Batted Ball Hits Umpire

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2755 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBR 5.05 (6.09) (b) (4): The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out when: A fair ball touches an umpire or a runner on fair territory before touching a fielder. If a fair ball touches an umpire after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or having touched a fielder, including the pitcher, the ball is in play. 

So my question to you all is since there's no provision for "directly through or by a fielder," as soon as the ball passes any infielder in any way, is it just play on? 

6 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

Not sure if this was your inspiration for the post but I was watching this at it happened. Announcer mentions that it might have hit the pitcher, I think it just missed him. http://m.mlb.com/video/v985795183/pitmil-martes-single-bounces-off-umpire/?game_pk=448404

No actually, it's just a rule that puzzles me a little. In this case if it hit F1 it's play on, if not it's a dead ball and the batter is awarded 1st. But my question is say U2 is in the outfield grass in deep B and there's a hard one hopper up the middle that hits U2. F4 was playing closer to 1B so he was nowhere near the ball. Is this a dead ball or just play on? 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:42 AM, Stk004 said:

No actually, it's just a rule that puzzles me a little. In this case if it hit F1 it's play on, if not it's a dead ball and the batter is awarded 1st. But my question is say U2 is in the outfield grass in deep B and there's a hard one hopper up the middle that hits U2. F4 was playing closer to 1B so he was nowhere near the ball. Is this a dead ball or just play on? 

If the umpire is in the outfield (on a 90' diamond, then he is working 4-man. If he is hit by the ball, then it has obviously passed all infielders and the ball remains live.

If he gets hit by the ball, in the outfield - someone needs to talk to him about moving. There is plenty of time to avoid the ball.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maineump said:

If the umpire is in the outfield (on a 90' diamond, then he is working 4-man. If he is hit by the ball, then it has obviously passed all infielders and the ball remains live.

If he gets hit by the ball, in the outfield - someone needs to talk to him about moving. There is plenty of time to avoid the ball.

Yes, if he's U2.  And then I wouldn't describe the position as "deep B."

But, plenty of U1s and U3s have been hit "in the outfield."

• 1 month later...