Lineup Question

umpire_scott
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2804 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For some reason I always question myself in lineup scenarios when a DH is used.  I'll read the rule book, feel confident that I've got it down, and then in the heat of the moment question myself.  So here was today's situation.  The team was batting nine with a DH for the F1.  HC comes to me between innings and says he is taking his pitcher out and his F3 is going in to pitch. Then his F7 was moving to First base.  And a player was coming off the bench to move to left field.  Since F1 did not have a spot in the batting order and was leaving the game this kills the DH correct and removes him from the game?  So I had the new player come in and take the DH's spot in the batting order and then the former F7 and F3 who are know F3 and F1 respectively maintain their spots in the order and are simply position changes?  Did I get this right?

For some reason I always question myself in lineup scenarios when a DH is used.  I'll read the rule book, feel confident that I've got it down, and then in the heat of the moment question myself.  So here was today's situation.  The team was batting nine with a DH for the F1.  HC comes to me between innings and says he is taking his pitcher out and his F3 is going in to pitch. Then his F7 was moving to First base.  And a player was coming off the bench to move to left field.  Since F1 did not have a spot in the batting order and was leaving the game this kills the DH correct and removes him from the game?  So I had the new player come in and take the DH's spot in the batting order and then the former F7 and F3 who are know F3 and F1 respectively maintain their spots in the order and are simply position changes?  Did I get this right?

We don't care about defensive positions. The DH remains hitting for the guy that subbed into the game for the pitcher (the guy coming off the bench). Just worry about how the batting order works in regards to the DH. Don't worry about defensive position. Simply, the DH is not killed unless the actual DH enters the game on defense or if the guy being DHed for comes in on offense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

We don't care about defensive positions. The DH remains hitting for the guy that subbed into the game for the pitcher (the guy coming off the bench). Just worry about how the batting order works in regards to the DH. Don't worry about defensive position. Simply, the DH is not killed unless the actual DH enters the game on defense or if the guy being DHed for comes in on offense

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not in OBR. If that's what he was using, then he did it correctly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

This answer is correct for FED.  Scott's original scenario is correct for OBR and NCAA.

7 hours ago, Stk004 said:

So F7 to F3, F3 to F1, and Bench player to F7. So F1 comes out and F7 comes in. Right? Wouldn't that be the only change? I'm new to lineups. 

Yes, that's the only change.  And, since F7 can't have a DH (in OBR), the new F7 has to bat in the DH spot.

This is simple -- just remember that a player's spot in the batting order can't change.  The original F3 and the original F7 still bat where they were.  The only opening is the spot that F1 vacated.

This is a tournament that uses modified OBR.  They probably didn't even factor in for this situation being different in OBR and HS.  They do allow the following lineups: Bat 9 play 9; Bat 9 play 9 with a DH; Bat 10 with an EH, or bat your lineup.  I guess since it does not specify  and it's "OBR unless specified otherwise" then I would go with the OBR DH rules. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, umpire_scott said:

This is a tournament that uses modified OBR.  They probably didn't even factor in for this situation being different in OBR and HS.  They do allow the following lineups: Bat 9 play 9; Bat 9 play 9 with a DH; Bat 10 with an EH, or bat your lineup.  I guess since it does not specify  and it's "OBR unless specified otherwise" then I would go with the OBR DH rules. 

The key here is, does the DH have to hit for the pitcher? That's the reason the DH is lost in the OP under OBR.