"Over 60 Physical Signals"

Radie 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2714 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Came across an interesting article on an Umpiring FB page: Hey, ump! Why'd you eject that player or manager? 

It's an interesting piece with former MLB ump Jim Evans. The entire thing is pretty great but one part in particular caught my eye:

“We’re trained at the beginning to use our diaphragm and not just our larynx or voice box,” he said, noting that, in addition to verbal calls, umpires can use more than 60 physical signals.

Does anyone want to assist in listing every possible physical signal? (I'm guessing that "pointing" will cover several of these)

I'll update the post with any answers and kick it off with the basics:

1) Safe

2) Out

3) Foul Tip

4) Foul Ball

5) Fair Ball

6) Home Run

7) ...

8) ...

Time out, play, infield fly, yes he went (point), did he go (another point), that's obstruction (even more pointing), awarding bases (we sure do point a lot don't we lol). That's a few right there but I'll let others answer too.

GTFO

Rotation

I'm staying home

Rotate on fly ball

my ball

Your ball

Up above someone had infield fly -- but it's both "situation" and "actual play"

Wipe off the infield fly

Don't come out

protest

wave in the pitcher

straight sub

double switch

All the counts

All the outs

I need water

They need water

More baseballs, please

MILF to the right

MILF to the left

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

GTFO

Rotation

I'm staying home

Rotate on fly ball

my ball

Your ball

Up above someone had infield fly -- but it's both "situation" and "actual play"

Wipe off the infield fly

Don't come out

protest

wave in the pitcher

straight sub

double switch

All the counts

All the outs

I need water

They need water

More baseballs, please

MILF to the right

MILF to the left

There is no such thing as a "wipe off infield fly" signal. It is a made up signal for small ball umpires.

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎06 at 10:48 AM, UMP45 said:

There is no such thing as a "wipe off infield fly" signal. It is a made up signal for small ball umpires.

All signals are made up.  Do you think this is objectively a bad idea, or just an indicator of a low-level umpire? 

I decided to finish my day by trying for 60.  It took me about 20 minutes (assuming you agree with me that all of the signals below are legitimate umpire signals).

1.  Called strike

2.  Called strike three

3.  Swinging strike three

4.  Ejection

5.  Out

6.  "Whacker" out

7.  Safe

8.  Time/Foul (hands out and up over head with palms facing away from body)

9.  Foul (point)

10.  Fair (point)

11.  Obstruction (point at infraction)

12.  Interference by fielder (point at interference say, "that's interference," then give "time" signal)

13.  Award of bases (Example: point at runner and point at base while saying, "you, second base!"

14.  Home Run

15.  2-base award (a/k/a "Ground Rule" double)

16.  Fan Interference

17.  Drop of ball by fielder on tag attempt (point at ball on ground (or point to ground) while saying, "you dropped the ball!"

18.  Pulled foot (on force play attempt) (sweep of arms)

19.  Bobbling of the ball (on force play attempt)

20.  Foul Tip

21. Hit batter (when need to sell call...point to corresponding part on umpire's body to sell call and then point to first base)

22.  Coach's interference (point at coach while yelling, "that's interference!")

23.  Batter's interference (point at batter while yelling, "that's interference!")

24.  Catcher's interference/obstruction (point at catcher while yelling, "that interference/obstruction!")

25.  Time called by catcher (after signaling time, point to catcher to indicate to defensive team that you are not granting the batter a very late time-out request).

26.  Infield Fly (point over head while yelling, "infield fly, batter's out!")

27.  Tag attempt successful (point at the location of the tag attempt while saying, "on the tag! on the tag!  He's out!)

28.  Waive to the press box for substitution

29.  Point to field location to indicate substitute

30.  "Straight up" signal to press box when multiple substitutes enter game on defense and all are remaining in the same spot in the batting order as the person who was playing the same defensive position.

31.  "Switch" signal to press box when multiple substitutes enter game on defense and they are going into a different spot in the batting order than the spot the person who played the same position on defense previously held.

32.  No mound visit (make a fist, hold arm completely outstretched and parallel to the ground, aim it at the offensive team head coach and turn it fist back and forth while saying "no visit".  (Used when a coach makes a trip to the mound to check on an injured player).

33.  Protest

34.  Balk (point at pitcher while yelling, "that's a balk!")

35.  No-step balk (point at own leg while saying "no step" to dugout). 

36.  Last warm-up pitch (used in MLB by home plate umpire after the base umpire who has watch gives the plate umpire the warning that the TV timeout is about to end)  Hold right arm with index finger extended over head.

37.  Replay challenge (bring both hands up and cover ears)  Used by an MLB umpire who is having a "discussion" with a manager to notify his crew chief that the manger wishes to challenge.

38.  Giving of the Count

39.  Do Not Pitch

40.  Pitch (point at pitcher while saying, "play"!)

41.  Signal for new pitcher from bullpen

42.  Baseballs, please  (hold up number of baseballs needed to ball boy/bat boy)

43.  Running Lane Violation (giant sweep of both arms)  Used by some MLB umpires to indicate that the batter-runner was called out for being outside the running lane and interfering.

44.  "We need to talk next half inning"

45.  "Great call" (subtle banging of fist against thigh/hip so partner can see)...some umpires do not like this one

46.  Stop (usually given to a coach/manager to indicate that he cannot leave the dugout...or as part a verbal warning to stop arguing)

47.  Pitcher went to his mouth illegally (wipe fingers in front of mouth, turn to press box and give new count (with a ball added))

48.  Plate umpire calls strike on check swing (point at batter and say, "yes, he went")

49.  Plate umpire request for appeal on check swing (point to appropriate wing umpire with left arm)

50.  Base umpire strike on check swing appeal (while saying, "yes, he went!")

51.  Base umpire "no, he didn't go!" signal on check swing appeal

52.  Enter the batter's box (given to batter.  Extend arm with hand open, palm up, while telling batter "stay in the box" or something similar.)

53.  Game is ended due to weather.  (Pro umpires are required to enter the field...even after a long rain delay...face the press box and waive both of their arms over their head.)

54.  Cover the field (with the tarp)  (Face the head groundskeeper and waive him onto the field.) 

ROTATIONS/MECHANICS

55.  Plate umpire's first-to-third rotation (2, 3 & 4 man crews) signal

56.  Base umpire's first-to-third rotation (2, 3 & 4 man crews) signal

57.  Tag-up rotation

58.  Time play

59.  Reverse rotation (3 & 4 man crews)

60.  Hold (given by an umpire who decides to not go out on a fly ball to another umpire who would have had to cover that umpire's base had he decided to go out.)

61.  I'm staying home

62.  "I'm going out" (Usually given by a wing umpire when he decides to go out on a fly ball.  Holds arm out at belt level and points at his covering partner while saying, "I'm going out.")

63.  Possible infield fly (traditionally a touch brim of cap with the index finger)

• Like 1

lawump

Your games must be like watching an aircraft marshaller at the airport, on an aircraft carrier, or an instructor in Morse code.

How many of these can you use in the courtroom without being ejected?

Hey, gotta have some fun with that list. Nice job in just 20 minutes.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2016 at 7:48 AM, UMP45 said:

On 9/7/2016 at 7:55 AM, basejester said:

All signals are made up.  Do you think this is objectively a bad idea, or just an indicator of a low-level umpire? 

22 hours ago, UMP45 said:

Both.

Could not disagree more.

The "wipe off" signal is unnecessary.  For example.  With R1 and R2 and less than 2 outs, PU will signal infield fly, I'm going to third if R2 tags on a fly ball.  BU would mirror the IFF signal and point towards first to say he's got R1 tagging and the play into second.

Now, let's say there's a wild pitch and the runners advance.  PU would now signal that he's staying home.  By giving the new signal, it should be understood the the IFF is off.

OR

Let's say the batter strikes out and there's now two outs.  PU should signal that it's a time play and that he's staying home.  Again, by giving the new signal, it should be understood that the IFF is off.

Also, did anyone list the "slow roller" signal for 3 or 4 man?

• Like 2

It bothers me when I hear other umpires regard those who may use a certain signal as being inferior. Yes I agree, the wipe off is not needed once you have signaled your other intentions with two outs  However it is a useful signal and is just another form of communication that we as umpires use. I've seen all kinds of signals used by AAA guys all the way down that I thought were kind of odd but when it comes down to it, it's about communication on the field. Nothing wrong with the wipe off signal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lawump said:

Seriously, for guys who use it...what is the "wipe off the infield fly" signal?

I've seen both a swipe down the arm (elbow toward wrist) and a swipe down the belly (like you're wiping something off your shirt).