Getting the stink out

fishnfed
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2691 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Does anyone have a good product or method for getting the sweat stink out of hats and mask pads?  I have tried washing in Tide and rinsing with a garden hose and washing in the top shelf of the dishwasher.  It helps but I must be extra stinky, because it still smells like a goat's hindend.

Thanks,  Wally "FishnFed"

Fabreeze works, and dryer sheets in your bag.

If it is really bad - replace pads/hats

Dryer sheets also keeps bugs out of the bag

This has always worked for me in my baseball gear and hockey bag

I wash my stuff in my washer on the "sanitize" cycle maybe twice a year. Helps keep everything fresh.

Beyond that, I make sure I use Febreze's antibacterial spray every time I wear my gear and that seems to help a lot.

Sunlight.

When school ends and when fall ball ends I wash my gear in a big tub and spread everything on the deck to let it sit in the sun for a day or two.  

During the season I'll set everything  out now and then to let the sun get at it.

The sooner you can get your gear dry after each use the more you're doing to slow the growth of bacteria.  I stow my pads in a swimmer's mesh bag after games so they get a lot of air.

I do three things:

1. Make a spray with essential oils and water. I like citrus like grapefruit or lemon. Spray and wipe down equipment after game. 

2. Always take equipment out of bag when get home. Leave in open area. Open up shoe bags and stuff shoes with old socks stuffed with cotton balls. 

3. At the end of season, let hang equipment outside for a day to get the fresh air. Once smell fresh, then store gear for winter. :(

• 2 months later...

Hats...buy new ones...I do every year. During season I will wash them at least 2-3 times...into washer with my pants, shirts mask pads, shin guard pads, System 7 CP pads...detergent and a little disinfectant in the load, does wonders. After every use I spray and wipe down the hats with a disinfecting spray to remove salt stains and sweat, dry them in garage away from sun to help with fading.

I spray down my CP, shins and HSH after each use and I alternate since its pretty common for me to work multiple days in a row. I use Dollar Store anti-bacterial spray and let it dry while I'm cleaning my shoes.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk