Lead Runner stays on base

Guest Gerald Davenport
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2793 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Gerald Davenport
I could use anyone's expertise and time, if you have it.

I may have called a play wrong, but I was going on what I was instructed, or so I remember, from a long time ago, as this situation does not happen very often.

If a player is on first, or first and second, and a ground ball is hit, and the LEAD runner stays on the base( if lead runner on first stays on first, or lead runner on second stays on second) and the defender tags him, is he out or safe?

I know two players cannot occupy the same base, but I was instructed, and read the rule that the player is safe, unless two players are there.

Now if the defender touches the base, the follow runner is out on a force (batter-runner going to first is out or runner from first to second is out), but the runner, the lead runner, is safe, because they are on the base.

Please advise about this situation, which does not happen very often.

Thank you.

contact directly at: 684e7bc4@opayq.com

6 answers to this question

When the ground ball is hit in your situation the runner(s) is forced to advance. Therefore he does not legally occupy the base he is on and is out if HE is tagged BEFORE the base is tagged. If the base is tagged AND THEN the runner is tagged while on the base, the runner is safe because the force has now been removed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stk004 said:

When the ground ball is hit in your situation the runner(s) is forced to advance. Therefore he does not legally occupy the base he is on and is out if HE is tagged BEFORE the base is tagged. If the base is tagged AND THEN the runner is tagged while on the base, the runner is safe because the force has now been removed. 

Correct.  And (this might be why the OP is confused), if the lead runner is NOT forced to advance (e.g., R2, R3, ground ball, R2 advances but R3 does not), then the base belongs to the lead runner, and the lead runner is SAFE if tagged while on the base.

Guest Gerald Davenport

Thank You all.

I think my confusion was The Runner was on base as the fender tagged the runner and the base at the same time.

What is that call?

9 minutes ago, Guest Gerald Davenport said:

Thank You all.

I think my confusion was The Runner was on base as the fender tagged the runner and the base at the same time.

What is that call?

You have to umpire so to speak... in your mind what occurred first? The tag then the base? Double play... base then tag? One out and the initial runner at that base is safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

You have to umpire so to speak... in your mind what occurred first? The tag then the base? Double play... base then tag? One out and the initial runner at that base is safe.

I am certain the runner was tagged first.  Absolutely certain.

• Like 3