Stingrays and heatwaves and traffic, oh my!

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2765 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

The staff at Safeco truly is one of the best. Customer service is priority #1. "The Mariner Way."

Except for the security guard in the Diamond Club that was AWFUL about telling me I couldn't meet them. 

• Like 1

Seating host confronted me in the top of the ninth and said "do you have seats in this section?" in my ear without any warning that he was behind me and without letting me answer started to physically push me away from the tunnel. (I would like to point out that my seat WAS in the section.) Bottom of the ninth, after the last out I ran down and he stood up from the sets down there and blocked my way to the closest corner to the tunnel, and then when Chad Fairchild looked up at me, he moved in front of me and ruined any chance of getting to talk to him  

Fantastic customer service. 

20 hours ago, Stk004 said:

The staff at Safeco truly is one of the best. Customer service is priority #1. "The Mariner Way."

Yeah thats a much better view of balls and strikes! LOL

On 8/25/2016 at 11:25 PM, Rulekeep said:

This is literally the most pretentious umpire bullSH*# I have ever heard and that includes everything that came out of my own mouth when I was 14. 

This is literally the kind of answer that makes me think you'd be a bad partner to work with.

On August 28, 2016 at 1:22 PM, HokieUmp said:

This is literally the kind of answer that makes me think you'd be a bad partner to work with.

omg..... THAT is what makes you think I'd be a bad partner....... I should honestly just have a "Rulekeep F*** Up Hall of Fame" so every time you think about making comments like that, you can actually go look at everything that came out of my mouth when I was 14  

Fun fact: I don't umpire for you. Or for any of my partners. I umpire purely for myself and my own emotions for the game. (:

9 hours ago, Rulekeep said:

omg..... THAT is what makes you think I'd be a bad partner....... I should honestly just have a "Rulekeep F*** Up Hall of Fame" so every time you think about making comments like that, you can actually go look at everything that came out of my mouth when I was 14  

Fun fact: I don't umpire for you. Or for any of my partners. I umpire purely for myself and my own emotions for the game. (:

For the first paragraph - since I've never mastered how to split a person's post to respond to each part - it's not the words out your mouth that bother me.  If you can get taxpayer money to build that HoF, go for it - the Braves are soaking the Atlanta tax base for hundreds of millions, why not someone from U-E?  The words are nothing;  you think you're the only person that said stupid crap at 14?  I'm 51, and I'm still saying stupid crap on a decently consistent basis.  Likely to keep doing it, too.  You're hardly unique in that regard.

No, it's the attitude those words reflect.  If you don't think that you and your partner(s) are a team on the field, then yeah, I find that s--t problematic.  Yeah, we own our own calls out there, but even basic mechanics reflect a partnership - I can wear a lot of grief in a game if you aren't where you're supposed to be.  Players and coaches don't know whose call is whose, and don't care to know - they're gonna yell at the guy they think effed up.  If I'm covering because you're out of position, I'm wearing that, and I won't appreciate that.  Game management requires partners to support each other.  Rodeo-clowning some jagoff requires support.  Etc.  So, yeah, if you're literally out there strictly for you, and don't think we're a team, it gives me pause.

Part two.  Fun fact:  we all umpire for our own reasons, and for ourselves;  there's no special snowflake-ness in that.  You do you, and I'm not asking that you umpire for me.  I ask that you umpire with me, though.  In one of my groups, there's one guy I'm particularly not-fond-of.  But during the that game, I'm his partner, and I'll have his back during the game, even if he causes the crap-storm.  And I'd hope he'd have mine, because there's no one else out there that will.  You think that's pretentious, so I'd think you'd be a bad partner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HokieUmp said:

No, it's the attitude those words reflect.  If you don't think that you and your partner(s) are a team on the field, then yeah, I find that s--t problematic.  Yeah, we own our own calls out there, but even basic mechanics reflect a partnership - I can wear a lot of grief in a game if you aren't where you're supposed to be.  Players and coaches don't know whose call is whose, and don't care to know - they're gonna yell at the guy they think effed up.  If I'm covering because you're out of position, I'm wearing that, and I won't appreciate that.  Game management requires partners to support each other.  Rodeo-clowning some jagoff requires support.

I'd like to see where you thought I said umpires weren't a team...I was irked at the fact that I had a thread going about a trip to Seattle for which I was excited, and dragging the Mariners, (an integral part of being a Mariner's fan,) and then having the joke ruined by "Wrong." 

Also there's important differences in the stupid things a 14 year old and a 51 year old say...like 14 year olds say "Star Trek: Enterprise wasn't that bad" and 51 year olds say "special snowflake" as if their entire generation didn't spend so much time teaching the 14 year olds that they're all unique and should appreciate that and then punishing, guilting, or mocking them for doing so. 

On 8/30/2016 at 11:59 PM, Rulekeep said:

I'd like to see where you thought I said umpires weren't a team.

The part where you replied to "There are three teams" with "This is literally the most pretentious umpire bullSH*# I have ever heard"  Although the words weren't directly spoken, the implication wasn't far away.

Also there's important differences in the stupid things a 14 year old and a 51 year old say...like 14 year olds say "Star Trek: Enterprise wasn't that bad" and 51 year olds say "special snowflake" as if their entire generation didn't spend so much time teaching the 14 year olds that they're all unique and should appreciate that and then punishing, guilting, or mocking them for doing so. 

Oh, all 14 year olds ARE unique.  But you've made an assumption of me as part of a generation, as you have of 14 year olds (sidebar, Mr Speaker:  a lot of generalizations have been made, and not by the member from Virginia....).  If you knew me at all, you would know the lesson *I* would teach and have taught, is "Yes, little snowflake, you ARE unique.  Just like the other seven billion snowflakes.  Doesn't make you all that special unless you actually DO something."  A very different message, and not one that ends up as an ABC Afterschool Special.  (For those too young to remember.)