Working solo

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2792 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I agreed to work a 10u scrimmage by myself last night for a friend's team. Other than the jack wagon who wanted to complain about the strike zone starting with the 2nd pitch, the night was fun. 

The best part was on a check swing and out of habit, the coach yells at the catcher to "ask for help" so when the catcher turned to me, I pulled off my mask, pointed to myself and said "Did he go?" And then I quickly said "NO!"

Lots of laughs from the fans and the coaches too. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Umpirechick1 said:

I agreed to work a 10u scrimmage by myself last night for a friend's team. Other than the jack wagon who wanted to complain about the strike zone starting with the 2nd pitch, the night was fun. 

The best part was on a check swing and out of habit, the coach yells at the catcher to "ask for help" so when the catcher turned to me, I pulled off my mask, pointed to myself and said "Did he go?" And then I quickly said "NO!"

Lots of laughs from the fans and the coaches too. 

I had a coach gripe about a check swing when I was working LL juniors by myself. I wanted to take a really long step towards 1B, paired with a really exaggerated point, and yell "DID HE GO?" and just freeze there. 

• Like 1