Setting up "camp"

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yeah.. I know.. I know...

It was pretty far down the line.  This was 10u so not much of a chance of getting a ball down there but even if it did, they could get to the ball pretty easily.  And besides, it's Fall Ball, the games don't even count. :P

18 minutes ago, stl_ump said:

Yeah.. I know.. I know...

It was pretty far down the line.  This was 10u so not much of a chance of getting a ball down there but even if it did, they could get to the ball pretty easily.  And besides, it's Fall Ball, the games don't even count. :P

I'm good with that!

34 minutes ago, stl_ump said:

New complex?  We've been here for at least 15+ years.

Exactly... I still call it the new complex. I played home high school games at the old one.

I started my umpire career at Ballwin Athletic Association. I'm back there helping out and instructing.

STL:

I intend no disrespect but I'd be embarrassed to work with a partner who had that much gear set up in live ball territory. Aren't there any options for shade or privacy outside the fence. I can understand fluids you need to get to between innings but beyond that I would think this setup would complicate you relationship with coaches. Many of the baseball complexes here in AZ have a small room for umpires working multiple games so it's not as much of an issue for us.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

No offense taken...

Not sure how it would complicate the relationship with coaches but I've had several conversations with coaches as teams are switching over for the next game and they have all been cordial and good natured.

Fall Ball here is very low key and relaxed and all the games are treated as scrimmages.  For the most part everyone is out getting used to the new dimensions and rules for their age group.  It's a very nice atmosphere.

Regular season...?  Now that's a different story.

22 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Exactly... I still call it the new complex. I played home high school games at the old one.

I started my umpire career at Ballwin Athletic Association. I'm back there helping out and instructing.

Nice!  I've done a few games at Ballwin and my kids played quite a few games there as well.

At one of our complexes where most of the sectional or state LL tournaments are held in our district, we stake claim to a potion of the park called "Umpire Hill".  When tournaments are running, there are usually at least 3-4 pop up canopies, a few "family size" coolers and we surround that area with our vehicles.  Basically "circling the wagons", if you will.  It is a very rare occasion that a non-umpire (our spouses excluded) ventures into the friendly confines for "umpire hill" uninvited.  If gives us our own little haven to get away during your off games.

Camp can be fun.............

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

At one of our complexes where most of the sectional or state LL tournaments are held in our district, we stake claim to a potion of the park called "Umpire Hill".  When tournaments are running, there are usually at least 3-4 pop up canopies, a few "family size" coolers and we surround that area with our vehicles.  Basically "circling the wagons", if you will.  It is a very rare occasion that a non-umpire (our spouses excluded) ventures into the friendly confines for "umpire hill" uninvited.  If gives us our own little haven to get away during your off games.

Camp can be fun.............

Yep -- and that's completely different from "setting up cam in live ball territory down the LF (or RF) line" as in the OP.  I get that it's level / area dependent, but I view the OP in a negative light.

21 minutes ago, basejester said:

Stuff in live ball territory stresses me out.  I want to minimize the number of objects and creatures on the field.

I know what you mean but on this field and this age and skill level...?  Stress is the last thing that would be showing up.