New Mechanic?

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2786 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've seen it before -- maybe it's this umpire's preferred positioning, or maybe it's an experiment.  It's a good look if there's a swipe tag; not so good on a tag right at the base (unless he's right on top of the base -- and then there's the risk of getting hit if the throw is missed -- perhaps not much of a risk at that level).

I've seen it multiple times now and personally love it. I view it the same as a play at third or home. We try to get to the back side of the bag in those two instances, so why not at second too? You still have time to move due to a longer throw and get in a good position to see a tag.

2 minutes ago, tjohnson said:

I've seen it multiple times now and personally love it. I view it the same as a play at third or home. We try to get to the back side of the bag in those two instances, so why not at second too? You still have time to move due to a longer throw and get in a good position to see a tag.

except, third and home moves are baseline extended, where the move in the video is the opposite side competely

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

except, third and home moves are baseline extended, where the move in the video is the opposite side competely

Well I still think its baseline extended (first to second baseline extended), or at least that seems to be where he's trying to get too. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying too. 

Just now, tjohnson said:

Well I still think its baseline extended (first to second baseline extended), or at least that seems to be where he's trying to get too. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying too. 

I see what you mean, ...it just looked as though he was trying to get around to the outfield side and not just the baseline extended ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

I see what you mean, ...it just looked as though he was trying to get around to the outfield side and not just the baseline extended ....

Maybe so. I think it will give a much better view of when the touch occurs, although I'm not sure if it would work with a left-handed hitter because if the shortstop comes to take the throw, U2 wouldn't be able to move that way, and it is possible that U2 could get blocked out either way (2B or SS). It really depends on how well they move and adjust late.

• Like 1

The mechanic would work if U2 started outside and then read the throw and moved (based on "swipe" or "collision").  But, then U2 would be out of position for (some) double play calls.

Starting inside and then moving outside is NOT a good idea for most of us schlubs and the level we do.

• Like 1

The mechanic would work if U2 started outside and then read the throw and moved (based on "swipe" or "collision").  But, then U2 would be out of position for (some) double play calls.

Starting inside and then moving outside is NOT a good idea for most of us schlubs and the level we do.

Yeah I think it's an experiment. We will see.

• Like 1

Bad idea to use it in 2-man, jut because if there's an overthrow, you have a lot longer distance to run than the runner to get to 3rd and you have to cross the base path.

You definitely have to read the fielder a little bit. If he catches and puts the tag on the inside of the bag (most likely play imo) you might need to be in different spots depending on his body orientation. That might be another reason U2 is so close in the video, so he can change his angle a lot more with one or two steps.

I have seen this, but only in 4-man games. This is MLB - the stuff we call, we probably would never get away with this, but these guys work day in and day out with each other.

If they are making a call from outside (no runners on), they get to the same area, maybe they feel it is a great angle.

I would guess it's just taking the wedge mechanic that some of us use at home, (and sometimes 3rd) and taking it to second base for steal attempts. Get that unobstructed angle where the ball and the runner are going to meet. While I love it for plays at the plate, as stated above several times, at 2nd base this is not something most of us should be trying to do.. 

I would guess it's just taking the wedge mechanic that some of us use at home, (and sometimes 3rd) and taking it to second base for steal attempts. Get that unobstructed angle where the ball and the runner are going to meet. While I love it for plays at the plate, as stated above several times, at 2nd base this is not something most of us should be trying to do.. 

Good post. I agree!