Base Shoes

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2780 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On August 29, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Thunderheads said:

not leather, or synthetic though .....how do you keep that clean?

Scrubbing bubbles gets into the mesh pretty well but that may be why I'm on my 2nd pair. I just found some leather air max 2009s on Finish line clearance if anyone's interested! 

5 hours ago, JDavis225 said:

Scrubbing bubbles gets into the mesh pretty well but that may be why I'm on my 2nd pair. I just found some leather air max 2009s on Finish line clearance if anyone's interested! 

I have found, in my experience, that using Scrubbing Bubbles, Simple Green, etc on Latest Gen shoe materials is a bad idea. Too abrasive, or likely leaves the material more UV reactive and prone to UV decay. I now use water, the sport shoe cleaner that Famous Footwear, Foot Locker, etc. sell, and then waterproof spray them a few minutes after. 

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

I have found, in my experience, that using Scrubbing Bubbles, Simple Green, etc on Latest Gen shoe materials is a bad idea. Too abrasive, or likely leaves the material more UV reactive and prone to UV decay. I now use water, the sport shoe cleaner that Famous Footwear, Foot Locker, etc. sell, and then waterproof spray them a few minutes after. 

Water, and a solution of Murphy's oil soap and water is best.  I only use scrubbing bubbles for caked on stuff, every once in a while.  It's never a "regular" cleaner for my shoes.

@MadMax ...  what sport cleaner?

I like a lot that New Balance does in their shoes, but the deal breaker for me is that they have some of the lowest heels around. I've got pretty flat feet, and while their arches aren't bad, the low heels put a good bit of strain on my calfs and lower balk. Not only the older lines, but the new line that just came out this year or last have it. Just their style I guess.

Just now, scrounge said:

I like a lot that New Balance does in their shoes, but the deal breaker for me is that they have some of the lowest heels around. I've got pretty flat feet, and while their arches aren't bad, the low heels put a good bit of strain on my calfs and lower balk. Not only the older lines, but the new line that just came out this year or last have it. Just their style I guess.

@scrounge, have you tried heel-inserts, full-sole inserts or orthotics? One of the reasons certain New Balance shoe models – the NB460 plate shoes especially – are rather voluminous inside is to accommodate inserts and orthotics. Perhaps a consult with Dr. Scholl or The Good Feet Store might be worthwhile?

@Thunderheads (Jeff), it's made by SofSole, and carried by Famous Footwear and Amazon. Amazon has the "Sport Set" so inexpensive you'd be a fool not to get it, as it has the cleaner, the waterproofing spray (which is nowhere near as effective as a Nikwax or Penguin product, but I'm not spraying it on to waterproof my shoes... I'm spraying it on to "seal the clean", and keep dirt and mud from staining my shoes) and a pair of odor balls. The odor balls are especially worthwhile as I can toss a "new grenade down the hole" into my plate shoes – which already don't breathe well – after a 2-game stretch and I won't have to try and gulp air through the window on my drive back home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scrounge said:

Just use some rolled up newspapers under your heels.