a new signal because of the change in situation. I think this came from guys that played the game. The offensive play caller always has a wipe-off, in case he screws up or they may keep the play on until the wipe off. As an umpire we signal on a change in situation (ie: a new batter or runners move up on a pass ball or WP)

The time play with 1 out, I have never seen used. Two outs all of the time. Basically this is a reminder for the plate guy. The plate guy needs to line up the possible time play, the call generally isn't made by the base ump(s). I also see the time play signal used way too much - usually when there are runners at 1st & 3rd. How many times do we see that play develop in to a time play? I have seen the time play put on (at college levels) with a runner on 1B only, 3-2 count with 2 outs. Basically the plate guy points he is staying home on the play and I have seen the time signal used at the same time. A shot to the gap with quick runners, with R1 moving on the pitch can make things exciting.

Just my .02.

1 hour ago, GPblue said:

A new one my President of my summer chapter has been giving(not sure where he got it, and seems unnecessary), while in the field,  he will give the "Hang Ten" behind his head with runner on second less than two outs moving it from 2nd base to 3rd letting me know he has that runner to third.  Makes no sense to me why he does it when I am telling him I am staying home and he has the rest of the bases.

The hang ten thing? That is a showboat thing IMO. The signal for that is basically the hand slides behind the back. The reason for giving it could be letting you know that he knows you are staying home and he has the infield. He could also just point to the ground to echo your signal (even more subtle).

6 minutes ago, maineump said:

I also see the time play signal used way too much - usually when there are runners at 1st & 3rd. How many times do we see that play develop in to a time play? I have seen the time play put on (at college levels) with a runner on 1B only, 3-2 count with 2 outs. Basically the plate guy points he is staying home on the play and I have seen the time signal used at the same time. A shot to the gap with quick runners, with R1 moving on the pitch can make things exciting.

Just my .02.

Frequently.  At least in the realm of already-relatively-infrequent plays.

Some crews (and maybe even some mechanics manuals -- I forget whether it's "current" now) automatically treat a 2-out, 3-2 count *as if* the runners had already advancesd a base.  So, in this play, it's treated the same as R2, 2 outs -- so, yes, a time play and appropriate rotations are in order.

5 minutes ago, maineump said:

The hang ten thing? That is a showboat thing IMO. The signal for that is basically the hand slides behind the back. The reason for giving it could be letting you know that he knows you are staying home and he has the infield. He could also just point to the ground to echo your signal (even more subtle).

that's the mechanic I use, and most college guys I work with around here as well.  I also have a summer guy I worked a high level tournament with this past weekend that shouted "I'll be at third partner" with runner on 2nd in the field. Needless to say both catchers in the game looked at me as in "What's this guy's deal" because he was over umpiring all game.  First guy I ever worked with that shouted signals to me.

• 1 month later...

This thread says one of three things:

1. I am so old and outdated I have no idea how to umpire.

2. Some people are so bored or inattentive they need their hand held.

3. My biases are showing

When I went to Harry's back in the stone age, it was expected that the use of signals would be 'as little as possible'. Seriously, how many signals do we need, and how often do we have to give them? Even in NCAA-level baseball, especially in a 2-man, how many times do you really need to make a signal? In three man, how often to do you need to, unless you are working with unfamiliar partners or different rotations, or maybe if you are in a packed house stadium and verbal communication isn't always possible? 

We have R2, R1, one out. Are we seriously saying that we need to give the INF and rotation signal every time it happens? Or are we so out of touch with the game we need reminded? If we are in 3 man, have R1 and a ball in the gap isn't just a vocal "I'm at 3rd Joe" enough from the PU, or do we really have have to give a rotation signal every time a situation changes? Do we really have too many umpires who can't pause, read, and react to a play appropriately these days and need their hands held? 

There were also times where PU's would have five dozen signals in a game, including "Jk, if I come to you on check swing and my palm is down that means he didn't swing. If it's up give me what you got." Really? I know there were a few angry plate guys when I rang up strikes on check swings they didn't want called.

IMO, signals should be simple and only used once in a while. If you are a PU, do your job, hustle and use your voice. Then the crew does not need that many signals.

• Like 1

When I went to Jim Evans in 2010 and then again in 2012, there was only only two communication signals that we were taught...

1. Infield fly which was a very low key index finger too the right side of hat brim for BU and right side of mask ear extension for PU.

2. Two out time play, which was the number two communication and point to to the ground.

We got yelled at if someone gave the non verbal communication for the first to third signal. All other signals showed you that you were unfocused and did not pay attention to the situations. I have been trained and I do not do that many signals to my partners because I read and react. It has been countless times that my partners tell me that they will be at third "non verbal communication" and I end up making a call at third anyway because they fell asleep at home or waited for R3 to touch and by the time he has touched R1 is already half way to third and the relay has already started to third.

That's my $ 0.02 on over communications.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hmm. One of the guys I worked with this fall went to pro school. His IFF signal to me in a men's league was to grab his wedding tackle and smile at me.

Are you saying that is wrong?

Edited by udbrky
tongue in cheek, I'm a huge Cubs fan and drank a bit tonight!
  • Like 1